PDA

View Full Version : iPhones

brad9798
06-28-2007, 09:46 AM
Was just checking into them ... cool stuff and really STUPID stuff mixed together.

As in:

It runs on the old EDGE network ... which sucks ... but AT&T has the market on it. It should run on the 3G network.

It cannot download iTunes directly ... it has to interface with a computer! Hell, I thought it WAS a computer! WTF!

It only holds 2,000 songs ... and just a couple of movies/videos. Seems weak in that department.

Anyway, I'll wait, like smart geeks everywhere, for the next generation ...

At least Apple is LIGHTNING quick with next generations!!!

peb
06-29-2007, 12:47 PM
In an effort to get another religious thread going:

http://www.thestreet.com/s/five-reasons-not-to-buy-an-iphone/newsanalysis/techgames/10365549.html

This is pretty much my thinking about Apple and AT&T's iPhone.

Joe (SoCal)
06-29-2007, 12:55 PM
In an effort to get another religious thread going:

http://www.thestreet.com/s/five-reasons-not-to-buy-an-iphone/newsanalysis/techgames/10365549.html

This is pretty much my thinking about Apple and AT&T's iPhone.

How is it different from when I bought my Treo ($400) 2 years ago and locked into a contract with Verizon for 2 years and can't use modern "3G"

a VoIP program for the iPhone in due course, to run through the browser." Not even possible with ANY current cell phone. Third party apps are going to be HUGE !!!!

I may wait until the 2nd gen ... but then again I don't think I can wait. :D

Kaa
06-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Speaking of religious threads, you know that a nickname for iPhone is Jesus Phone? :D

Kaa

cs
06-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Today, Steve Jobs tells customers they can use their iPhone on any network ... so long as it's AT&T.

The iPhone is electronically "locked" so you can't use it on any other cellular system, like T-Mobile. That means you aren't free to shop around for the best deal.

Apple will only allow third-party applications that run through the iPhone's Safari browser. That's going to mean limited selection and limited functionality. This is a far cry from the freedom and innovation of true open-platform development. How does Steve Jobs know what programs I want? Or you want? He doesn't.

If you use a mobile device that runs Linux, Palm (PLMO - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr), Microsoft's (MSFT - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr) Windows Mobile or Symbian, you can choose from hundreds, even thousands, of independent programs. Hunting around for interesting new programs to buy is half the fun. That's how it should work.

You can't download songs or podcasts over the cellular network or Wi-Fi. Instead you'll need to go home, plug your iPhone into your computer, and then download the media through your iTunes account.

But it's tethered to an old-fashioned business model that is afraid of freedom. It seems a shame, especially for a company like Apple. This was Steve Jobs' chance to spark a real revolution in America's laggard mobile industry. He hasn't -- yet.

Methinks that this is why Apple will always only have just a fraction of the market, the short sightness of their CEO.

Chad

peb
06-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Your correct, its not different from your Treo. Thats the whole point. What is so revolutionary about the thing? A neat uer interface, but it doesn't fit what people would really want if they stopped to think about it.

Its a lot of money for nothing but a sleek user interface and a merging of an iPod and a Treo. There is nothing revolutionary about the phone. The author points out some features that would make it revolutionary. Namely a very slick and easy to use/connect WiFI interface that has a elegant phone integrated ontop of the WiFI.

If the phone has a WiFI connect, calls go thought that network, data goes throught that network. I can now access iTunes store cheaply over wireless. I can pay for the cheapest mobile plan offered, because I won't be using it that often. Of course its not simple. VoIP can easily be wireless, but mobility is more difficult.

peb
06-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Methinks that this is why Apple will always only have just a fraction of the market, the short sightness of their CEO.

You are about to be slammed harder than SamF. Is Steve Jobs the only CEO in America that could have survived the options fixing scandal (where Apple was apparently one of the worse offenders)?

And he claimed ignorance to the rules as his excuse. That in and of itself should have cost him his job. I have been in a position of handing out stock options. I have had employees ask about backdating. Regardless of accounting rules, you know it is dishonest.

PatCox
06-29-2007, 01:09 PM
ATT cooperates with the NSA's domestic surveiilance program, carnivore. Intercepting internet communications is legal. The government will be able to listen to every call you make, access your contacts, your browser history, probably even turn the phone on and listen to you, if they want to. Maybe even photograph or video you. Interesting stuff, this new technology.

