PDA

View Full Version : Americans set record for donations in 2006

BrianW
06-25-2007, 01:17 PM
The link...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070625/ap_on_re_us/charitable_giving

"NEW YORK - Americans gave nearly $300 billion to charitable causes last year, setting a new record and besting the 2005 total that had been boosted by a surge in aid to victims of hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma and the Asian tsunami.

Donors contributed an estimated $295.02 billion in 2006, a 1 percent increase when adjusted for inflation, up from $283.05 billion in 2005."

"...Americans give twice as much as the next most charitable country, according to a November 2006 comparison done by the Charities Aid Foundation. In philanthropic giving as a percentage of gross domestic product, the U.S. ranked first at 1.7 percent. No. 2 Britain gave 0.73 percent, while France, with a 0.14 percent rate, trailed such countries as South Africa, Singapore, Turkey and Germany."

Man I'd have sworn this was not true. I know the topic has come up here before. Must of had a different twist.

Bruce Hooke
06-25-2007, 02:38 PM
It seems to me that for the comparison with other countries to be fair it should take into account both giving by individuals and corporations, and similar funding from the each country's government. Right or wrong, many countries have decided that a larger part of their giving should be channeled through their government. This is still money that ultimately comes from the people of a country, it is just a different route to getting it to those in need.

High C
06-25-2007, 03:29 PM
Wow, that's a thousand bucks per capita!

brad9798
06-25-2007, 04:33 PM
Per capita is the real indicator ... what are the other country's per capita???

I don't see a whole lot of (int'l) response ... but we ARE ugly Americans ... forget 300m x 1,000!!!!

The Bigfella
06-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Well done America. I suspect though that issues such as those raised by Bruce would have a pretty major impact. We had a separate thread a while back looking at differences in tax levels between countries - and in some countries, with high taxes, the government provides higher level of aid - and social services - things that are picked up by charities in lower taxing countries. A very difficult area to make reasonable comparisons