PDA

View Full Version : in a turkish prison

martin schulz
06-29-2007, 07:55 AM
Berlin - German media published paparazzi-style photos Thursday of a 13-year-old British girl who alleges indecent assault by a German youth during a Turkish holiday.

Chancellor Angela Merkel told reporters in Berlin, 'Our entire purpose should be to help the youth as far as possible.' She appealed for 'caution and calm' in the case of Marco W, 17, who awaits trial in Turkey on July 6.

Turkish justice officials have voiced outrage at the German government and media taking the side of the youth, who has been kept in a remand centre in Antalya since a complaint by the girl's mother 10 weeks ago.

Merkel said, 'We are in contact with the Turkish authorities on all necessary levels,' adding that the Foreign Ministry was acting in an 'excellent' manner.

In Manchester, her family protested at the furore and said it was counting on Turkish courts to do justice.

A family spokesman told the Deutsche Presse-Agentur dpa/Rufa German radio news agency there were no grounds to negotiate with W's family, which has stirred up a media storm in Germany by attacking the jail conditions and Turkey's refusal to grant bail.

A faxed statement from Juergen Schmidt, the German lawyer for Marco W, 17, said, 'The W family counts on a fair resolution of this unfortunate situation and has respect and confidence in the Turkish justice system.'

In Turkey, senior prosecutor Osman Vuraloglu voiced outrage at German TV crews gathering outside the Antalya jail, saying the stakeout was 'an attempt to influence justice.'

He said a Monday evening call by German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier to his Turkish counterpart Abdullah Gul over the case had been 'tactless.'

Shaun Robinson, described as the Manchester family's spokesman, told RTL television, 'Their experience in Turkey was dreadful. The family wants to be left alone.'

Saying that the victim of the indecency was the girl, not the youth, the family said it had asked Manchester police to protect her from German reporters as she goes to and from school.

German television news channel N24 and its associate Pro 7 showed what it said was the girl and her sister walking along a street and over a pedestrian crossing to school.

Taken from the side, apparently with a telephoto lens, the pictures showed their school uniforms distinctly, but a picture editor had blurred their faces. German newspapers printed stills from the N24 video.

The mass-circulation newspaper Bild detailed the suburb where the children lived, their house number, the car they drove and the type of school they attended.

It quoted a TV interview with a neighbour who was asked if the complainant, named as Charlotte, had had any boyfriends.

Bild earlier voiced sympathy for Marco, with an editorialist writing, 'Women mean yes when they say no.'

In Manchester, police said the family's home was now under guard after the family complained at the media stakeout.

'They were being harassed, mainly by the German media,' a police official said.

Marco has occupied the front pages of German newspapers this week and dominated television news.

They have reprinted from the Turkish newspaper Hurriyet detailed accounts by the youth of the sexual act on a hotel bed. W said the girl was still a virgin afterwards.

Evidence reported in German newspapers alleged the girl and the youth had made friends during the holiday, had been to a disco and had gone to the hotel room with other friends.

As far as I understand the chap (17) has had a "holiday flirtation" with this British girl (13) who then claimed to be 15. I am not sure what has happened , but over here the press is suggesting that the whole situation got out of hands when the girl claimed to be raped by the German chap. The press is also suggesting that this is more or less a flirtation gone awry and a pubescent girl getting hysteric.

Tristan
06-29-2007, 12:08 PM
Sexual activity between teens is, at best, fraught with danger for the participants. At least here in the US there are no clearcut "rules" as to how kids are to enter the slippery road of sexuality, if and how they can experiment, what is harmless and what is not, etc. etc. I suppose one rule, a ridiculous one, is that all kids should eschew any sexual expression until they are adults (18, used to be 21 but it magically changed to 18) whereupon they will, on the day of their birthday, be emotionally ready for sexual activity, but only with others who have crossed their 18th birthday. Meanwhile any experimentation runs the risk of being arrested, incarcerated, and branded a sex offender for life. Kind of sad.

MarkC
06-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Anyone remember these gems as well?

Do you remember the teenager who was 'canned' with a cane in Singapore when he was caught with his friends doing a bit of grafitti on someone's car? About 1998?

Do you remember the English 'plane-spotting' group who were arrrested by the Greek Goverment and spent 3 months in prison for 'spying'. I think they were only released when the British foreign secretary went ballistic at the Greek Govt.

The Swedish mother and her daughter who were imprisoned in Tunisia when the mother? stabbed a local man who was raping her daughter - mother could not move the man off her daughter and he was threatening to kill them. They were charged with murder.

And one from Australia - a Japanese woman gaoled after she caused a car accident in which she was very seriously injured and killed her female travelling compainion. They had stopped their car and were asleep in a truck stop when they were moved on by the Police (for their own safety) - she fell asleep at the wheel when looking for a place to stop and sleep.

Three Cedars
06-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Sexual activity between teens is, at best, fraught with danger for the participants. At least here in the US there are no clearcut "rules" as to how kids are to enter the slippery road of sexuality, if and how they can experiment, what is harmless and what is not, etc. etc. I suppose one rule, a ridiculous one, is that all kids should eschew any sexual expression until they are adults (18, used to be 21 but it magically changed to 18) whereupon they will, on the day of their birthday, be emotionally ready for sexual activity, but only with others who have crossed their 18th birthday. Meanwhile any experimentation runs the risk of being arrested, incarcerated, and branded a sex offender for life. Kind of sad.

Not in the US ? How about this http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/11/AR2007061100981.html

Andrew Craig-Bennett
06-29-2007, 07:34 PM
This has not made the news here - well, not the news that I read and listen to, anyway.

If the boy was 17 and the girl claimed to be 15 he would be guilty of rape under English law anyway (the age of consent is 16) which might explain the lack of sympathy.

Has the potential to improve Anglo-German relations, at the gutter press level, no end...I can just see the headlines...

The German boyfriend crossed the Line
Parlez-vous...

paladin
06-29-2007, 07:54 PM
MarkC....
A little more info on the Singapore incident.....The youth had been before a magistrate at least two times previously, and his mother made restitution for the damage that he caused, and although there were still strong feelings, all parties went their own ways.....the last incident was too much. The boy organized a group, obtained several cans of quick drying enamel paint, and went on a spree picking very expensive cars...about three dozen before they were caught, Mercedes, BMW's a Ferrari and several others.......would you rather be caned publically for your crimes, or have the offending hand removed........and make full, no holds restitution........and don't even think about offering a toke to someone and getting caught. Selling/distributing drugs will elicit a very short trial.....and it will be the last one.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
06-29-2007, 08:12 PM
I remember the Singapore storm in a teacup quite well. I did not know anyone (I was living in Beijing and visiting Hong Kong) who felt that the Singapore Government was wrong in any way.

Rum_Pirate
06-30-2007, 01:49 PM
I remember the Singapore storm in a teacup quite well. I did not know anyone (I was living in Beijing and visiting Hong Kong) who felt that the Singapore Government was wrong in any way. Perhaps the Singapore Government could advise other Governments on dealing with miscreants.

MarkC
06-30-2007, 05:06 PM
:o Ok, alright, maybe I was wrong regarding the 'rebelious youth' in Singapore... I hope he got a good spanking.

Anyone remember the plane-spotters? :eek:

JimD
06-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Might as well include Eric Volz, currently being subjected to the Nicaraguan justice system. But its easy to point fingers at the flaws in other nation's legal and penal systems and forget how bad our own can be a times.

http://www.friendsofericvolz.com/