High C
06-29-2007, 01:12 PM
[/b]

Chad

The "proprietary everything" approach has been Apple's greatest weakness. I suppose Jobs believes that he can develop the best hardware, the best apps, the best ways of doing everything, and the world will beat a path to his door. It's not going to happen. There are too many gifted developers working in other platforms for his "keep it all in-house" approach to succeed.

For all the good ideas he's had, the sad truth is that Jobs' talent has been spent building the most limited devices on the market.

ken_nyus
06-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Well I'll be heading out at 4:30 to get in line, and hopefully get one.

I walked by at lunchtime, only about 20 people on line.

ken_nyus
06-29-2007, 01:15 PM
probably even turn the phone on and listen to you, if they want to. Maybe even photograph or video you. Interesting stuff, this new technology.

The idea of someone dynamically loading a program onto your phone, that can turn the phone on and broadcast what it hears, has been shown to actually exist.

This came out in the evidence of a mobster trial a year or two back, so it appears to be true.

High C
06-29-2007, 01:18 PM
ATT cooperates with the NSA's domestic surveiilance program, carnivore. Intercepting internet communications is legal. The government will be able to....

Carnivore was abandoned several years ago in favor of commercial software.

Joe (SoCal)
06-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Haters :D

John of Phoenix
06-29-2007, 02:01 PM
This "Our Way or the Highway" attitude is what strangled Apple's success in the computer arena.

Open this sucker up to everyone. AT&T sucks and may not be able to reinvent themselves yet another time.

Jobs may be a genius but he doesn't have every bright idea on the planet. Bring on all the third party apps that anyone can invent.

ken_nyus
06-29-2007, 02:07 PM
You can invent all you want, they just have to be Web 2.0 apps, not native Mac apps.

In the end this might be a better approach to opening it up.

Tom Montgomery
06-29-2007, 02:12 PM
What? It has no integrated teleporter or stun function? I think I'll wait until these features appear in iPhone 2.0.

Keith Wilson
06-29-2007, 02:33 PM
The last time I questioned Apple I was deluged with hate mail from iFanatics. They were full of iRe. This led me to describe Steve Jobs' company as "the world's only publicly traded religion." Doubtless I will get the same response again. LOL! :D Good points in the article. It's a very nice cell phone, but revolutionary? Hardly. A VOIP mobile phone with similar features would have been. Maybe later.

Another One
06-29-2007, 02:42 PM
Okay, so if I'm not up on this stuff, and use my phone constantly but don't particularly need to watch movies on it, and yet like the idea of using it as an MP3 player, and also don't have a lot of bucks to spend . . . what do you all recommend? (My little Moterola flip-phone is due to be replaced next month.)

Oh, and after the time I accidentally dialled 411 for 3 hours, I only use phones where the keypad is covered when not in use. :)

Jami

cs
06-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Jami, one of those chocolate phones should suit you fine.

http://www.cellularchoices.net/media/products/verizon/lg/lg_vx8500c_verizon_list.jpg

Chad

Another One
06-29-2007, 03:22 PM
Are you sure, Chad? I just ask because I have an LG dryer which has turned out to be a piece of absolute crap. Hopefully their phones have a better track record?

Jami

cs
06-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Don't know for sure. I don't have one, but that is the latest phone craze that fits what you were asking for.

Chad

elf
06-29-2007, 03:45 PM
read the reviews. I don't have, or want, a cell phone or music player, but I've seen reveiws of the Chocolate that say it's trash.

Really, one needs to read Pogue and Mossberg at least to keep up.

Tom Montgomery
06-30-2007, 02:49 AM
29 June 2007: The day the world changed

http://www.yugatech.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/iphone.jpg

Apple faithful,

Today we make history. Today we change the world. Today we put a dent in the universe. Today -- 29 June 2007 -- we release iPhone. It has taken years of work from all parts of Apple. First advertising, of course. Then feng shui consultants, and design and engineering and manufacturing. Countless emergent designs, countless meetings, countless all-nighters to make every part of the iPhone, from its custom-made integrated circuits to its sleek glass screen and metal case, absolutely perfect. To those of you who serve under me at Apple, I say this: Yes, I have berated you, and insulted you, and exasperated you. Yes, I've fired your friends for no reason, and made you work harder than you ever thought you could work. Yes, I've taken you away from your spouses, your children, your transgendered domestic partners. In some cases your devotion to me has cost you your marriages. You've sacrificed a great deal for this. But has it not been worth it? For the rest of your life, you'll be able to say that you were working at Apple when the iPhone was introduced. You were here on the day when the course of human history was changed forever. Plus, you'll get a free 4-gigabyte iPhone, a $500 value. Not bad, right?

