PDA

View Full Version : Excitment Plus

WX
07-28-2007, 06:28 AM
Well, I've always said that one of the things I like about life is the fact that it is completely unpredictable.
I started out today thinking I would get a roof over the boat and yes I was happily doing this until I saw it....A large column of smoke off in the forested hillside. We haven't had much in the way of rain this year and the bush is as dry as the proverbial camel's armpit. A neighbour decided to burn a pile of old timber, and it got away...uphill. Life is going to be busy for the next couple of days.
The bush fire brigade are up there even now working to contain it...bloody good blokes to have around.

Vince Brennan
07-28-2007, 07:19 AM
Your neighbour decided to BURN trash timber with conditions like they are right now?:eek:

Do let us know when the funeral is.

WX
07-28-2007, 07:37 AM
He's a good bloke and it was an accident and if you had seen him this afternoon while we were fighting it you would have seen his pain. The total fire ban doesn't kick in till tomorrow I think. I decided last week I wasn't going to burn anything else outside. Luckily we don't get fires like they get down around Sydney or Canberra.
It's 10.30pm and there are still firetrucks zooming in and out of the property. I feel a bit toey at the moment because I feel I should be up there but I'll get some sleep and fresh for the fight tomorrow.

PeterSibley
07-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Good luck mate ...I can see a faint mist of smoke from over your way !

rbgarr
07-28-2007, 06:27 PM
I feel a bit toey at the moment ....

That sounds like a useful term (the 'toey').

What does it mean?:D

WX
07-29-2007, 12:54 AM
To be toey broadly means to be a bit nervous or anxious...
Another one is to be a bit stropy....means to be angry or upset, possibly even ready for a blue...fight. As in he's a stropy little bugger, always looking for a blue with someone.
But I'm not toey anymore...the wind has been steady from the North so the fire hasn't spread anywhere near as fast into our valley as I thought it would.
Had a good fright today, i was standing on a firebreak with a friend and something really big came down just out of sight in the bush, scared the living crap out of us!
We've actually got a chopper doing firebombing around the area, which is a first.
Bushfire Brigades having been getting all sorts of goodies since the Canberra fire.

PeterSibley
07-29-2007, 03:09 AM
yeah , we had a fire over here on Little Baldy , the fire boys turned up with new trucks and a D6...very impressive !!!

Wild Wassa
07-29-2007, 03:37 AM
"To be toey broadly means to be a bit nervous or anxious..."

That certainly is one of the broader definitions for sure.

Warren.

WX
07-29-2007, 08:37 AM
Had a phone call from one of the other residents on our community at about 4.30. She said, sorry Gary it's not over until the fat lady sings and she ain't singing, so I've just got back home from another vigil watching burning trees and cutting firebreaks.
There is something awe inspiring about a hollow 60 to 80 foot hollow tree with flames and sparks shooting out the top and sides...at night.
Staggering number of big trees coming down, you can hear them crack and crash down just out of sight and up on the ridges.

WX
07-30-2007, 04:34 AM
Spent the afternoon at a neighbour's house high up on a spur cutting a firebreak around the house. The fire won't reach there till tomorrow sometime. The house is probably about 700 ft up and the main ridge behind it would have a highest point of around 1,000-1,100 ft. After the sunset we stood in a saddle and watched the fire burning along and down the main ridge, we could also see 4 firetrucks up there with red and blue flashing lights...there are probably around 30-40 blokes up there doing a controlled backburn.
We heard from one firefighter that a property owner on the other side of the main ridge threatened to shoot the firefighters if they came on his land and has actually started a fire himself. If true I hope the bastard has the book thrown at him...firebugs are in the same league as sex offenders in my opinion.
Anyway I guess it will be our turn to backburn tomorrow.
Stay turned for the next exciting episode of "Life in The Bush."

Larks
07-30-2007, 06:59 AM
firebugs are in the same league as sex offenders in my opinion.

