PDA

View Full Version : Something I reckon everyone should get!

Wild Dingo
06-20-2007, 01:03 PM
A Triton Superjaws

What a bloody bobby dazzler of a thing this is... even without the log jaws its a doozy... even without the engineers vice jaws its a corker... and even if you only get just one its a must have handy device :cool:

I went out and bought one the other day... after years of listening to others raving on about them I finally got around to getting one... so I tried it out very lightly as I had other things happening so just the usual clamp up a peice of timber and swing of one end... bit unsteady (ergo need for 2 bodies :rolleyes: ) so I got hold of young Ben to hang on the other side and swung off it again.. NOT THE SLIGHTEST MOVEMENT OF THE WOOD! rock steady... get out the chainsaw... the test!... held it good and solid but figured that the log jaws would hold it better

So today I bought anothery (theyre on special at our nearest store) and the log jaws.... set it up and put them on... tried the one person swing again... NO FRIGGIN WORRIES!!... got Ben again did the swing then he swung of the other side NO FLAMIN WUKKERS!! :cool:

So set up the other with the engineers vice jaws... stuck a length of steel in it did the swing thing again... beautiful just flamin beautiful

Took the one with the wood jaws down the paddock easy as quite light and easy to carry with the legs folded in and set it up on some reasonably uneven ground... got a length of bough good 12in dia and about 10ft long and stomped the foot clampup peddle clicked in the lock... chainsaw in hand arc it up cut cut cut move wood 2.4secs cut cut move wood 2.4secs easy as!!

Anyway heres some pics of them when they arrived... IF they are available near you get one at least!! Bloody great 2nd set of hands!

Second one arrives with babies (optional extras)

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d801b3127cce8673954b46ea00000026108AZMnLNy2ctL

First one yesty straight out of the box

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d801b3127cce8673953cc7ad00000026108AZMnLNy2ctL

From front on the pedal thing is the clamp just put the log or whatever onto the bed between the jaws and bring it hand tight together then push down on the pedal once you cant move it in any further push the locking mechanism to lock and your done

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d801b3127cce8673952cc7bd00000026108AZMnLNy2ctL

While I dont condone the use of the Triton Workcentre as I feel its too flimsy for solid or heavy work I did buy their big 1/2in router last year and its the ducks knuts... and while these might look light and flimsy at first glance its the paint that does that its quite a nice weight and very sturdy and it definantly exudes an increadible amount of clamping pressure... terrific item of kit :cool:

If I can get a clear run at it tomorrow and set up the camera to the timer thing I will try to get a shot of them an me "in action" ;)

WX
06-21-2007, 06:21 AM
I use an old Triton sawbench, think it's a Mk3. I've seen some fine work done with them....not on mine though, I don't belong to the cigarette paper joinery club.

The Bigfella
06-21-2007, 06:41 AM
Gee Shane - and I'm pretty sure I've got a spare set of log jaws under the house .......

My old Mk3 Workcentre has taken a hammering - I've cut up lots of old fencing on it - and it sits out in the yard, totally unprotected - but it's as accurate as I need for anything. One concession to the rain god - I do take the saw out and leave it in the shed.

Wild Dingo
06-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Gee Shane - and I'm pretty sure I've got a spare set of log jaws under the house .......

So whats keeping you from sending the jaws over matey?? ;) ;)

My old Mk3 Workcentre has taken a hammering - I've cut up lots of old fencing on it - and it sits out in the yard, totally unprotected - but it's as accurate as I need for anything. One concession to the rain god - I do take the saw out and leave it in the shed.

I dont say theyre inadequate just that they seem and appear flimsy... I know a bunch of fellas that swear by them me I just like something that FEELS and gives the appearance AT LEAST of solidity :cool:

And Im damned glad to hear you take the saw out and tuck it away from the rain gods! cause Id suggest you send that over too if your so reckless! :cool: ;)

Nah theyre good stuff in my book and why I thought Id let the mob from the states that may or may not have heard of Triton in on another wee Aussie secret... Triton gear is the ducks knuts :cool: ... believe it or not ;)

Now welders... well welders are a whole mess of wretchedly mongrelised kittens :mad:

few3
06-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Tritons Router has been around here for years. Nice looking unit. I believe it was one of the first specifically designed for router table use.

I haven't seen the Triton horse sold around here for some time. The instructions were written in Australian, and nobody could figure them out:)