PDA

View Full Version : fein multimaster

Paul G
11-27-2005, 10:29 PM
Thinking about getting the fein multimaster. Does anyone have experience with this tool, it is really as useful as the sales people say?

Paul Pless
11-27-2005, 10:59 PM
Do the google search thingy of this site. Lots of threads about Fein Multimasters.

JimConlin
11-28-2005, 12:06 AM
Mine has earned its keep as a detail sander, but I find that I use it even more as a saw for certain close-quarters applications. Next time i need to clean out a teak deck seam, it'll be the first thing i try.

Hal Forsen
11-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Awesome tool for all kinds of boat work and home remodeling chores. I do wish the accessories were cheaper.
HF

rrowlands
11-28-2005, 03:02 PM
I bought (rather invested in) mine two years ago and used it for detail sanding, small sawing and reefing out teak deck seams. Awsome tool. You won't reget spending the $$.

Tom Robb
11-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Very nice tools. We used them in school.
WAY too expensive :eek:

Meerkat
11-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Fein is selling the mulitmaster (with accessories) along with a 14V Fein cordless drill as a holiday package special. If I only had the $$ ;)

Figment
11-28-2005, 03:49 PM
Mine hasn't left its case in two years.

It does things other tools can't do, and does them really well. When you have need of it, it's a fantastic tool. I just haven't put myself in a position to need it much since I bought it.

Paul G
11-28-2005, 04:35 PM
thanks for your input,
its very easy to get buy tools that never get used more than a few times, the fein sound very useful

gary porter
11-28-2005, 05:03 PM
Paul, the multimaster is in my opinion worth purchasing. I've had one for several years now and use it quite a bit. The accessories are very expensive but I find it best to just by the ones I need instead of kits. The most used ones that I have are the profile kit for sanding detailed areas and the E cut blades are really great for cutting in areas that other saws just won't get to.
Gary

Ellis Rowe
11-28-2005, 05:05 PM
I like the utility of the tool, but am somewhat disappointed with the durability. When I first bought mine the switch went within a month. No problem, the store replaced the entire tool. Now, a few years later, the switch is gone again. One of their vacuums died on me after 13 months, and they charged me full price to rebuild it. I should say, that I am not hard on tools. I just retired a Porter Cable router that I bought used 30 plus years ago.

Ellis Rowe
11-30-2005, 08:41 PM
Sent my multimaster in to be repaired. Bruce at Tool Tech tells me it's probably the speed control rather than the switch. He also says that their vacuums don't last long with the sheetrock tapers. He highly recommends Metabo tools, as more durable, repairable, and cost of parts, which he termed outrageous on the Fein tools. Hope he wasn't preparing me for sticker shock on my repair bill. I do have a Metabo jitterbug sander that I've had for many years. It has lasted well, but really doesn't get much use since I've gone to RO sanders. I haven't seen a Metabo catalog for some time, so don't know if they would have something comparable with the multimaster. The same for Festool. I would check their current catalog for a similar tool.

Concordia..41
11-30-2005, 08:57 PM
I'm going on 4+ years with a Multimaster and about that with the Mini-Turbo shop vac and recently (year or so ago) invested in the Turbo II and 6" random orbit sander. They're not used daily, but see a lot of use, wear and tear, and a lot of sitting for weeks when I go off and do something else. At the WBS I convinced myself I needed the 14 volt cordless drill :D

I've never had the first problem. If I did, I'd call Fein.

Alan D. Hyde
12-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Good idea, Donn.

This from someone who slices open his toothpaste tubes and gets an extra few days out of them.

Sometimes, it PAYS to be cheap... :D

Welcome back.

Alan

[ 12-01-2005, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Alan D. Hyde ]

Concordia..41
12-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Donn, welcome back! That's Yankee ingenuity at its finest. :cool:

JimConlin
12-02-2005, 08:06 PM
I've had some inconclusive tests of using cast cutter blades on my multimaster. Their hole needs to be enarged a bit. They cost about $10 per. As I said, i'm not convinced they're a bargain even at that price.

Greg Luckett
01-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Jim,
What sort of cast cutters? More detail please?
Thanks,
Greg.

Ellis Rowe
01-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Still no parts for the multimaster. Fein says they may be two more weeks.

JimD
01-21-2006, 07:14 PM
I prefer the ThighMaster.