'couldn't agree more mate, we're on a couple of acres in the Gold Coast hinterland and I've just moved my H28 up there for a total rebuild (once I've finished building the house there). The day after the move up we had a bit of a scare with a small fire down the valley, quickly controlled but apparently deliberately lit by some drongo who decided to burn some rubbish without clearing around the area or having any way of keeping it in control.
When the firies' came past my block later to check the bush fire tanks (we have a few 5000 gal' concrete tanks strategically placed around the area specifically for them) they said the guy was pretty peaved that they came on to his land to sort it out for him and wasn't at all thankful.
Anyway, it's got me looking into my insurance to make sure the boat is covered for bush fire - so far it seems to have the insurance agents stumped how to cover a yacht for bushfire as opposed to an onboard fire or workshop fire.
Meanwhile though, good luck with the backburning - (what a shame it'd be if it turned back on the knob over the ridge!!)
cheers
Larks

boatbear
07-30-2007, 06:06 PM
“We heard from one firefighter that a property owner on the other side of the main ridge threatened to shoot the firefighters if they came on his land and has actually started a fire himself.” - Maybe something to do with a ‘crop’?

It is an odd time of year for fires, but at least you aren’t out there in 40 degrees C.

This thread highlights another issue – that of language. Perhaps there is a case for starting a glossary of OzSpeak for the benefit of non-oz forumites . I’m pretty sure Dingo would have a few contributions.

Good luck with the fires.

Charlie

The Bigfella
07-30-2007, 06:23 PM
Good luck there mate. I've been on the losing side in one of those situations - and it isn't nice. At least, as has been said, it isn't hot.

WX
07-31-2007, 04:10 AM
Well, we've done what I hope is the final backburn and it's looking good, can even see the stars tonight.
here's a few photos from today.
http://bambooman.gallery.netspace.net.au/albums/album01/00002_G_001.jpg

Peter Sibley, this truck might look familiar to you.

http://bambooman.gallery.netspace.net.au/albums/album01/00006_G.jpg
Blackboy trees burn really well but they cope with it really well.

http://bambooman.gallery.netspace.net.au/albums/album01/00011_G.jpg

Back burning around a house, this country is very steep but as you can see we had a good firebreak. The bloke sitting and looking totally buggered is the bloke that lit the fire.
The general feeling though is that he has done us a favour, better to have a slow cool burn now that a hot one in the middle of Summer.

ishmael
07-31-2007, 04:21 AM
Best of luck, mate. We've had some real hummers in our west this summer. Nothing up my way, it's been wet enough they don't get started.

Wow, from the photogs that looks close. Nothing to trifle with, if it's close get the hell out. You can rebuild houses, you can't replace a life. Very best of luck.

WX
07-31-2007, 04:31 AM
Thanks Ish, luckily we don't get the sort of fires they get further south. Our biggest problem is the ruggedness of the country, it makes it hard to contain them.

ishmael
07-31-2007, 05:15 AM
Norman McClean,(sp) one of our better writers, in his last book, does a pretty good job of telling about our fire fighters. It's a tragedy, so don't expect a happy ending.

The Mann Gulch fire. You saying about the rough terrain reminded me. These were kids, average age probably twenty, and they parachuted into a fire that just overwhelmed them. The fire was topping, it was in a place not easy to control, and all twenty young men burned up. I think one survived by hunkering under some brush. Smoke jumpers is what they called them. "Young Men and Fire."

Larks
08-02-2007, 04:23 AM
Thanks Ish, luckily we don't get the sort of fires they get further south. Our biggest problem is the ruggedness of the country, it makes it hard to contain them.

How's it all going with the fires? I take it no news is good news?
cheers
Larks

WX
08-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Hi Larks, there's nothing left to burn here, it's moved on south and south-east. The Rural Fire Service crews up this way are starting to tire and I have read they are thinking of bringing in crews from elsewhere. There are something like 23 fires burning in the Northern Rivers area.

The Bigfella
08-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Breeding season for the birds too. That'll have done some damage. Do you get Pittas at your place? Beautiful birds - saw some in the bush on a rello's farm up near Lismore once.

WX
08-03-2007, 06:39 AM
pittas, if it's the bird I think it is then yes...has a particularly beautful whistle sort of call.