PDA

View Full Version : Live Earth!

Sue H.
07-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Awwwwh, come on now. Pleeeeeeze tell me you're watching Live Earth on TV???????

It's AWESOME!

Mad Scientist
07-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Sure, I watched parts of it (as well as parts of the Princess Diana tribute concert). I'm not a huge fan of 'pop' music, but it's always interesting to see live performances.
WRT global warming, I am definitely in the 'think globally, act locally' school of thought.
For instance, I installed double-pane gas-filled windows a few years ago. All my laundry is done in cold water. The thermostat is turned down to 16C/60F no matter how cold it gets outside. I buy locally-produced food whenever possible. Right now, I'm changing to CFL bulbs (and they were on sale!).
Here in Nova Scotia, we have one of the world's best waste-diversion programs. The only 'garbage' I produce is mostly non-recyclable packaging. Everything else gets recycled or composted. Right now, I'm down to one bag of garbage a month; could get it down to one a year if not for that packaging.
I'm tempted to stuff lots of insulation into the attic of my house, but this can cause a huge rot problem if not done properly.
The 'up' side of this is that I can't lose - even if global warming isn't the huge threat that most people believe, the things I have done will still result in money savings.:)

Paul Pless
07-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Bunch of hypocrites...

Do the Gores think we've forgotten their stance on the music industry? Do you remember Tipper's plaintive cries for censorships of the lyrics of some of the same artists that played in their little concerts?

Whatever is convenient for them, eh?

martin schulz
07-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Bunch of hypocrites...

Do the Gores think we've forgotten their stance on the music industry? Do you remember Tipper's plaintive cries for censorships of the lyrics of some of the same artists that played in their little concerts?

Whatever is convenient for them, eh?

Navelgazing again?

I wonder why you guys always believe to be the center of the world?
The "Live Earth" event takes place all over the world and I guarantee that Gore's "stance on the music industry", whatever that was or whenever that was an issue, doesn't interest anyone in the least.

Mad Scientist
07-10-2007, 05:16 PM
I am an incredibly lazy SOB...if there is a reasonbly logical argument against this 'global warming' stuff (and I suspect that this might be the case), please post it here...

Milo Christensen
07-10-2007, 05:19 PM
More Americans watched a rerun of a cartoon movie than watched Live Earth.

Leon m
07-10-2007, 05:28 PM
I watched some of it. All I could think of was , how much co2 musta been created to put on such a global show...oh well if it get the Paris Hiltons of the world to change their light bulbs to CFL's...then maybe it was worth it.

SamSam
07-10-2007, 05:38 PM
I like Sheryl Crows advice to only use 1 sheet of TP. That could certainly change the world. (note to self:think twice before shaking hands with SC)

brad9798
07-10-2007, 07:16 PM
I have no interest in the BS of Live Earth ... nothing more than an economic ploy to promote record sales and soon-to-be tours for real $$$ ...

Like Farm-Aid ... and USA for Africa ... :(

ishmael
07-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Interesting Algore swelled and died about as fast as an ephemeroptera. I guess he's not much a candidate for the Nobel today.

martin schulz
07-11-2007, 03:45 AM
All I could think of was , how much co2 musta been created to put on such a global show...

That's the classic scheiß-argument.
Almost the same as blaming a vegetarian for wearing leather shoes.

The moment some people are arguing against the current, opulent western livestyle everybody else feels cornered and lashes about. What kind of point is it, when somebody not caring about environmental issues at all, bashes others who do, because of minor in-consequences.

Art Read
07-11-2007, 10:58 AM
"What kind of point is it, when somebody not caring about environmental issues at all, bashes others who do, because of minor in-consequences."

And what kind of point is it when somebody who IS concerned about the environment, realisticaly, is "bashed" for not signing on to every whack job, crisis of the moment, sky is falling point of view out there?

brad9798
07-11-2007, 11:32 AM
Personally, unless they simply don't like to eat meat ... I think it IS important that a vegan NOT were animal products ...

I love to get preached to about animal rights and cruelty when the guy is wearing cow shoes ... has a cow interior on his car ... and a cow couch at home!

:rolleyes:

Art Read
07-11-2007, 11:32 AM
Anybody else read about that new ice core sample? The deepest yet, I believe? The findings seem to suggest a repeating, variable range of 27 degrees over the ages... We are currently at a moderatly high point and overdue for a new "ice age". Hmmm... Maybe we need more cows.

brad9798
07-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Last I checked, Ethiopia was still dry sand ... and still starving ... not sexy to talk about anymore, though. :(

Singlegrandad
07-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Has any one noticed how portly Al Gore has gotten?

I am wondering if he has a bile duct blocked. Some ginseng might help.

Paul Pless
07-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Last I checked, Ethiopia was still dry sand ... and still starving ...

Why don't they move to where the food is?we have deserts in America, we just don't live in them.

Art Read
07-11-2007, 12:06 PM
You a Sam Kinnison fan too, Paul?:)

Memphis Mike
07-11-2007, 12:08 PM
I think what my wife meant is that it was a good show. No matter what the reasons it was held for.

Milo Christensen
07-11-2007, 12:15 PM
But the point some of us should be trying to make is that televising an event that lasted so long to so many (even if it really wasn't that many) used up several gigawatt hours of electricity, most of which came from burning coal or natural gas. Only people who've bought renewable carbon credits should have been allowed to tune in.

Singlegrandad
07-11-2007, 12:20 PM
And that guy from genesis. He looks absolutely puffed up! And his singing was weak. Ginseng. That is the answer.

brad9798
07-11-2007, 12:33 PM
I hear ya, memphis!!!! ;)