PDA

View Full Version : Banning the grunt, the scream, the karate freak from tennis

ishmael
07-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Maybe I'm getting old, but watching the grand ol' gal Wimbledon I find I want more demure. The biggest scream is intimidating, seems to me. What would it take?

Figment
07-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Softer, more supple balls.

Tom Montgomery
07-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Mr. Peabody's Wayback Machine.

ishmael
07-06-2007, 05:08 PM
"Mr. Peabody's Wayback Machine."
Funny.

I mean, com'on folks. I can understand a grunt when wacking that ball, but lord. Sharapova and Williams was a scream fest, and I've noticed Williams screams louder when things are going against her.

A simple rule at a few high level tournaments ought to do the trick. I think some of the players would be lost for a bit without their scream. So be it. Call me old-fashioned, but I don't think a karate scream has a place on the court. It's obviously fashioned not from need, but to intimidate.

Looking like Federer and Williams, eh? Venus is playing very well, and Federer is, well...Federer.

I think my favorite, Ms. Hennin, has been eliminated. She really plays tennis, has all the moves, all over the court. I don't have ESPN, but I think I saw her go off the court beaten by one of the baseline sluggers.

LeeG
07-06-2007, 05:09 PM
it would take you turning off the tv and going sailing.

essaunders
07-06-2007, 05:18 PM
I turned off the Tennis and went for a paddle in the canoe. The thunderstorm had passed and it was very nice out. No grunting on the pond except the frogs.

E

ishmael
07-06-2007, 08:45 PM
it would take you turning off the tv and going sailing.

Oh, quit being an old maid. Watching parts of Wimbledon is family tradition.

Jim,

You're gonna have to reference the Pat thread on that adolescent model, but yeah, Sharapova is a cutie. Was when she won three years back at 17 and still is. I love her game face. It made not a whit of difference to the black streak, Ms. Williams. She's hot on her game, and won't be beaten unless there is a fluke. Lord, look at Venus. She's primed, fit, has a reach and is able to move well. Nobody is going to beat her, and she knows it.

merlinron
07-07-2007, 09:46 AM
banning the scream has been tried back when monica selles started with her infamous " not me" shout . she fought it and won..... changed the game in my opinion. i'll agree, it's not so enjoyable watching the sport anymore with all that screaming going on.

have you noticed all the russian and some of the other women have that same little "hop" that sharapova does as she aproaches the service line now. is this the next big fad? she is a looker no doubt, but she sure has a stone cold, intimidating "game face"!.

mrs. hennin has one of the nicest backhands i've seen in tennis in a long time... very traditionally classic one-handed,... it's nice to see someone has someone traditional form in today's power ball game. i played tennis in highschool back when the two fisted backhand was "new".... it was scoffed at, as a "terrible form flaw" at that time. the french are known for thier good backhands and thier coaches were the first and last to argue against the two fisters' style.

ishmael
07-07-2007, 10:40 AM
I played a bit in high school also. Back in the days of wooden rackets and canvas sneakers. Oh my! It's a great game.

It would be kinda fun to see a return to a normal sized racket. The great Borg, when he attempted a comeback, tried to play with a small racket and basically got laughed off the court.

I don't follow it much, but Wimbledon is an annual event I tune in to. I love that a player like Hennin still has a place in the power game of today. It's a joy to watch someone who is able to play the whole game. A little slip of a gal in the company of Amazons, she's got all the moves. And yes, a nice backhand.

Maybe the screaming is just a passing fad? I hope so.

brad9798
07-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Not a passing fad ... folks have been complaining about it for years ... at least 20 years ...

Good to see Venus on top again!!!

ishmael
07-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Two top men, Federer and Gasquet, are pushing the ball about now. It's probably tape. Narry a scream.

Federer is amazing on grass. Like Venus, I don't think he's beatable just now.

CGrant
07-07-2007, 12:35 PM
I played a bit in high school also. Back in the days of wooden rackets and canvas sneakers. Oh my! It's a great game.

But hardly the same. The new equipment makes it a different game. Not worse. I think, better. Nonetheless, different.

It would be kinda fun to see a return to a normal sized racket. The great Borg, when he attempted a comeback, tried to play with a small racket and basically got laughed off the court.

I don't mind equipment changes as long as wins w/them are put into context with the great wins of the past. How you do that, I don't know.

I don't follow it much, but Wimbledon is an annual event I tune in to. I love that a player like Hennin still has a place in the power game of today. It's a joy to watch someone who is able to play the whole game. A little slip of a gal in the company of Amazons, she's got all the moves. And yes, a nice backhand.

Hennin (sp?) has been a very good player for years. Glad to see her rise to the top. Wish there were more American women at that level. Grew up in the Martina/Chris years - miss aggressive net game, and the accuracy of the baseline game. Tennis seems to have diminished in the last 10 years in America.

Maybe the screaming is just a passing fad? I hope so.

I hate the screaming w/a passion. Ridiculous and distracting.