PDA

View Full Version : Good news from PETA!

Art Read
07-05-2007, 11:54 AM
We can all keep our SUVs, incandescent light bulbs and cabin cruisers. It's eating meat that's REALLY causing global warming!

"Organisers of the Live Earth concerts should not sell burgers or hot dogs at the high profile gigs, an animal rights group claimed today.

Peta said that selling meat at a concert for the environment would be like selling cigarettes at an anti-cancer fundraiser because of the amount of greenhouse gas emitted by the meat farming industry.

And Peta activists said that Wembley should take meat off the menu after a recent UN report found that the meat industry creates more greenhouse gases than all the cars, trucks, ships and planes in the world combined.

Wembley Stadium is set to host the London Live Earth on Saturday, and will see acts including Madonna, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Duran Duran, Damien Rice, James Blunt, Razorlight and the Pussycat Dolls perform to draw attention to global warming.

The concerts, championed by former US presidential candidate turned green campaigner Al Gore, will take place simultaneously across the globe, with a live audience of one million, and another two billion watching on TV or tuning in on the radio or internet.

However, Peta campaigner Yvonne Taylor said that it would be "hypocritical" if the damage caused by the industry was overlooked at the concert, and said that the group had written to the managing director of Wembley Stadium, Alex Horne, urging him not to sell meat at the event.

She said: "There's no such thing as a meat eating environmentalist.

"We're saying, it's all a very good cause and obviously we're very supportive, but one thing seems to have been missed, which is that even the UN say that the meat industry causes more greenhouse gases than all the cars, trucks, ships and planes in the world combined.

"It would be hypocritical to be serving meat at an event for the environment, and if you really cared about the environment, you wouldn't be eating meat in the first place.

"At most of these event they have burger stalls, so we've written to them asking them just to have vegetarian food there. You can get vegetarian versions of hot dogs and burgers. We're just drawing their attention to the UN report.

"Trying to ignore that is wrong, and the public need to know this fact."

In the letter, Peta campaigns coordinator Marie-Claire Macintosh wrote: "On behalf of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) Europe, I am writing to ask that you honour the spirit and goal of the Live Earth concert on 7 July by ensuring only vegetarian food will be sold at the event.

"A recent UN report has pointed out that the meat industry is 'one of the top two or three most significant contributors to the most serious environmental problems, at every scale from local to global'.

"Researchers at the University of Chicago have determined that switching to a vegan diet is more effective in countering global warming than switching from a standard American car to a Toyota Prius.

"Selling meat at a concert to benefit the environment would be like selling cigarettes at an anti-cancer fundraiser. By only selling vegetarian foods, you will send a strong message that people need to change their dietary habits in order to save the planet while also introducing people to delicious new foods.

"You would be showing the world that you are committed to acting in an environmentally responsible way."

Popeye
07-05-2007, 12:10 PM
http://artandcarol.ca/artandcarol/CodroyMD-1-1.jpg

Keith Wilson
07-05-2007, 12:14 PM
OK time for lunch; I think I'll go get a burger. Anything that irritates PETA can't be all bad.

Phillip Allen
07-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Keith, if you cared, you would release that burger into the wild...

JimD
07-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Keith, if you cared, you would release that burger into the wild...

At this point its probably too habituated to humans to survive in the wild. I know it sounds cruel but at this point the most humane thing to do might be to just eat it.

Popeye
07-05-2007, 12:33 PM
http://www.heinz.com/images/world_organic_ketchup.jpgwhy else would we need organic ketchup ?

JimD
07-05-2007, 12:33 PM
PETA will probably always find a way to alienate itself from the population segment it most needs to enter into serious dialogue with but they do have a point, to a point. Cattle flatulence apparently really does create a significant amount of methane. Who'da thunk it?

Popeye
07-05-2007, 12:42 PM
"There's no such thing as a meat eating environmentalist."

they do seem to transfer their own whims onto everything , most often to the point where it becomes completely nonsensical and even absurd:rolleyes:

Phillip Allen
07-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Quote:
"There's no such thing as a meat eating environmentalist."

they do seem to transfer their own whims onto everything , most often to the point where it becomes completely nonsensical and even absurd:rolleyes:

Looks like mountain lions and bears are republicans...since they are against the enviorment...

Art Read
07-05-2007, 04:48 PM
One question for the folks at PETA. These polluting animals are polluting, naturally, just going about the business of living until we nasty humans see fit to eat 'em, right? So wouldn't we actually be HELPING the environment if we just ate 'em all up right now? I'll have mine rare, with horseradish, fresh green beans and garlic potatos, please...

ishmael
07-05-2007, 04:57 PM
I do so wish PETA would put a lid on it! Not because they are always absurd, they aren't, but as said above they alienate people by their vegan preaching.

The alternative to our factory farming of food animals would mean much more expensive meat at the grocery. I don't care about the greenhouse gases involved(the latest "cause" PETA has sought to exploit to their ends), I'm concerned that animals are raised and slaughtered humanely.

Creating a legal and ethical environment where that happens would automatically cut meat eating because the price of meat would rise by at least a third. Treating an animal like an animal, letting it be an animal, and then killing it humanely is much more expensive--at least in the short run--than raising them the way we currently do.