Already, around the United States, thousands of Apple faithful are lining up outside our retail shrines, waiting for iPhone. Some will approach on their bare knees, like pilgrims approaching the shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe in Peru. Just a few minutes ago we received a report that Apple faithful are also lining up outside retail shrines around the globe, even though those stores do not have iPhones and will not have them for months, maybe years. The response is, in a word, stunning. We are saving the satellite photos showing the clusters and will use them as part of our promotional material. Apple employees, view these photos and see what you have done, and then go home and tell your children -- those smallish people who live in your house, the ones you haven't seen in a couple of years -- tell them, You see those people suffering outdoors, enduring the heat and rain and monsoons just so they can get a cell phone? I did this. This was my work.

To those Apple customers who are already congregating in thousands outside our retail shrines, I say: Thank you, much love, and namaste. You have endured taunts and jeers and the incessant attention of a media starved for material in the midst of a slow summer news cycle; you've been spat upon, abused, attacked by police with firehoses and nightsticks and guard dogs; you've peed into bottles and lived on junk food. But you stuck to your principles. You remained true to your beliefs, the core one being that yes, you are special, and you deserve to be among the first in the world to obtain a device that combines telephony, Web browsing and music playing. Yes, we'll still be selling these devices a week from now, and the week after that. But you want yours now. You're making a statement. The world is hearing you.

Let's be honest about why this is happening. This is not a fad. This is not some phony hyped-up astroturfing Microsoft campaign. This is a genuine outpouring of love and enthusiasm and excitement from people whose souls have been stirred by the wonder of technology and the ability to communicate with other human beings in ways that have never before been possible. That's what this is about. It's about communicating. It's about connecting. It's about bringing the world together in common cause. It's about saying, Look, I realize there's something bad happening in Darfur, and there's some kind of AIDS epidemic in Africa, and there's some crazies who want to blow us all up, and there's a war in Iraq where thousands of people are dying for no reason -- and yes, those things are important, and someday we may take to the streets to say something about them, if we can think of anything to say about them, but for now we Americans take to the streets for this cause. Right here, right now, we take a stand. This is our moment. From pole to pole, from north to south, from east to west, let the message go out. We are Americans, (http://fakesteve.blogspot.com/2007/06/if-i-had-gun-i-would-shoot-this-guy.html) and we have values. Hear us, world. Hear us and say, Wow.

The iPhone stands for something very simple -- freedom. Apple faithful, you march today in the tradition of the marchers at Selma, in the tradition of Gandhi at the Salt March to Dandi. You have made your point. There are some things, you said, that are worth suffering for. I am proud to have given meaning to your life. I am proud to have invented iPhone and designed iPhone and brought iPhone to the world. I feel, in a way, humbled by your adoration. But in another way not humbled. Anyway. My whole life has built up to this moment. I believe that this is what I was put on the earth to achieve. I thank you all for sharing this historic day with me.

Namaste. Much love. Peace out.

http://www.fakesteve.blogspot.com/

Bill R
06-30-2007, 05:18 AM
Jami- in my line work, our phones get the cr*p beat out of them. All I buy for company phones is LG. Much better physical survival rate and better electronic life than any other manufacturer I have tried, including Motorola.

My $.02.

rbgarr
07-04-2007, 09:28 AM
It cost Apple $266 in hardware for each 8 gigabyte unit. At $599 price that's a hefty margin. Times 10 million projected sales for this year....

Joe (SoCal)
07-04-2007, 09:30 AM
I'm waiting for Ver 2.0 no video recording feature yet it gets YouTube and can play back briliant video. Probably more mem too

ccmanuals
07-04-2007, 10:02 AM
If they would have come out with an Exchange application to push mail to the phone I believe the Corporate world might have embraced it. Would have maybe given RIM a run for their money.

