PDA

View Full Version : Seeping shaftlog?

rewells
04-28-2003, 01:03 PM
Hi Gang,
I have a fine little 30 foot ketch (1976, Basil Day built, Fred Geiger design). She is very traditionally built and dried out a bit too long a few few years ago during a refit and things may have gotten shifted a bit in the deadwood aft when she was in the slings. She acquired a slow seep from the area. I have hers plans and don't figure stopwaters will do it.
Planks look good down there (She's alsmost a canoe at the water line) but could it be a seep where the planks kiss the big timbers? Or leaking through the cracks (spaces) betweeen timbers? Other ideas? How to fix? Treatments of the seams haven't helped. A man at Cutt's in Oxford thought a shaftlog tube would fix it(?). Would appreciate to hear about some conservative
approaches.
Thanks

Dave Fleming
04-28-2003, 06:48 PM
How much is it weeping?
If it is truly the shaft hole weeping then a shaft hole liner/tube might fix it but if you are not sure it would be a lot of work for nothing.
Stern Post has the plank rabbet in it ie: a double ender type? If so and slings were set so that they could tweak it, then that could have started a rabbet seam just enough to cause an annoying seep.

Donn
04-28-2003, 06:53 PM
Was the shaft disconnected from the power train when she was hauled?

Downwind
04-28-2003, 07:15 PM
Use hot (almost boiling) wax poured through a bored hole down to the shaft log area. Keep the shaft turning while pouring and for awhile after. This is the method old wood shrimp boats used for sealing off worm holes and leaks around the shaft log. :D

Dave Fleming
04-28-2003, 07:42 PM
Funny that bit about hot wax.
Out here on the left coast as a vessel got 'tired' and those small leaks started around the garboard, stern, stem etc. it was time to install some zerk fittings either directly into the hard wood or on a length of pipe/tubing driven into a bored hole. Pump some waterproof grease in there and watch where it oozes out. Amazing how far along that stuff would travel before coming to the surface of the timber/s.

rewells
04-29-2003, 09:04 AM
smile.gif Thanks. Interesting ideas. Similar to Bud McIntosh's technique of pumping a cartridge of butyl rubber in to a bored hole. Thought about doing that but thought that the rubber might not move to where I need it and only interfere with my cutlass and flax stuffing box functions. Do you guys think liquid (cartridge) butyl rubber would help or hurt? I am trying to figure ways to pump hot wax or waterproof grease... I will study the plans closely tonight to see if Dave's specific point on the the stern post rabbet as a possibility. Nevertheless, it is a pesky thing. Need to pump bilge about once or twice a week and she used to be totally dry. (We were able to use the bilge for storage on cruiuses just a couple of years ago!!). BTW, she is in water all year.

Dave Fleming
04-29-2003, 10:04 AM
Without ANY experience with that butyl stuff I would be inclined to stay away from it. Check out the rabbet and other structural members before doing anything drastic.
Remember the 'grease job' was a last resort for tired hulls fine for work boats but on a yachit???

Mrleft8
04-29-2003, 10:36 PM
You might want to see a urologist about this... :D