PDA

View Full Version : re-chain my heart

martin schulz
07-24-2001, 04:28 AM
well not exactly my heart, but my anchor.
I just bought some additional chain to lengthen my anchor-chain. The question is what to take to put those two chains together. I know that there are those things that look like single chain-piece cut in half that one can easily stick together. But I also heard that those "thingimagigies" have only 50% of strength. Can I take those and additionally weld them together? Or, does it make sense to open up one chain-piece and then weld it again?

paladin
07-24-2001, 07:24 AM
Do you have a swivel on your anchor chain? There should be one at the anchor/chain interface. If so, remove the swivel and use it to join the two chains together and use a regular shackle at the chain/anchor connection....or just use another swivel equal to the chain strength.

thinwatersailor
07-24-2001, 08:33 AM
On the other hand, if you've got three strand rode you ought not put a swivel in the chain lest the line unlay under pressure and come up a hockled mess. Best to use a moused shackle.

Ian McColgin
07-24-2001, 09:33 AM
There's some controversy about swivels, except huge heavey ones on a mooring. Swivels are not as strong as the size of chain they fit. The same is true of conventional shackles.

Best join is to find an anchor shackle - it's a D shape with a pin that's oval sectioned giving more beef where you put it through the chain. You'd need two to join two lengths of chain.

The split joining link can be gotten in a size as strong as you chain but you'll need to spot weld it, not just peen those little nubbins over.

Back to swivels, for anchoring (as opposed to mooring) junk 'em. You're not going to get so much twist that it's a problem. I have one all chain rode that must go in and out over a gypsy and even that is no problem with twisting. The other three rodes are chain to rope and twist is a non-issue.

I've seen those slick connectors that are designed to not clog your rollers, but like swivels, they are weaker than the chain. Get bigger rollers if you must.

I personally advocate as a minimal standard for chain leader length (this is mandated by French standards but here they are right) a chain equal to the length of the boat. In chain and rode size, the normal standards are fine.

G'luck

paladin
07-24-2001, 11:38 AM
I use three boat lengths of chain and then 7 to one scope for the anchor line. Ain't dragged the anchor yet (Knock on wood) and have sat out some nasty ones.......