PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of Marmots

Dave Williams
06-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Marmots have invaded our barn/lumber storage shed and are making a huge mess. I'd rather not shoot them. Any ideas?

Dave

Three Cedars
06-21-2007, 03:57 PM
That is an unusual location but it must serve a need they have.

Suggestions ... you could tie a dog up in that immediate vicinity for a few days . Then there is live trapping and moving them away. Turning on a portable radio , place the speaker face down on the ground , crank up the volume leave it there for a few days.... report back ! ;)

paladin
06-21-2007, 05:51 PM
As above....but put a large bucket or washtub bottom side up close to the "affected" area, then place the radio speaker down on the tub, adjust it for the lowest tone if there's a tone control...play away.....;)

Ian McColgin
06-22-2007, 03:36 AM
But it didn't really work on Noriega.

KNOCKABOUT
06-22-2007, 05:37 AM
You can also gas em. Most farm supply stores sell "rat gas." Just seal up any holes you can find and save the last for the gas pack. Have some cement handy, pull the pin, drop in hole, and cement over. Always worked well for critters on the farm.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
06-22-2007, 05:45 AM
Downhole critters.
Propane, pause,
Ignition.

huisjen
06-22-2007, 07:27 AM
I bludgeoned a groundhog with a hoe once.
But it's a lot of work 'cause you gotta chase 'em down first.

Wild Dingo
06-22-2007, 10:52 AM
marmot?? Im guessing a prairie dog? :confused: yous mob have some weird animals over there! :D

huisjen
06-22-2007, 12:00 PM
http://www.exzooberance.com/virtual%20zoo/they%20walk/marmot/Marmot%20485030.jpg

Marmot, common name for certain large, robust rodents found in North America, Europe, and Asia, characterized by a blunt snout, short ears, a short, bushy tail, and short legs. The fur is coarse. The animals live in burrows and hibernate during the winter; the length of hibernation varies with the severity of the climate. Marmots feed on vegetation and are sometimes destructive to cultivated crops. The cry of the marmot is a shrill whistle.

The common European marmot is found in the high peaks of the Alps and Pyrenees Mountains. The bobac is the marmot of eastern Europe and Asia. The common marmot of eastern North America is the woodchuck, or groundhog. This animal is gray or brown, with black or brown above and paler below. It attains a length up to 0.6 m (2 ft) and has a bushy tail up to 0.25 m (0.82 ft) long. The whistler, or hoary marmot, is a larger, white and gray species found in northwestern North America. The yellow-bellied marmot is found from southwestern Canada to New Mexico.

Scientific classification: Marmots belong to the family Sciuridae, of the order Rodentia. They make up the genus Marmota. The European marmot is classified as Marmota marmota, the bobac as Marmota bobak, and the woodchuck as Marmota monax. The whistler is classified as Marmota caligata, and the yellow-bellied marmot as Marmota flaviventris.

Lew Barrett
06-22-2007, 01:21 PM
My experience is that it's very difficult to deter unwanted animals once they get established without eventually resorting to Draconian measures, especially in structures that are difficult to secure.
Sorry to report this, but if Three Cedar's suggestions don't work, and they are the obvious ones, you may be in a situation where you have to make some choices. Trapping is the most effective way to get rid of them; I've never been really successful with the speaker approach.
I've had some moderate success with camphor as a deterant for otters. Might work with rodents too.

Hughman
06-22-2007, 10:08 PM
yous mob have some weird animals over there! :D

Oh, yeah. You don't know the half of it!

John B
06-24-2007, 02:22 AM
Oh, so its a groundhog!

Oh, so its a groundhog!

PeterSibley
06-24-2007, 06:29 AM
Sooo...what do they eat ? Anything ? Everything ?