PDA

View Full Version : Did we start something?

huisjen
07-10-2007, 07:19 AM
The Girlfriend knows some people who are preparing for a memorial service for a woman about to die of cancer. One of the things requested for the service is Israel Kamakawiwo'ole singing Somewhere Over The Rainbow - What A Wonderful World.

How long has this been in vogue as a memorial song? Is its popularity something new, possibly even spread by Joes tribute to Meerkat?

Dan

Uncle Duke
07-10-2007, 07:45 AM
How long has this been in vogue as a memorial song?
Well, at the very least since Iz's own memorial service video - he died in 1997, but I don't know when the video was made:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=brRsRTTp1Pw

Wild Dingo
07-10-2007, 09:13 AM
What a wonderful world has been "in vogue" for some times... we used the version by Kiwi Ricki May really moving and appropriate I think

Another One
07-10-2007, 09:14 AM
My thought exactly, Unc. I've seen that video before somewhere, and THAT was a truly amazing service. 10,000 people turned out, according to imdb.com.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
07-10-2007, 09:23 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about people planning a memorial service before I died. Actually, for the most part I want to be burnt, and send a case of beer to a few friends and forget the rest of it.

Another One
07-10-2007, 09:25 AM
I see it a lot in terminal cases, Peter. But usually it's the intended guest of honor making those requests. Remember in Love, Actually, where the mother had asked to have her casket wheeled out to the sounds of the Bay City Rollers?

Bruce Hooke
07-10-2007, 10:35 AM
My great uncle planned out various aspects of his memorial service before he died. He was in his late 90's and in failing health so it was clear the end was near. One of the pieces of music he requested was the overture to The Marriage of Figaro. I always think of him now when I hear that music.

BrianW
07-11-2007, 12:15 AM
I like PMJs version.

pcford
07-11-2007, 01:06 AM
I like PMJs version.

My brother died recently; this kind of stuff has been on my mind lately.

In my grandparents 'time, people were uncomfortable about sex. In my parents' time, they were uncomfortable about death. Our generation has reconnected to the fact that death is a part a of life. And it should be noted.

The person is gone and he ain't just hauling a load of pigs to Tacoma.

The passing of a friend should be noted. It's a matter of respect.

Wild Dingo
07-11-2007, 08:33 AM
My brother died recently; this kind of stuff has been on my mind lately.

The passing of a friend should be noted. It's a matter of respect.

And the passing of a brother more so... condolences to your family and his family and friends pc :(

Another One
07-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Okay, then, here's a question: What song would y'all want played at your funeral? Personally, I love the a capella version of Be Thou My Vision, but I also thought Springsteen's Red Headed Woman would be fun. (Are we actually going for "fun" here? Maybe we'll just call it comic relief.)

Jami

huisjen
07-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Okay, then, here's a question: What song would y'all want played at your funeral?

Uhhh? Smoke On The Water?

http://www.cp-tel.net/pasqualy/kingmole/242F.jpg

(Just joking.)

pcford
07-11-2007, 01:29 PM
And the passing of a brother more so... condolences to your family and his family and friends pc :(

Thank you, sir. Ain't easy.