PDA

View Full Version : Conspiracy Theory

George Jung
06-25-2007, 09:58 PM
First we had literally weeks of news headlines about poisoned Chinese petfood; it seems there have been a few other stories outlining how poor quality some of the Chinese imports are;a few weeks ago, the Chinese sentenced to death their head of FDA, apparently for fraud involving passage of tainted drugs; and now this:

Federal officials have told a small New Jersey (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/national/usstatesterritoriesandpossessions/newjersey/index.html?inline=nyt-geo) importer to recall 450,000 radial tires for pickup trucks, sport utility vehicles and vans after the company disclosed that its Chinese manufacturer had stopped including a safety feature that prevented the tires from separating.

So my question is - why are we suddenly hearing all of these stories about how bad Chinese products are? Obviously, there is truth behind the stories, but do you think there's been a change in business practices (Chinese)? Or are they simply exporting so much to us, it's inevitable we'd be running into some such problems? Or - my favorite - is this the USA's way of dealing with a growing trade deficit?

I don't recall seeing any such stories in the past several years.

ishmael
06-25-2007, 10:15 PM
"So my question is - why are we suddenly hearing all of these stories about how bad Chinese products are?"

Many of them aren't bad. I end up at Walmart about three times a year, and when I go I wander around looking at the goods. All the electronics, most of the hard goods, are Chinese and they are pretty well made. Frightening well, if you are looking from a geopolitical view.

As to pet food. I've kept up and don't feed wumpous anything on the lists. Contamination and corruption, from what I can figure. That's bound to happen with that sort of growth. Ironic that the children of Mao are threatening to bury the liberal west. They've already bought us.

L.W. Baxter
06-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Maybe the pace of industry growth has overwhelmed the old systems of information supression. We only now hear about the shortcuts they've been taking all along because their grip is slipping.

Bruce Hooke
06-25-2007, 10:40 PM
It may in large part be because the pet food story obviously made very big news and so it did a lot to put the issue of bad Chinese products on the radar screen of you as an individual, the news media as a whole, and the government inspectors whose job it is to catch these sorts of things.

JBreeze
06-26-2007, 05:51 PM
My theory is the product recalls are several of many discrediting stories we will see over the next year and one-half, leading up to the 2008 Olympics and the US elections. China is becoming a behemoth economically, politically and showing signs of advanced military technology. The world will be focused on China during the Olympics which will showcase how important the country is in world affairs and how much they have advanced.

Of course, stateside, we will be getting our a$$es handed to us during the Olympics, as our "pros" perform poorly in nearly every event except for the made for TV sports like "beach volleyball" and "slalom kayak races". Think Tom Brady will quarterback the US Football team in the '08 events?

Behind the scenes, Humongous Banks and Brokerages will have taken care of their Friends and Family, and will finally pull the plug on the financial house of cards worldwide....we may presently be seeing the beginnings of that as some CDOs get valued as "mark to market" instead of "mark to model" as hedge funds liquidate. Of course, the US economy will be in a shambles.

So, who ya gonna blame? No, not the politicians. Not the gnomes of Wall Street or Zurich or London. No, not Goldman Sachs or Teasury Sec. Paulson or Bernanke of the Fed.

The scapegoat will be China! The negative PR is just beginning in anticipation of the inevitable. I wouldn't be suprised if Judy Miller, formerly of the NY Times is on one of the disinformation groups. Remember her from the "WMD" stories in Iraq?

So that's my conspiracy theory and I'm sticking to it!;)

Tristan
06-26-2007, 06:10 PM
Domino effect? (Hummm, maybe we better look at some of these other complaints --- HOLY SH-T! Did you know we've been getting complaints about . . . We'd better get onto this or some ahole in congress is going to be on our butts . . . etc etc. )