PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater vs. Chlorine

cs
06-24-2007, 01:25 PM
Okay guys we just got the kid an above ground 15' x 4' (dp) pool. Of course at the moment (and the last few moments:rolleyes: ) we are filling it with over 4400 gallons of water. But my question is about salt water vs chlorine.

The DVD that came with the pool talks about the salt water system in lieu of chlorine. What do you guys think?

Chad

Phillip Allen
06-24-2007, 01:35 PM
don't mix em...

George Jung
06-24-2007, 01:46 PM
I have no idea.... but I've a few other comments. First, should be a lot of fun. How old are the kids? Got a fence around it? What're liability laws like in your part of the country if, say, some neighborhood yahoos decide to go for a swim while you're asleep/gone, and someone gets hurt or drowns? Safety concerns for your family, as well.

I'd think maintaining the chemistry on a saltwater pool would be daunting; you might do a Google on it, or go to Taylor chemicals (they do pool chemistries) and ask them.

George Roberts
06-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Saltwater systems are chlorine systems.

The difference is that (in theory) in a saltwater system you never need to add more chemicals.

Saltwater systems appear to do continuous water testing and convert chlorine ions to atoms with electricity as needed.

cs
06-24-2007, 02:09 PM
That is what I'm reading. I'm wondering if this is a better way to do it? Sounds like it.

Chad

brad9798
06-24-2007, 02:10 PM
I was just researching this a couple of months back ... it will cost about 700-1200 bucks MORE to have a salinized pool ... but then you are THROUGH.

Salt is Ph balanced ... so you will not need muriatic acid and/or soda ash ...

Also- the salt level is about 10% of that of the Gulf of Mexico ... so not bad at all.

A couple of neighbors have them, and they LOVE them ... hardly any maintenance whatsoever.

Salt,when combined with water makes its own chlorine ... then when it goes back to the filter, it become sodium chloride again ... and so on, and so forth ...

When I get one, it will be salinized!!!

L.W. Baxter
06-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Maintaining with chlorine is easy and costs almost nothing. Just follow the directions on the container.

The above ground pool we have holds about 3500 gallons and last year I had it set up for about two months without having to dump and refill or do any scrubbing, and nobody got sick or developed a rash.

I've got it up and running again now and I just check it once a day and toss in a couple teaspoons of chlorine and add ph balancer as needed.

huisjen
06-24-2007, 05:05 PM
I still prefer a natural pool in a flowing stream.

Also Chad, take precautions. A house with a swimming pool is 100x more likely to have an accidental child fatality than a house with firearms in the closet.

Dan

Phillip Allen
06-24-2007, 05:50 PM
I still prefer a natural pool in a flowing stream.

Also Chad, take precautions. A house with a swimming pool is 100x more likely to have an accidental child fatality than a house with firearms in the closet.

Dan

then we need to register swimming pools and have serial numbers on them...oh yeah, if a child draws a picture of a swimming pool at school, expell them!

Cuyahoga Chuck
06-25-2007, 12:39 AM
Relax. You're safe. Huisjen's warning only applies to those who have enough to warrent a suit.

Gary E
06-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Relax. You're safe. Huisjen's warning only applies to those who have enough to warrent a suit.

Who wears suits in da pool??

ahp
06-25-2007, 05:00 PM
I have a 30,000 gal inground pool. It does cost to operate it and I do buy acid and salt from time to time. There was a thread on this subject some time ago.

hokiefan
06-25-2007, 05:13 PM
We have an 18x4 above ground and I find it fairly easy to maintain. For our water, I add 8-10 lbs of baking soda to get the pH and alkalinity right at the beginning of the year, then I don't have to touch pH all year. It will be different for your water, but if you don't get the alkalinity right, then the pH is touchy. We also cover it, since there are overhanging trees with many leaves, so that keeps the rainwater out for the most part, which also helps. Then I add stabilizer, and algaecide. I use chlorine tablets in the pump suction basket and run the pump at least 3-4 hours a day. I tend to keep the chlorine on the high side (4-6), as long as the pH is OK it doesn't bother the kids eyes. I find the more it is used the easier it is to keep it clean. Good luck.

Bobby