Tom Montgomery
07-04-2007, 02:04 PM
A few iPhone units are having some battery problems

http://i.treehugger.com/files/th_images/burning.car.500-thumb.jpg

Not to fear. Any units that have this defect will be replaced. If you feel your phone starting to get hot, just bring it in to the store and stay calm. Don't make a big deal about it. Don't scream or raise your voice or otherwise harsh the vibe. Just come in, speak quietly to a genius, and we'll slide you a new one. Okay? Everything's gonna be cool as long as nobody panics.

The genius behind "genius"

http://www.visuallee.com/weblog/images/apple_towson_genious_bar.jpg

People often ask me why the tech desk people in our stores are called "geniuses." Well, first of all, though you didn't ask, yes, this was my idea. And the reason we do this is simple. How else can you get pretentious a-holes to work for seven bucks an hour answering stupid questions about computers? Call them "clerks" or "tech support reps" and you've got to pay them at least ten bucks an hour, maybe more. Yet you should see the letters we get from Prius-driving posers begging us to put them to work in our stores and call them geniuses. A lot of them, you'll notice, tend to shave their heads to look more like me. Sad. Sometimes when we're bored we'll pull random applications out of the pile and just laugh our asses off. Half of these losers would do it for free, I swear, just so they could get the black T-shirt and hang out in our cool-looking emporiums and lord it over the poor clueless saps who drift in all upset because their precious little Macs didn't come with any manuals explaining how to use our software. Check out Carrot Top in the first photo up above. You just know that's what he-she is bitching about, right? Surprise, sucker! You bought the Mac, now you gots to dish out $59 for a book plus $40 an hour to get insulted by this smarmy douchebag "genius" who says he can't believe you're so stupid that you couldn't figure this out for yourself, since it's so friggin intuitive. I mean, what is wrong with you? Are you retarded? This after you just paid twice what you'd pay for a Dell machine. And the more we abuse these idiots, the more they keep coming back! Some of them buy two, three machines. Amazing. Honestly.

sometimes i feel like a golden god

sometimes i feel like a golden god,
glowing perfect unstoppable, a colossus
bestride the narrow world, a master
of all domains, an artist
of vast unimaginable scale,
an enigma, a tangle of contradictions--
open yet closed,
public yet secret,
cloaked like christo,
silent like cage,
white like rauschenberg,
a chef who serves
only an empty plate
shiny white
so clean so perfect so pure--
& you pay & you pay & you pay
for what?
for what is not there
for the still center
for the silent surface
for peace for ease of use
for pinch & slide & multi-touch--
this is my genius,
this is my soul & art,
my poet's heart,
sold so low, i
solo like lowell on
a brackish shoal, stroll in
whole-food supermarkets, an
angelheaded hipster with thin
smart phone containing multitudes,
songs & contacts & email & web, ringing
with rhythm of roethke,
dark, dark my light,
& darker my desire--
which i is i?
iMac, iPod, iTune, iChat, iPhone--
brilliant as bowles,
i am i, but
you are not i.
which is really
too bad for you.

http://fakesteve.blogspot.com/

Nicholas Carey
07-05-2007, 08:27 PM
I'd definately agree.... there isn't a single truly 'revolutionary' thing about the iPhone... other than, perhaps, raising the price expectation point for the next generation of devices.The revolutionary bit is the UI, not the underlying application (phone). To paraphrase the WSJ's review of the thing, what you get for your money isn't so much a phone as a quite capable handheld computer that happens to have implemented a cell phone as one application.

Touch-screen technology that actually works and works well will change all sorts of stuff (and not just in phones). Imagine, for instance, a drawing or CAD program that lets you literally draw on the screen. Wait until the screen is pressure sensitive.

As a phone, it's nice, it's beautiful, but it's still just a phone.

few3
07-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Touch-screen technology that actually works and works well will change all sorts of stuff (and not just in phones). Imagine, for instance, a drawing or CAD program that lets you literally draw on the screen. Wait until the screen is pressure sensitive.

As a phone, it's nice, it's beautiful, but it's still just a phone.

Microsoft has been working on the touch technology for a long time now.

http://www.cnettv.com/9710-1_53-27806.html

shorter one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwFjjz2BUaY

willmarsh3
07-05-2007, 09:46 PM
If I bought an iPhone here in the States and take it to Canada for a vacation will it work there?