There are all kinds of issues involved, from the growing of the grain for the cattle in yards, where they are kept crowded and fed grain shipped from all over the country and stand for weeks on end up to their hocks in manure, to the cost in fuel(carbon if you want to go there) of shipping them halfway across the country after they are slaughtered. The system is clearly broken on many levels.

On a more romantic note, I've had some yearling does grazing in my overgrown yard today. They like it here because I don't clip much of my grass. I've stepped out a couple times today, and there they were. They looked up, I whispered soothing nothings, and they voted with their hooves--don't trust that sweet talk, huh uh. Beautiful animals I couldn't kill unless I was hungry and had not other source of protein. Hunting is fine with me, just not for me.

Art Read
07-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Seriously, though... They are making a somewhat valid point about the "industry" of raising meat for human food consumption. The point being that we now have far too many "food animals" populating the planet and farting too much. Okay. I disagree. But I like steak. But if we follow their leadership and all go vegan, what happens to the billions and billions of chickens, pigs and cows we no longer want? They never get born. True, they never end up being slaughtered, but I don't think I would want some well meaning weenie in horn rimmed glasses deciding for ME that non-existance, period, is an improvement over even a short shot at life on the farm...

(BTW, have you heard that some activists are now conserned that we humans are being "greedy" because we consume so much solar energy to produce our crops? It's true. They worry that the new push for "agrifuel" will only agrivate an already "genuine concern".... Sheesh! We can't win!)

Art Read
07-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Here's the "Solar Greed" article:

"Human greed takes lion's share of solar energy
Email Print Normal font Large font July 3, 2007

Advertisement
AdvertisementHUMANS are just one of the millions of species on Earth, but we use up almost a quarter of the sun's energy captured by plants - the most of any species.

The human dominance of this natural resource is affecting other species, reducing the amount of energy available to them by almost 10 per cent, scientists report.

Researchers said the findings showed humans were using "a remarkable share" of the earth's plant productivity "to meet the needs and wants of one species".

They also warned that the increased use of biofuels - such as ethanol and canola - should be viewed cautiously, given the potential for further pressure on ecosystems.

The scientists, from Austria and Germany, who publish their results today in the journal of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, analysed data on land use, agriculture and forestry from 161 countries, representing 97 per cent of the world's land mass.

This showed humans used 24 per cent of the energy that was captured by plants. More than half of this was due to the harvesting of crops or other plants.

The human use of the natural resource varied across the globe, ranging from 11 per cent in Oceania and Australia, to 63 per cent in southern Asia.

An agriculture professor at the University of Melbourne, Snow Barlow, said the paper showed humans were taking up too much of an important natural resource.

"Here we are, just one species on the earth, and we're grabbing a quarter of the renewable resources we're probably being a bit greedy."

Chee Chee Leung"

wakatoa
07-05-2007, 05:35 PM
I believe PETA is a USA based org for protection of animals or something but someone also told me it stands for People Eating Tasty Animals.
Is this true?

botebum
07-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Seems to me that the oceans use more of the sunlight than any other thing. Let's get rid of the oceans! Let's pump them onto the moon. Then we can rocket to the moon and go sailing in the earthlight and woo our wimmens.
Nevermind just a thought.

Doug

Vince Brennan
07-05-2007, 06:00 PM
I believe PETA is a USA based org for protection of animals or something but someone also told me it stands for People Eating Tasty Animals.
Is this true?

One of my foamvourites! Use that to a PETA member and they instantly foam at the mouth!

Popeye
07-06-2007, 08:29 AM
http://www.arhyel.ca/Brigus/boat01_b.jpg

martin schulz
07-06-2007, 08:39 AM
We can all keep our SUVs, incandescent light bulbs and cabin cruisers. It's eating meat that's REALLY causing global warming!

Nothing new really.
70% of the energy put into a piece of meat is wasted on the animals (unfortunately animals are NOT just "meat-producer" but use up the energy stored in their food to live) and to provide the western world with meat large amounts of cattle and pigs are needed, meaning excessive factory farming.

And then animals piss, sh!t and fart thereby causing over-fertilization and of course CO2 emissions.

Popeye
07-06-2007, 08:57 AM
somehow , 100,000 sweaty hippies , watching the pussy cat dolls perform at wembley stadium while recycling their pop cans , will pull us through the gw dilemna

peta has not the first clue about environmentalism and conservation

Keith Wilson
07-06-2007, 09:06 AM
I believe PETA is a USA based org for protection of animals or something but someone also told me it stands for People Eating Tasty animals. Is this true? PETA is "People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals", a fairly radical US animal-rights organization: http://www.peta.org/ Not surprisingly, they get made fun of a lot.

"People Eating Tasty Animals" is a parody. It's not a real organization, although you sometimes see bumper stickers and the like. There was a lawsuit over the domain name "peta.org". which the People Eating Tasty Animals fellow lost. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_Eating_Tasty_Animals

Tanbark Spanker
07-06-2007, 12:44 PM
The coos in Scotland are subsidised to the tune of 12,000 quid. You think they could afford to hire some private security.

There is great strength in the argument that meat is not good for the planet.

Popeye
07-06-2007, 12:54 PM
There is great strength in the argument that meat is not good for the planet. you mean industrial scale production of beef cattle , not the actual protein used as food

Tanbark Spanker
07-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Yes. However, I am vegetarian for my own personal reasons. Unfortunately, I cannot convert the entire world ...at this time.

I would aspire to be an admirable Jainist.

Popeye
07-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Unfortunately, I cannot convert the entire world

neither should you

extremism is its own vice

Nicholas Carey
07-06-2007, 01:13 PM
PETA will probably always find a way to alienate itself from the population segment it most needs to enter into serious dialogue with but they do have a point, to a point. Cattle flatulence apparently really does create a significant amount of methane. Who'da thunk it?But cattle methane is current-cycle carbon -- it's not adding to the free carbon load by depleting the fossil-fuel carbon bank.

Which however, you can't say about plants fertilized with petro-chemical derived fertilizers -- you might argue that meat is green, but the plant products of big agribiz isn't :D :p

Bite me, PETA.

Landrith
07-06-2007, 01:17 PM
PETA isn't just a radical organization with interesting culture jaming billboard campaigns, they also run a healthy biz in extortion using ASAM front state veternarian boards and to help keep critical precursor chemicals available for the production of street narcotics . They must be worth big bucks. Twenty years from now, the Left's version of Dick Cheney will be a PETA sympathizer.

Popeye
07-06-2007, 01:21 PM
which one is it , .. the us int fund for animal welfare , ifaw , (?)

has their head office two blocks from the white house

Bob Cleek
07-07-2007, 07:21 PM
I do believe PETA is on the FBI's terrorist watch list at this point. They are allegedly supporting eco-terrorism throughout the US. Things like setting fire to university research facilities and so on. Not nice people. True believers on a mission... dangerous.

Phillip Allen
07-07-2007, 08:10 PM
buy a hamburger and release it into the wild...do your part

L.W. Baxter
07-07-2007, 11:22 PM
I never see any of the professional protesters of PETA carrying a broom with which to sweep insects gently out of the path of their hemp-fiber sandals.

There's always somebody holier than thou.

mdh
07-07-2007, 11:31 PM
I just got my deer mount back from the taxidermist today.

From what I understand, there is no such thing as a vegetarian, not a human one that is alive anyway. It seems we require a certain amount of animal blood to survive.

brad9798
07-08-2007, 09:20 AM
ROTFL! Philip!!!

THAT is funny.

Vince Brennan
07-08-2007, 09:04 PM
buy a hamburger and release it into the wild...do your part

If you fry something, set it free.... if it doesn't come back on it's own, then hunt it down and eat it.

(*urp)

ishmael
07-08-2007, 09:25 PM
"I do believe PETA is on the FBI's terrorist watch list at this point. They are allegedly supporting eco-terrorism throughout the US. Things like setting fire to university research facilities and so on. Not nice people. True believers on a mission... dangerous."

I don't know much about them. I will give them credit for drawing attention to the deplorable state of our factory farms. I think they've done some genuine good there. When they said a decade or so ago that keeping companion animals was a form of slavery they lost my interest. If they'd taken time to watch most people with their cats and dogs they'd have known it was a form of slavery alrighty, with the pets the masters.

Brother had an Iranian friend who'd run when the Shah fell. They got to be buds at work. He commented one day, after being a part of things for few years, "Ya know Bill, if reincarnation is true I want to come back as an American dog."

martin schulz
07-09-2007, 01:34 AM
I just got my deer mount back from the taxidermist today.

From what I understand, there is no such thing as a vegetarian, not a human one that is alive anyway. It seems we require a certain amount of animal blood to survive.

Yeah right and meat is vital force...
Just tell me which component in animal blood is essential.

If you guys want to keep on eating meat feel free to do so and don't try to excuse yourselves with outlandish reasoning.

Popeye
07-09-2007, 06:22 AM
Yeah right and meat is vital force...
Just tell me which component in animal blood is essential.

hemoglobin : protein , oxygen, water , salt , iron , ...

all good things for your body

martin schulz
07-09-2007, 07:53 AM
hemoglobin : protein , oxygen, water , salt , iron , ...

all good things for your body

Sure, but also available in meat-free food.
I am sure that humans wouldn't have survived without the ability to eat both - plants and animals, but then we have evolved and apart from personal liking (whatever caused this - culture, social background, religion...) there is definitely no reason to eat meat.

Popeye
07-09-2007, 08:25 AM
there is definitely no reason to eat meat. there most definitely is a reason to eat meat , it is a source of fat , protein and essential fatty acids necessary for human health and survival , which can not be found by any other means

Popeye
07-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Sure, but also available in meat-free food.

how many vegetables have hemoglobin ?

brad9798
07-09-2007, 09:24 AM
I guess, then, a true vegetarian would also shy away from things like leather shoes ... leather belts and purses ... eggs and cheese.

Popeye
07-09-2007, 09:29 AM
surgery... plywood .. medicine ... wine ... fire extinguishers ..