PDA

View Full Version : What follows the collapse of the Immigration bill?

George Jung
07-08-2007, 01:17 PM
There's an interesting article in The Economist, discussing where we go now that the Immigration bill is toast. Sounds like it's going to be a hodgepodge of state laws, with little in common state to state, and ranging from draconian to 'sanctuary states'.

.....one likely consequence will be an outbreak of ad hoc law-making in cities and states. Liberal and Hispanic enclaves may follow the example of National City, on the outskirts of San Diego, and declare themselves to be “sanctuary cities” where police officers are told not to quiz people about their immigration status. Others—probably a greater number—will tell the cops to do precisely that, or enact other laws against illegal immigrants and the people who house and employ them.
One such place is Arizona, where Janet Napolitano, the governor, signed a bill this week imposing stiff penalties on employers who hire illegal immigrants. Those who are caught once will have their licences suspended; a second offence will put them out of business. Even the governor admits the bill is too broadly drawn and will be hard to enforce. She signed it, she explained, because the federal government has shown itself to be incapable of dealing with illegal immigration.
One in ten workers in Arizona is illegal, according to the Pew Hispanic Centre......

Laws such as Arizona's will make life more unpleasant and unpredictable for illegal workers. But they will not curtail either illegal immigration or illicit working as much as supporters claim. Subcontracting, which is common both in farming and in the construction business, makes it difficult to punish companies for employing dodgy workers. In any case, the border has been so porous for so long that people now have plenty of reasons to steal across it other than work. Of five aspiring immigrants who spoke to your correspondent in Smugglers' Gulch earlier this week, three were trying to join their families. .....

Americans have made it clear over the past year that they want the federal government to do something about illegal immigration. It is hard to know whom they will now blame for its failure......

but then they go on to note both the Rips who crowed loudest at the bills' defeat, as well as the Dim majority, may feel a backlash, and point out the Hispanic vote is growing rapidly, and leans primarily left.

What a mess.

http://www.economist.com/world/na/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9443515

Cuyahoga Chuck
07-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Having 12-16 million illegal aliens wandering around our country is a BIG problem. As such, the last thing needed is a hurry-up solution.
The basic problem is the pent up desire of more untold millons of Central Americans to get into the United States. Solving the current mess and letting it happen all over again is no solution at all.
At the moment the State Deptment is in gridlock trying to issue visas to all the highly skilled foreigners that we have a need for. At the same time we can't staunch the flow of low skilled, half literate illegal aliens.
What we need is a solution that reverses the above. Half measures like what has been proposed are not going to cut it.

Nicholas Scheuer
07-08-2007, 07:05 PM
In other words, Status Quo.

Moby Nick

glenallen
07-08-2007, 09:16 PM
I'm ready for amnesty for all illegal aliens.
We have enough Americans in prison already. Do you (we)want to double our prison population with illegal aliens?
No, we don't!

If you ain't ever truly loved a Mexican, you ain't ever truly loved a Mexican.
Mexicans are really Americans. Don't get caught up in Nationalism as it is spoon-fed.
Let's keep All Our Mexicans and send all our Lobbyists and Legislators to Saigon.

L.W. Baxter
07-08-2007, 11:32 PM
That's an admirable notion, glenallen.

elf
07-09-2007, 05:52 AM
We hold our breath until this administration ends, while the administration does everything it can to consolidate power and be ready to overthrow the government just before the election. Simultaneously the "liberals" in Congress consolidate their numbers to control the administration and we end up in an awful last minute struggle, possibly physical, to get the administration out.

The bible belters shrink in numbers as their common sense finally kicks in when they see what's going on during the final 4 months of the campaign. That causes the administration to panic and do something really inflammatory at the last minute.

When you see the administration bringing the National Guard back from Iraq, start getting really worried.

Art Read
07-09-2007, 06:29 PM
"When you see the administration bringing the National Guard back from Iraq, start getting really worried."

Hmmm.... Why I am I guessing you're still stuck with the five year supply of canned goods and bottled water you stashed away for "Y2K"?

Here's a standing offer. The title for "MELINDA", to anyone who puts up an item of similar value, if network television doesn't show George Bush quietly sitting in the backround when our next Chief Executive is sworn in, two Januarys from now...

(Unless, of course, he has already left office for some other cause...)

peb
07-09-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm ready for amnesty for all illegal aliens.
We have enough Americans in prison already. Do you (we)want to double our prison population with illegal aliens?
No, we don't!

The bill contained no amnesty, a $5000 fine is by no means amnesty.

Howeverm, I whole heartedly agree with glenallen, I do support actual amnesty.

peb
07-09-2007, 07:21 PM
"When you see the administration bringing the National Guard back from Iraq, start getting really worried."

Hmmm.... Why I am I guessing you're still stuck with the five year supply of canned goods and bottled water you stashed away for "Y2K"?

Here's a standing offer. The title for "MELINDA", to anyone who puts up an item of similar value, if network television doesn't show George Bush quietly sitting in the backround when our next Chief Executive is sworn in, two Januarys from now...

(Unless, of course, he has already left office for some other cause...)
Art, can I bet on your side? You can have the first liberal taker, I'll take the second.