PDA

View Full Version : White House, Cheney's office, subpoenaed

ccmanuals
06-27-2007, 12:39 PM
This just happened about 30 minutes ago. Should be an interesting story to watch.

By LAURIE KELLMAN, Associated Press Writer 22 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The Senate Judiciary Committee subpoenaed the White House and Vice President Dick Cheney's office Wednesday for documents relating to President Bush's warrant-free eavesdropping program.
Also named in subpoenas signed by committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., were the Justice Department and the National Security Council.
The committee wants documents that might shed light on internal squabbles within the administration over the legality of the program, said a congressional official speaking on condition of anonymity because the subpoenas had not been made public.
Leahy's committee authorized the subpoenas previously as part of its sweeping investigation into how much influence the White House exerts over the Justice Department and its chief, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales.
The probe, in its sixth month, began with an investigation into whether administration officials ordered the firings of eight federal prosecutors, for political reasons.
But with senators of both parties already concerned about the constitutionality of the administration's efforts to root out terrorism suspects in the United States, the committee shifted to the broader question of Gonzales' stewardship of Justice and, in particular, his willingness to permit the wiretapping program.
Piquing the committee's interest was vivid testimony last month by former Deputy Attorney General James Comey about the extent of the White House's effort to override the Justice Department's objections to the program in 2004.
Comey told the Judiciary Committee that Gonzales, then-White House counsel, tried to get Attorney General John Ashcroft to reverse course and recertify the program. At the time, Ashcroft lay in intensive care, recovering form gall bladder surgery.
WASHINGTON

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070627/ap_on_go_pr_wh/eavesdropping_subpoenas

Osborne Russell
06-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Hope it doesn't interfere with any ceremonies.

PatCox
06-27-2007, 02:47 PM
I don't think the Cheney branch of government is subject to the congressional subpoena power.

John of Phoenix
06-27-2007, 03:31 PM
"You'll never take me alive."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2b/Richard_Cheney_2005_official_portrait.jpg/408px-Richard_Cheney_2005_official_portrait.jpg

LeeG
06-27-2007, 03:43 PM
better keep all teenagers away from the process, questions could be asked, opinions rendered.

Tanbark Spanker
06-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Isn't the location of his office a secret?

Phillip Allen
06-27-2007, 04:08 PM
I've been wondering if the Republican party would dump on the White House at the last minute to give them a better chance in the next election...?

Tanbark Spanker
06-27-2007, 04:16 PM
His is the office in the sub basement that is connected to the underground system of tunnels that are guarded by dracos? That Dick Cheney?

Cuyahoga Chuck
06-27-2007, 04:32 PM
According to The Post's Gellman, Cheney is a security nutcake. His office has his it's own security designation, "Treated As: Top Secret/SCI". All his office papers are kept in large Mosler safes. The type that are usually used to store highly classified government documents.
The operating principle in Cheney's office seems to be "everything rolls in, but, nothing rolls out".

jack grebe
06-27-2007, 07:24 PM
I've been wondering if the Republican party would dump on the White House at the last minute to give them a better chance in the next election...?
They don't need to. All they need is for the Dems. to keep the current front runners and the Reps. will have it made.

Osborne Russell
06-28-2007, 11:58 AM
They don't need to. All they need is for the Dems. to keep the current front runners and the Reps. will have it made.

I agree, though not likely for all the same reasons.

I saw Pelosi on TV couple nights ago. Pure blather. Whatever she may be intellectually and morally, she doesn't appear to be an intellectual and moral leader. Because she doesn't give straight answers to straight questions. She avoids straight speech habitually, standard operating procedure. Practically every politician does, of course.

I sure hope the Dems aren't assembling their own Frankenstein W. They don't have a clue about that game, as proven by W beating them, twice.

The Dems don't have a prayer of winning the people whose hearts were won by the Chimp. They're gone. The Chimp could get caught naked with an intern in the Oval Office and be forgiven. Illegal immigration might do him in if he got careless (not because the Dems had anything to do with it). But practically, forget it.

Who's left, and what would win them? How about -- qualifications, experience, competence and character? Hmmm . . .

John of Phoenix
06-28-2007, 12:52 PM
He's off the immigration hook. His bill just got toasted in the Senate. Bye bye legacy.

Senate Hands Down a Major Defeat on Immigration Bill
Thursday, June 28, 2007; 11:54 AM

The most dramatic overhaul of the nation's immigration laws in a generation was trounced this morning by a bipartisan filibuster, with the political right and left overwhelming a coalition of Republicans and Democrats who had been seeking compromise on one of the most difficult social and economic issues facing the country.

High C
06-28-2007, 12:57 PM
He's off the immigration hook. His bill just got toasted in the Senate....[/I]

Yay!!! :) :cool: :)

John of Phoenix
06-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Yay!!! :) :cool: :)
Ditto. (OMG!!) ;)

Osborne Russell
06-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Why did the decider decide upon this particular losing proposition?

John of Phoenix
06-28-2007, 05:41 PM
This particular losing proposition?

Well, he's battin' a thousand on losing propositions - the War on Terrorism, the War on Iraq, the War on Social Security, the War on Medicare, the War on New Orleans, the War on the Environment, the War on the Deficit, the War on the Constitution, the War on Etc.

To win the War on Immigrants would have been... unthinkable.

TimH
06-28-2007, 09:14 PM
WASHINGTON -- President Bush, in a constitutional showdown with Congress, claimed executive privilege Thursday and rejected demands for White House documents and testimony about the firing of U.S. attorneys.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1151AP_Bush_Subpoenas.html?source=mypi

Figment
06-28-2007, 09:25 PM
The War on the Constitution?

John of Phoenix
06-29-2007, 12:42 PM
The War on the Constitution?
Suspension of habeas corpus, warrantless surveillance, politicization of the Justice Dept, violation of international treaties, sanctioning torture, extraordinary renditions, signing statements, rejecting subpoenas and subverting congressional oversight come immediately to mind.

Then there's cheney.

Osborne Russell
06-30-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm just asking, why doesn't illegal immigration call for a war? Suspension of civil liberties? Suspension of habeas corpus? Torture? Why the underhand pitching? Because illegal immigration isn't a threat to our way of life and national security? I won't even get into the purity of our fluids.

Cuyahoga Chuck
06-30-2007, 01:04 PM
I'm just asking, why doesn't illegal immigration call for a war? Suspension of civil liberties? Suspension of habeas corpus? Torture? Why the underhand pitching? Because illegal immigration isn't a threat to our way of life and national security? I won't even get into the purity of our fluids.

Massive migrations certainly played hell with the Roman Empire.
I don't want to get into the historic details cause it's more fun to dump on Dick Cheney. Come to think of it, Cheney has some resemblence to a few of the more pathological successors of Caesar Augustus.