PDA

View Full Version : Help with listing appeal

cs
07-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Okay guys (and gals) I ocasionally use E-bay to sell some stuff and been using E-bay for quite a while. Seems like E-bay is not the mover of items that it used to be.

Here lately it seems that items I list are getting very few views and only one bid if any. I wonder if maybe there is something I can do to increase visiability without incuring enormous inseration fees? Or is it that E-bay is just not what it once was.

NOTE:
The next is not self promotion but rather an example. If the below is offensive to the rules I will edit it out.

The link below is a couple of auctions that I have going. One has been listed before and recieved no bids. The other is a new listing but usually military clothing does well. Please feel free to critique and give advice based on what you see.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrcsmittyQQhtZ-1

Chad

Uncle Duke
07-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Wednesday I had a conversation with a friend who uses eBay a lot - both buying and selling (he had just bought a 125hp Mercury which we were fitting to his runabout).
He says that the keys to selling on eBay are (1) killer photos, (2) perfect spelling, etc., (3) suggest uses which might matter to a viewer, and (4) list in the category where those uses attract the largest number of people.
From your example, using his methods:
1: a close-up photo or two showing the actual pattern would be nice. (People want to see what they're really getting, and the current pics don't really show that. Some young hottie modeling them would be a nice touch...)
2: "than", regarding shipping, should be "then". (Seems picky, but you don't want anything which makes a potential purchaser think about anything else other that what you are offering)
3: "Stylish pants which nobody else is likely to have - perfect for school, work, or partying"
4: You're might be more likely to sell it to some girl who wants 'unusual' pants to go clubbing in, so it might get more eyeballs listed under 'teen clothing' or something.
Just my $0.02, as usual.

JBreeze
07-06-2007, 09:15 AM
1) I didn't see "military clothing" in the title or description.....If I had searched on that generic term, I wouldn't have found your entry. Maybe more "keywords" would help bidders find your items? Also, americans are fat;) , so the size might be a problem.

2) I once picked up a very expensive rotary hammer cheaply, because the seller called it a "Boschhammer" as it said on the case. I suspect there were no other bidders because he didn't use hammer drill or rotary hammer anywhere in the description....I was lucky using the wildcard Bosch* and found it.

3) Overall presentation and layout are real nice, as well as the feedback rating!

Popeye
07-06-2007, 09:25 AM
.. Or is it that E-bay is just not what it once was.

the day they auctioned off an image of virgin mary in a waffle did it for me

JBreeze
07-06-2007, 09:26 AM
1) Searching on "Desert Storm" won't work because of the spelling.

2) Maybe include just "camo" somewhere in the description, too, for fools like me that can't usually spell Camouflage;)

cs
07-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Okay I did some quick editing to the night camouflage pants, didn't see the sugestion on "camo" till after I did it. I did correct the Desert Storm spelling and added Shield also. Take a look now and see if the description is better.

Chad

BTW can't do much about the size and I can't add another photo because I haven't got one handy. I do like the multiple listing idea except for the double insertion fees.

cs
07-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Edited some more. Added Desert Storm/Shield to title. Added keywords such as military, issue, camo, fashion & army.

Well see if that helps.

For the life of me, I can't figure what to do to make the Unix books see better, except I didn't add a gallery photo on the listing.

Chad

Ken Hutchins
07-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Watch you ending times. I have suff boat cheap, because of the ending time, beautiful weather saturday afternoon, most poeple were too busy boing other things.

rbgarr
07-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Ken makes a good point. Set end time for Sunday evening hours (6 pm Pacific- 9pm Eastern)

cs
07-06-2007, 11:16 AM
What I did when sitting the ending time was make sure I got the west coast. The ending time is in the afternoon on Sunday. Too late to change it to later now, but I will remember that.

Chad