PDA

View Full Version : Normanesque gloat

Woxbox
06-22-2007, 05:04 PM
OK, so we left Kent Island on the Chesapeake Thursday morning (crack of dawn) on our first leg of a trip to Newport News for the weekend, and then on up the coast to Cape Cod.

So we're sitting in a marina in Newport News, we've got free wi-fi, so I've got to gloat a bit. We've had two nearly perfect days of sailing, winds favorable almost all the way -- 15 hours yesterday and 11 hours today. Today our catamaran was running 9-10 knots on a beam reach while we lounged in the cockpit eating our neptune salad, whipped up by my sailing buddy Larry.

Ain't it nice when everything just clicks?

John of Phoenix
06-22-2007, 05:40 PM
And no pics?

Woxbox
06-27-2007, 06:15 PM
Yes, I brought the digital camera. But of course I forgot the cable. So we've got wi-fi here in Block Island where we pulled in at midnight last night - but no way to load the pics.

Seems we got in just in time. The wind picked up quite a bit right around then, the fog rolled in and it's been blowing pretty good ever since. 20-knots plus.

But it was a great run, 387 miles from Newport News Va. in 63.5 hours. We just rode that Bermuda high all the way up, the proverbial fair winds and following seas held for three days.

And thanks to your advice, Norman, I tossed out a line with a rubber squid on it (not sure why that lure was on board, but it was) and sure enough picked up a fat bluefish south of Montauk.

paladin
06-27-2007, 07:47 PM
If ya tried that off Newport News ya mighta got a yellowtail......;)

elf
06-27-2007, 10:51 PM
So when are you getting here? We can use my card reader to extract the pix. Cape Codders for an EBS? There will be a few of us not in Mystic this weekend.

Woxbox
07-01-2007, 09:14 PM
Elf - Thanks for the offer. I didn't see your reply until I got home yesterday. Four of us own the boat, so two of us sailed it up to the Cape -- my sister is loaning us her mooring in Falmouth -- and we're going to take it a week or two at a time up there until we bring it back the end of August. New scenery and a great way to escape the dead heat of the Cheasapeake in July and August.

So here are a couple of shots -- the fish in question plus a typical day on this cruise, drifting north on calm seas. (OK, it's not a wooden boat, but that little one top left is. :D )

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/Woxbox/Bluefish.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/Woxbox/Underspinakker.jpg

JimD
07-01-2007, 09:43 PM
That poor fish has a squid sucking its brains out.

JBreeze
07-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Don't ever use a net on a bluefish caught on a lure that has a gang of treble hooks.....the damn things will thrash around and tangle the hooks and net so badly you will spend hours getting the fish and lure out. Not much fun as the school continues past you!:D

Locally, we have a great recipe for bluefish....cut a medium bluefish into three pieces. Place one piece in each pot. Throw overboard. Return next day and retrieve lobsters from pots.;)

Enjoy the Cape! Sounds like a wonderful trip, with great weather.

Woxbox
07-02-2007, 06:39 PM
My sailing buddy is the cook on board. Since they weren't an hour out of the water when he slapped the fillets on the grill, he argued that seasonings of any kind were uncalled for. It tasted great. The second half became a fish omelet the next day. No waste. And having caught all we wanted to eat, I didn't fish any more after that.