PDA

View Full Version : Grantie's Pizza

Stiletto
07-05-2007, 03:12 AM
My son was working in town so stayed with me for a couple of nights.

When the family were all living here, winter sunday nights were often when I would cook a pizza for everybody. It's only thursday, but never having been a slave to tradition I decided to make a pizza again so Ash and I could enjoy it together while he is in town, just like the good old days!

I make no claims of authenticity other than it is definitely one of mine!

3 cups high grade flour
1.25 cups very warm water
1.5 teaspoons yeast granules
1.25 teaspoons sugar
salt
olive oil

Topping;( Ash's request) for this one I used:

Tomato paste (Leggo's with onion and herbs)
Flat mushrooms(with a little garlic scraped onto the underside, lightly salted before slicing )
pitted Spanish olives
lean bacon
salami
sundried tomatoes chopped finely and lightly salted
capers
Asparagus
Chili
Sweet Basil
Oregano

Cheese, (I used Edam because it has a lower cholestorol level than some others).

I turn the oven on to bake: 50C (120F)

While making it I sipped the last couple of glasses of an Italian peasant red that had been on special at the supermarket last week.

I put the flour in a 2 litre pyrex glass measuring and mixing jug,
put the water and sugar into a large mug and added the yeast once the sugar was dissolved.
The yeast will sink, once it bubbles to the surface give it a quick stir and pour into a small well in the flour.

Stir the flour with a table knife until the flour and water become one large ball. ( it should be fairly moist) add a little more warm water if neccessary.

Now put about a tablespoon of olive oil in the palm of your hands and rub all over them. With well oiled hands knead the dough until it is smooth in appearance. Add more oil to hands while doing this if neccessary.

My oven came with full size oven trays of steel about .8 of a millimetre thick, about 13" by 16.5" so I use one of these to cook the pizza on, which is good for a family size.

I use a pastry brush (really a dedicated paintbrush) to cover the tray with olive oil, and then pat out the dough evenly across the tray. I put into the oven at 50C (120F) and leave for about 25 minutes or more to rise.

This makes a light base than can be rolled thin or left thicker. It has a crisp almost fried exterior and a soft light interior.

Once it has risen I take it out and turn the oven up to bake: 230C (450F) and have another wine while waiting for the light to go out.

Once the oven is up to temperature I put the base in to precook for a few minutes. WATCH IT!

When turning golden, I quickly remove and paint a quick coat of olive oil onto the base, particularly around the edges, and then after about a minute spread the tomato paste all across the base.

I usually put the meats on first, then the mushrooms, lightly covering with cheese before putting the rest of the topping on, pouring a little of the brine from the olives to keep it all moist. The herbs go on last, along with the chillies which I put only on the right hand half of the pizza so the non chilli eaters can be catered for .
A further sprinkling of Cheese and into the oven for about 4 minutes before inspecting,

Once nearly done I turn the oven onto fan grill to nicely brown the cheese on top. Keep a close watch on it at this stage!

Remove from oven when it looks right and slice for serving.

I have used variations of this for all sorts of pizzas,it is up to you!
Camembert and blue vein with salmon is a quirky option I quite liked.

Enjoy!

This has taken longer to type than make the damn pizza!

paladin
07-05-2007, 06:08 AM
I call Ledo's.....:D

Stiletto
07-05-2007, 05:06 PM
For some reason they dont deliver here.:D

I enjoy making them almost as much as eating them.

Wild Dingo
07-05-2007, 07:23 PM
For some reason they dont deliver here.:D

I enjoy making them almost as much as eating them.

Dont deliver here either... actually no one does!! So its make yer own or go without around here... we dont buy those cardboard ones

BUT mate... ma ma maaate!! wheres the anchovies??? A pizza has to have anchovies!! :cool: and loose the olives gak puke revolting things :(

next time try the pastry in two parts... once browned and ready for the topping spead some grated edam if you must I kinda took a fancy to parmesian myself because I had some left over from making a lasange... anyway spread it between the two layers then join them together then do your top as usual

Another thing I found interesting was to mix a dollop of virgin olive oil and a splash of red wine together and use that for the starter on the base... flavors mate!! ;) I reckin thats what Italian tuckers all about flavor experience :cool:

Thinking of this young Aarons back on Saturday so I reckon since its blasted chilly around here just now I must have a lasange night!! 4in thick lasange in 3 oven roaster pans is our usual dont need any accompliments! and brilliant as a cold lunch the next day... actually so is pizza! :cool:

Stiletto
07-05-2007, 11:25 PM
I like anchovies, Ash doesnt.

You've got the right idea, custom build them one at a time, sometimes I put red curry paste on the base to add another dimension.

Your double layer pastry sounds interesting, I'll try it next time.:cool:

Lasagne sounds like a good feed for a cold night.

JBreeze
07-06-2007, 03:39 AM
I'm interested in this topic and want to try, but have a few questions:

Quote: "3 cups high grade flour"

q1: Is high grade flour a special flour? I tried to read about flour in the US, and came across something that stated the flour used for pizza is a special type (high gluten?), and not readily available to the retail consumer. Is this true?

q2: Anything special about the type of yeast used?

q3: Baking....Are the "pizza stones" worth the bother? Anyone try to make "grilled" pizza?

ANy tips would be gratefully appreciated, as with the garden soon to produce fresh veggies, I would love to try and make something that works and give up the cardboard stuff.:D

Stiletto
07-19-2007, 06:16 AM
I hadnt seen your questions until now, so sorry for a late reply.

Q1; High grade flour is best quality non self rising.
Q2 The yeast is common(here) granulated yeast.
Q3 I dont use a baking stone so cant comment,except to say it will change the amount of precooking of the base. My oven has steel trays, but I think once you have tried a few and sussed what you are doing you will get a good pizza. On a warm day I have made the base dough and let it raise on the tray in the car (which is like a mini greenhouse):D, then into the preheated oven.

rufustr
07-19-2007, 06:33 AM
Gotta have anchovies on a pizza.:cool:
Naples Pizza a couple of suburbs away will do any of their pizzas as a Calzone, which is a closed pizza.:D
Now I'm getting hungry.:mad:

Rick Starr
07-19-2007, 07:07 AM
On a trip to the mainland a few weeks back I stumbled onto the best pizza I've ever eaten. It sounds similar to yours! Red onion was a twist I hadn't thought of before-they're sweet on a pizza.

I make the homegrown kind here too, we use all purpose flour and yeast from the usual packets. Check the dates.

Thanks Stiletto!

puffin3
07-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Check out the basic pizza dough reciepe in the 'joy of cooking'. Instead of using 3 1/2 cups of all purpose flour substitute 1/3 cup of that flour with 'high glutton' flour. This makes the dough extra stretchy just like they do in athentic Italian resturants in Southern Italy.
The key is to bake BOTH sides of the rolled out dough on a hot pizza stone until barely golden then remove and then sprinke grated mozza cheese on the hot/warm thin-crust pizza shells. This process will give you a nice crispy not 'doughy' pizza shell. Don't put any tomatoe paste on the plain crust or the toppings will slide all over the place. Then put whatever toppings on you want. 'Less is always more' with authentic pizza. Don't forget the fresh basil and when the dressed pizza is ready to go back unto the hot pizza stone drizzle the top with good/great olive oil. That's the exact method small town resturants make it throughout S. Italy. There is no better anywhere.

JBreeze
07-19-2007, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the tips! Just in time, too, as harvesting fresh veggies from the garden should occur in about 2 weeks.

Yum:)