PDA

View Full Version : Marmalade's Star Turn Update

Ian McColgin
07-18-2007, 07:42 AM
Folk may remember Marmalade’s star turn. What I did not go into at the time was that I was to be paid $1,000 for the use of the boat, my services sailing her, and the attendant risks and expenses I incurred. This story ran in today’s Cape Cod Times. I am among the many still owed. Adams, by the way, moors his just this year very nicely restored classic motor yacht “Carrolsel” near Marmalade but appears to have no pangs of conscience when we sail past.

'CHATHAM’ FILM BILLS LEFT ON CUTTING-ROOM FLOOR

By Robin Lord
STAFF WRITER
July 18, 2007

When West Barnstable director Dan Adams announced earlier this year that he would film his new movie, "Chatham," on Cape Cod, local businesses hoped it would give an off-season boost to the economy.

But now several businesses and individuals that worked on the film during March and April say they have been left holding the bill.

Cape Cod Central Railroad CEO John F. Kennedy said his company is owed "multiple thousands" for the use of a train in one scene.

"We took a leap of faith and thought it was a nice thing to do, when they asked us at the last minute," he said.

Adams said yesterday that he still owes between $40,000 and $60,000 to local businesses, primarily because filming went over budget and an investor pulled out. He said he took out a personal loan to make sure all of the film's crew and actors — including stars David Carradine, Bruce Dern, Rip Torn and Mariel Hemingway — were paid. He added everyone should be paid within the next three weeks."We're chipping away at it," he said. "Like any business, you can run into trouble."

Sheila Macomber, co-owner of Macomber Sanitary Refuse Company in Marstons Mills, said her company hasn't been paid for nearly three months' usage of a construction dumpster. She said Adams has been non-committal in conversations about the bill.

"If we knew it was going to be a charity, we might have rethought it," Macomber said.

Dennis antiques dealer Michael Power said he is considering legal action in order to recover the $4,500 balance owed to him from broken and lost antiques he leased to the film company. Furniture and nautical items are among the missing, he said. While someone from Adams' company did pay him $1,000 initially, Power said he hasn't received anything more.

Several non-union extras in the film said recently they are also waiting for payment.

Before yesterday, both Kennedy and Power said they have placed numerous telephone calls to Adams, as well as to the film's producer, Michael Mailer, and none had been returned. But, last night, Kennedy said Adams called to say he would be paid soon.

Adams said on Monday he had not returned telephone calls because there have been so many and he has been focusing on finishing the film. Mailer said the film is Adams' "baby," but he will help him to make good on the bills.

The screenplay for "Chatham" was written by Adams and is based on an early 20th Century novel, "Cap'n Eri," by Cape Cod writer Joseph Lincoln.

The fact the film is a period piece for which lots of vintage clothing, props, and scenes were needed, made Massachusetts Film Office Executive Director Nick Paleologos skeptical it could come in at or under its $3 million budget.

"To pull off a movie like that on a budget like that would be a minor miracle," he said.

Paleologos said Adams' energies at this point may be going toward finishing the film so he can market it."Do I think he'll make good (on what he owes vendors)? Yes. But, the only way to monetize a film is to show it to people," he said.

Adams said he couldn't predict what the final cost of the film will be, but knows he has a film that's worth more than it cost to make.

He's hopeful he'll finish editing by fall, and release the film sometime this winter.

Despite the budgeting woes, Adams said he still believes his film brought Cape Cod an infusion of business for the six weeks or so it was being shot at a handful of locations.

"There was a multiplier effect and part of the intention of this film was to do exactly that," he said.

Chatham Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Danielle Jeanloz said that while the movie created some local excitement, there was only a "modest" increase in business during the time "Chatham" was being filmed.

She said the most lucrative impact could be felt down the road. "Maybe when the movie comes out, it will give people the thought that maybe they should come to Chatham," she said.

Robin Lord was an unpaid extra in the film "Chatham." She can be reached at rlord@capecodonline.com.

Paul Pless
07-18-2007, 08:23 AM
Pretty common ethics among filmmakers. The 'production companies' for even very large and successful films seem to quite often go broke before the bills are paid.

elf
07-18-2007, 08:32 AM
40% cash deposit up front - use their credit card for the gas, eat their food

Andrew Craig-Bennett
07-18-2007, 08:34 AM
That shape of cash flow explains why film making is a high entry premium business.

I put some friends in the way of chartering their boat to a TV production company; they got paid very quickly, but TV companies may operate in a different way.

Brian Palmer
07-18-2007, 09:16 AM
Is this the same Dan Adams that left Gannon and Benjamin in the lurch during the construction of the 60 ft schooner "Rebecca"?

See, for example, the following:

http://www.svbetsy.com/clips/rebecca.htm

Hope everything works out for you, Ian.

--Brian

Ian McColgin
07-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Yes. He certainly has good taste in whom he stiffs.

MarkC
07-18-2007, 09:28 AM
the film's producer, Michael Mailer ... Mailer said the film is Adams' "baby," but he will help him to make good on the bills.

Payments are the producer's job! He should be fielding all questions and problems.

Rick Starr
07-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Is this the same Dan Adams that left Gannon and Benjamin in the lurch during the construction of the 60 ft schooner "Rebecca"?

Oh no, THAT Dan Adams. What a bastard. Flowers wilt as he walks past. The paucity of his IMDB presence (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0010871/) leads one to believe that he's a bit out of his league with this one.

Ian did you know of this at the time?

I hope they resolve this to your satisfaction.

Hughman
07-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Put a lien on his boat.

Ian McColgin
07-18-2007, 10:56 AM
I knew about a John Savage movie called "The Mouse" from '96 that left a trail of debts, including to Mary Ellen's then boyfriend. "Chatham" is better financed and more likely to actually get through production.

I'd forgotten his role in Rebecca even though I'd read Ruhlman's book.

I still had fun and actually do expect that I'll see both my money and the film.

Michael s/v Sannyasin
07-18-2007, 10:57 AM
and put a lien on his film. If it's his "baby", he'll pay out of his own pocket pretty quickly.