Joe (SoCal)
07-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Microsoft has been working on the touch technology for a long time now.

http://www.cnettv.com/9710-1_53-27806.html

shorter one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwFjjz2BUaY

Microsoft Extends Xbox 360 Warranty, Costs $1 Billion

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/07/redlightssmall1.gif

In an unprecedented move, Microsoft has announced that they are extending all Xbox 360 warranties to three years to cover the "three rings of death" error code. The deal is retroactive, supporting those who have already purchased consoles and refunding those who have already paid Microsoft for repairs.

We're guessing that recent bad press of the Xbox 360's 30% failure rate spurred this decision, but we're glad either way. Kotaku has an interview with Microsoft exec Peter Moore on the topic and it's worth a read.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/mgs4-this/microsoft-extends-xbox-360-warranty-costs-1-billion-275432.php

Or

Apple Multi-touch Mouse Completely Eliminates Buttons (Again)

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/07/apple-multi-touch-mouse.jpg

The US Patent Office has spilt the beans on the (allegedly) next Apple mouse, a multi-touch device with no buttons that extends the iPhone concept into desktop computers. From the description of it, it will be both funky and useful.

According to the filing, it will have a transparent shell with a light source that will illuminate it. The user will grab the shell, reflecting the light to the sensor inside. Then, the software will interpret the user gestures and act accordingly.

If it finally materializes, it will be interesting to see how easy people adapt to the new concept. It certainly sounds amazing to me

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/ratatoucherie/apple-multi+touch-mouse-completely-eliminates-buttons-again-275095.php

cs
07-06-2007, 07:03 AM
Just did a search on Treo vs IPhone. Seems that the Treo beats the Iphone hands down.

Some of the things I saw mentioned the most.

Iphone
No real keyboard
No expandable memory
No cut & paste
No outside ring tones
Can't synch over Bluetooth
Can't search address book by typing
No one button hang up while in a different app

This was just some of the things I saw. I can add that the Treo can be used as an electronic key for the lock boxes used on houses for sale (if your area uses those) and I don't know of any other phone that can.

Of course I don't need all that extra stuff and probably in the next one or two generations Apple will fix its shortcomings or at the very least will prompt Palm to upgrade the Treo even more.

Chad

Joe (SoCal)
07-06-2007, 07:25 AM
Just did a search on Treo vs IPhone. Seems that the Treo beats the Iphone hands down.

Some of the things I saw mentioned the most.

Iphone
No real keyboard
No expandable memory
No cut & paste
No outside ring tones
Can't synch over Bluetooth
Can't search address book by typing
No one button hang up while in a different app

This was just some of the things I saw. I can add that the Treo can be used as an electronic key for the lock boxes used on houses for sale (if your area uses those) and I don't know of any other phone that can.

Of course I don't need all that extra stuff and probably in the next one or two generations Apple will fix its shortcomings or at the very least will prompt Palm to upgrade the Treo even more.

Chad

OK I'm going to break rank with what you all think I would say and say I think I'm going to wait until V 2.0 :eek: :eek:

Basically because I KNOW certain thing in the iPhone are capable and will become a fact in 2.0

#1 VOP
#2 VO-WiFi
#3 Video In
#4 Killer 3rd party apps
#5 Expandability and more memory
#6 better battery life ( although specs are not that bad)

But the phone is OSX so the fixes Chad is looking for can happen with third party apps or even a software patch - something you can not do with a Treo

No real keyboard - Dont need one
No outside ring tones - I'm not 12 I dont need the latest Uba Stank ring tone
Can't synch over Bluetooth - software fix in version 2.0 or 3rd party app

Can't search address book by typing - Software fix in version 2.0 or 3rd party app

No one button hang up while in a different app - software fix in version 2.0 or 3rd party app

As an owner and a lover of the treo I see the iPhone becoming SO MUCH MORE.

The web browser alone is a Killer app
The email and MMS is WAY better
Lets not forget iPod and Video iPod
The ability to SEE your voicemail's and delete them as you see them and not have to go through all of them before you delete. A key feature that is WAY over looked.

WiFi ability - which leads to Voice over WiFi
Muti touch Soooooo cool
Horizontal or vertical screen just by rotating it
NO STYLIST TO LOOSE !!!!!!
I could go on and on but I have to take Tess to camp :D