PDA

View Full Version : This outlet is upside down

few3
06-21-2007, 09:52 PM
http://www.jeremiahlee.com/blog/sup/2005/IMG_0612.jpg

I am just continuing a rant from Wild Dingo's Welder thread.

Outlets should never be installed like this in residential construction,

This is dangerous......

Stop The Madness!!!!!!!!

John B
06-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Looks fine to me.

Paul Pless
06-21-2007, 10:27 PM
This outlet is upside down

Yeah... but...

S/V Laura Ellen
06-21-2007, 10:33 PM
The real mistake is that thing plugged into the outlet.:D
That should be a crime (against humanity).:D

Vince Brennan
06-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Whoa! I have fond memories of those on my parents christmas tree (albeit differently oriented *), bubbling away and making life merry for all.

We never really liked that house, anyway, and the insurance paid off pretty quick back then.

(* No, I am NOT starting a thread on sexual preferences!)

John B
06-21-2007, 11:03 PM
You guys see a little red light sticking up out of a wall fitting, right?

S/V Laura Ellen
06-21-2007, 11:06 PM
The receptacle is installed upside down. The ground should be on the bottom.

Paul Pless
06-21-2007, 11:18 PM
The ground should be on the bottom.

It is... for the antipodeans;)

see John's post below, er above.

Cuyahoga Chuck
06-21-2007, 11:37 PM
http://www.jeremiahlee.com/blog/sup/2005/IMG_0612.jpg

I am just continuing a rant from Wild Dingo's Welder thread.

Outlets should never be installed like this in residential construction,

This is dangerous......

Stop The Madness!!!!!!!!

You sure they got outlets like that in Australia?

few3
06-22-2007, 12:12 AM
Oh, by the way...

I corrected it for ya.....:D

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p182/boylesboats/IMG_0612.jpg

All ya have to do is either pull it from the wall and replace right side up.... Or turn the picture around....:D

Maybe we could do something about the paint on the plate, I hate lazy painters.

Pericles
06-22-2007, 12:40 AM
OK,

but what is it?

Pericles

The Bigfella
06-22-2007, 12:48 AM
It looks like a mould for home-making condoms - but gee whizz you blokes must be small

Rick Starr
06-22-2007, 06:49 AM
The "conventional wisdom" 10 minutes ago said that if you have small children in the house, you mount them upside down so they don't look like inviting smiley faces.

It's easy enough to right them.

elf
06-22-2007, 08:19 AM
I still have my parents' series bubble lights. Haven't managed to find well constructed modern ones. They all dry out quickly, or never heat up enough to bubble.

Every year I look at the old series ones and wish I could find good ones now. Some year I'm going to do an entire tree full of them!

WillW
06-22-2007, 08:30 AM
I dunno, ground on the top, it seems easier and safer to plug stuff in that way. You can lead with the ground and make sure it goes in. I'd heard that some US codes were going to make it mandatory. Ground on the bottom just makes a stupid smiley face, like Rick says.

S/V Laura Ellen
06-22-2007, 08:54 AM
I believe the theory is that the pull on a cord is usually from a downward angle (effect of gravity). If the ground is at the bottom (when the cord is pulled from a downward angle) the last prong to make contact with the receptacle would be the ground prong.

Another safety factor is that most people hold the plug between there thumb and index finger, if the index finger were to slip off while inserting the plug your finger would contact the ground prong (not the live wire).

As to the issue of the receptacle looking like a smiley face, it always reminded me of Edvard Munch's "The Scream".

Kaa
06-22-2007, 10:16 AM
I believe the theory is that the pull on a cord is usually from a downward angle (effect of gravity). If the ground is at the bottom (when the cord is pulled from a downward angle) the last prong to make contact with the receptacle would be the ground prong.

Another safety factor is that most people hold the plug between there thumb and index finger, if the index finger were to slip off while inserting the plug your finger would contact the ground prong (not the live wire).

These are rather odd theories.

When I pull the plug out of the outlet, the pull is usually from the upward angle because even bent I'm higher than most of the outlets in my house.

And when inserting the plug the thumb is just as likely to slip as the index finger.

Kaa

few3
06-22-2007, 10:31 AM

As to the issue of the receptacle looking like a smiley face, it always reminded me of Edvard Munch's "The Scream".

For the NEC to make this upside down orientation mandatory, there would have to be a universally accepted design change of AC adapters, We're talking Trillions of adapters, cords, and appliance cord changes. Plug your cordless phone adapter into one of these outlets, and knock a phone book onto it, be prepared to replace the outlet.:)

If a child sees a smile face and sticks something into it, it's natural selection, and all evolutionists should not want to interfere with that. Just like chewing on a lead paint baseboard.

Kaa
06-22-2007, 10:47 AM
If a child sees a smile face and sticks something into it...

LOL. It's a smiley face! Let's stick nails into its eyes!

Kaa

George Roberts
06-22-2007, 11:00 AM
All in all the orientation has never mattered. It never will.

Rick Starr
06-22-2007, 02:45 PM
most ac adaptors or wall warts as someone called them are not polarized thus do not care the orientation of the outlet.

S/V Laura Ellen
06-22-2007, 02:50 PM
...When I pull the plug out of the outlet, the pull is usually from the upward angle because even bent I'm higher than most of the outlets in my house.

Not when you are pulling the plug, but when it is snagged and accidentally pulled.

huisjen
06-22-2007, 03:10 PM
What about this outlet?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/huisjen/IMG_1839.jpg

The Bigfella
06-22-2007, 10:10 PM
I love good design

carlg
06-22-2007, 11:20 PM
It seems that putting the ground pin on top prevents a metallic cover plate (if it should come loose and fall down on a plug that's slightly pulled out) from shorting the live and neutral pins together. When and if it falls, it will only contact the ground pin. But what are the odds?:rolleyes: