PDA

View Full Version : Krylon UV Resistant Clear Coating for topcoat

sdowney717
07-08-2007, 07:02 PM
http://www.metropartsmarket.com/craftpaint/krylon-c5s4.html

You can buy this at Michaels arts and crafts for 5$ a can.

I have been thinking of trying this on varnished wood as a way of stopping the uv sunlight from wrecking the finish.
My idea was to protect wood stained with minwax oil stain, coated with minwax water based polycrylic and topcoat with the krylon clear coat spray.

Some on the groups said this is good for uv protection on photographs
And perhaps on wood would be the same. Perhaps this would extend the life of the finish a lot, people on the groups said photos did not fade even years after spraying this on.

Alternatively I was wondering about clear coat spray used on cars but that is much pricier.

Any one done this?

garland reese
07-08-2007, 08:05 PM
I do believe that the urethane clear coats used on autos do have some UV protection in them, though I don't know just how much.

Wild Wassa
07-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Krylon is popular here amongst my friends for painting small repairs and painting small jobs like dinghy foils. I use it to colour paint fiberglass foils. The guys from Bartondale Marine use and recommend Krylon for painting small repairs on glass and timber. It was after Bartondales' recommendation that I tried it. Changing from Holt's to Krylon has been a good move for small jobs.

It would be good to see a 345gm can here for only $5US, which is less than $6AU. In Australia we can buy Krylon from Autobarn stores for $16 a can. I use 4 cans of Krylon to topcoat a large dinghy foil and I give the paint a month to cure before I cut and polished the paint or recommend to the clients that they do the same. Like all spray paints from a can Krylon sets very quickly but stays soft for a while.

Somewhere on this Forum I have a Krylon post recommending it for use on timber ... but only when Krylon is sprayed over an epoxy coat on boats that are dry sailed. Krylon sticks well to well primed and unprimed clean epoxy and fiberglass surfaces. Krylon hold up well to UV exposure.

Clear 2 pack water based polyurethane like Aquacote from BoatCraft Pacific, I'll stick on any unprimed timber. The stuff is brilliant under UV. I painted the Douglas Fir window frames on the exterior of our home in unprimed Aquacote Clear. It is still as good as the day it went on, which is a few years ago now. Aquacote is sold in the US. Aquacote is expensive compared to most marine paints but well worth every cent. Aquacote Clear is used by some spray painters for top coating autos.

Warren.

sdowney717
07-08-2007, 08:43 PM
I have a nice looking mahogany seat box on the flybridge.
I stained it with oil based minwax gunstock color
topped it with polycrylic satin which is a water based polyurethane and right now it looks great.
But I assume it has no uv protection. Polycrylic is clear non yellow and really easy to use.
http://www.minwax.com/products/protective/polycrylic.cfm

I assume if the wood surface is stable not going to swell from moisture cycling the krylon should stay on.

donald branscom
07-09-2007, 01:42 AM
http://www.metropartsmarket.com/craftpaint/krylon-c5s4.html

You can buy this at Michaels arts and crafts for 5$ a can.

I have been thinking of trying this on varnished wood as a way of stopping the uv sunlight from wrecking the finish.
My idea was to protect wood stained with minwax oil stain, coated with minwax water based polycrylic and topcoat with the krylon clear coat spray.

Some on the groups said this is good for uv protection on photographs
And perhaps on wood would be the same. Perhaps this would extend the life of the finish a lot, people on the groups said photos did not fade even years after spraying this on.

Alternatively I was wondering about clear coat spray used on cars but that is much pricier.

Any one done this?

Clearcoat from a spraycan may help but cars use acrylic urethane two part which is fuel proof and is much tougher.

Don Z.
07-09-2007, 05:51 AM
Without commenting on the Krylon (an item with which I have no experience), the problem with using the same clear coat that is used on cars is that wood expands and contracts much more than steel. The lack of flexibility built in to clearcoat systems will cause failure as the substrate changes shape.

Wild Wassa
07-09-2007, 11:26 PM
Krylon isn't just for amateurs to use ... but it is simple to use. You don't have to buy Krylon from an art and craft store.

Plenty of wooden boats have automotive paint jobs on them ... you can usually tell the ones that do because they look so classy.

If you are worried about paint cracking on a wooden boat ... then wood perhaps, isn't for you.

The day someone comes up with a paint or a varnish that doesn't degrade or crack ... don't forget to tell me about it.

Warren.

sdowney717
07-18-2007, 04:44 PM
I painted it on a mahogany chest seat box and so far I like it.
In a few months, I will try and update as to how its holding up.

The wood was oil stained with minwax gunstock color,
Then coated with polycrylic satin
and topcoated with the krylon UV resistant spray.

Dont spray it if it is too humid like in the morning. It went slighly cloudy and I ended up using a sharp razor blade to scrape down a small area and resprayed.
Spray it in the shade when the humidity is down or in a cooled AC room.
The surface has a nice glossy hard feel to it. And it dries fast. It is very well adhered to the surface, no signs of peeling off.