PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Jamestown Distributors?

Howard Sharp
06-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Just got a new catalog and it's the size of a telephone directory, with a lot of stuff I don't need, but, for instance only two short columns of silicon bronze wood screws.

JimConlin
06-13-2007, 09:47 PM
When buying in box quantities, I've preferred StaFast
http://www.standardfastenings.com/

JBreeze
06-14-2007, 09:15 PM
I loved the place when it was actually in Jamestown....5 minute walk to get whatever I needed in any quantity. And their yard/clearance sales had some fantastic bargains. It was very similar to an old-fashioned hardware store.

Not exactly sure which direction management is headed, but it seems like some MBA-types are now running the show.;)

Melanie-Jamestown Dist
06-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Things are going great at Jamestown Distributors. Instead of one catalog, we now offer two. The traditional JD catalog has all of the fasteners that you rely on JD to supply; silicon bronze, stainless in both 18-8 and 316, brass and galvanized. The JD "BigBook" has a more comprehensive marine selection.

Figment
06-15-2007, 03:26 PM
Melanie, thanks for posting.

If I may make a request...

Please adapt your system to track how many catalogs you've sent to individual customers. I place 12-15 orders per year, and I truly don't need a new catalog with each order.

Your people are great, they are the reason I continue to give JD 75% of my business. This catalog nuisance is my only beef with your organization.

Bruce Hooke
06-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Things are going great at Jamestown Distributors. Instead of one catalog, we now offer two. The traditional JD catalog has all of the fasteners that you rely on JD to supply; silicon bronze, stainless in both 18-8 and 316, brass and galvanized. The JD "BigBook" has a more comprehensive marine selection.

Thank goodness!

Dave Davis
06-18-2007, 11:04 AM

Melanie; perhaps great for Jamestown Dist, but not for customers. Where you used to be a short walk from boats in Jamestown, and later in Newport, you're now in an industrial park in Bristol, and hard to get to unless you're driving and forget public transport.

Not only that, but your Newport store setup encouraged browsing. Often I'd go there for one thing and find three others that I needed. Better for the customer (one trip) and better for JD (more sales). At your new place that's not part of the program and we seldom go there unless it's not available down here in Newport. And you may not have heard this, but for items that aren't needed for today, it's easier to mail order (perhaps from someone else) as you're no longer part of the local Aquidneck Island scene to support.

Maybe it's better business sense (probably; see "MBA" quote) to be close to the marine industries up where you are now but you've lost many customers otherwise. That said, Newport also lost JTs recently so you're not the only ones to find it a tough place to do business.

JBreeze
06-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Please check your PM's for information about some apparent pricing errors on the JD website

Thanks

KNOCKABOUT
06-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Well you have to give it to them on customer service...

Bill Perkins
06-20-2007, 11:07 AM
I just made a several hundred dollar order .They wouldn't sell me the fasteners to go with the hardware I bought because the screws required fell below the minimum order for such fastenings !

ROCKPORTMARINEPURCHASING
07-02-2007, 12:29 PM
We prefer full bodied cut thread rather than rolled thread wood screws. Wood Screws manufactured overseas are normally rolled and on the larger sizes the shoulder has less meat than the shank. There are several domestic manufacturers of cutthread woodscrews- Goulet Specialties 860-379-5419 is a manufacturer and CC Fastenings 800-992-5151 is a distributor who will look for what you need.