PDA

View Full Version : Paint Stripping

twahl
03-03-2001, 09:54 PM
What would be the quickest and most effective way to strip paint off the side of a boat? I tried to sand it off a while back but it was taking entirely to long and I lost interest (Bass fishing picked up). I was wondering if maybe chemical stripper was the way to go. I would appreciate any advice on this.

PilotArt
03-04-2001, 06:50 AM
PeelAway Marine Safety Strip is the way to go.

It is a wet paste that you trowel on thickly and cover with the special paper that comes with the PeelAway.

Next day, paper and (almost) all the old paint will easily come off attached to the paper.

Costly but worthwhile.

Art

Scott Rosen
03-04-2001, 02:45 PM
I just bought a new heat gun. That with a real sharp scraper works well. I saw a guy try to strip his bottom (his boat's bottom, I mean), with peel away or something like that. It went on fine. Problem is, it didn't peel away. It also didn't wash away with a hose. He spent two full weeks with a scraper trying to get the peel away off. That's enough of a reason for me not to use the stuff. I've used the old-fashioned strippers, the ones with the chemicals that will burn a hole in your skin. They work well, but only if you use them out of doors where you can wash it off with a hose, and where the runoff won't cause any harm to other surfaces of your boat.

[This message has been edited by Scott Rosen (edited 03-04-2001).]

Bob Cleek
03-04-2001, 02:57 PM
Heatgun or blowtorch... A LOT cheaper and no wet mess... just sweep it up.

PilotArt
03-04-2001, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Bob Cleek:
Heatgun or blowtorch... A LOT cheaper and no wet mess... just sweep it up.

Agreed, especially with a SHARP scraper, but be careful.

The 'Safety Strip' is a LOT less work and the wrapper takes care of the mess.

Most important, never let any stripper of any kind dry before removal, as it may be more work to remove then than the paint was.

Art

Wayne Jeffers
03-04-2001, 03:23 PM
When Scott asked about which brand of heat gun we would recommend for stripping paint, my first thought was "Bernz-O-Matic." I've never used the electric kind and thought I was hopelessly behind the curve. If so, I guess I'm not the only one, eh?

No doubt the electric kind is not as hot, and thus it should be easier to avoid scorching the wood. But if you acquire the skill at using the torch, it is inexpensive and works well.

Wayne

ihrig
03-06-2001, 07:26 PM
Another thing is to use Jasco Paint, Varnish, and Epoxy remover. You can keep it from drying and let it "cook" longer by covering it with wax paper after application.

Because the stuff evaporates, there is no strange gostbuster green goo to clean off after scraping the painto off. Use gloves it stings on the skin.

I have tried other paint removers, they don't work as well and the cleanup of residue is awful.

lee
03-06-2001, 09:18 PM
I have found a weed burner and a long scaper to be the best, it works really well as a two person operation. Remember to wear a respirator and keep the flame moving Not to close to the boat either you just want to blister the paint not burn down the boat.

Flyingrumrunner
07-04-2003, 01:45 PM
For what it's worth I've had excellent results with a few coats of the Orange Citrus stripper you find at a home improvement store. One coat, wait an hour put another on, wait, then use a scraper and the stuff just peels off. Could have been easy due to a bad paint job by the previous owner though.