PDA

View Full Version : Old shoe shine, wood lathe

MattL
05-22-2007, 04:03 PM
In the town I grew up there was an old shoe shop where everyone took there shoes for repair or shining. The fellow died about 35-40 years ago and the business closed down. My uncle, a frend of the repairman, was given his old buffer. This is a very heavy piece of machinery, about 3 feet by 8 feet in footprint, with a variety of grinding, polishing, and buffing wheels attatched. My uncle modified for use as a wood lathe. With it he has made counless large bowls, lamps, etc. My uncle is now in his 90's and getting ready to go into a retirement home and would like someone to addopt his tool. It has been sitting unattended for a few years, I looked it over yesterday and saw it does need a little TLC to get going. I have a wood lathe, not quite so big, but servisable for me. If anyone is intersted please feel free to contact me about it. It is in Los Banos, California--look at a map of CA find Monterey and Fresno, Los Banos is right in the middle of that line close to I-5

Thorne
05-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Matt - what are the dimensions of the lathe stripped for transport, and a guess as to weight? Any photos?

No room in my shop, but if nobody else can take it I might be able to transport it in my truck to the Bay Area where I can 'force' it onto a friend.

;0 )

MattL
05-22-2007, 08:21 PM
I'll take some photos tomorrow, if I remember to bring the camera to work. I'll be going to the Delta Ditch run on the 1st if that helps.

MattL
05-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Again, it needs some cleaning up, but there are a bunch of tools too.

paladin
05-22-2007, 09:03 PM
yup...I know where Los Banos izz......coming up the highway I would make a left turn instead of right to Los Banos (from L.A.)....and a mile or so up the road was a nice place to stop fer refreshments...

MattL
05-23-2007, 12:50 AM
yup...I know where Los Banos izz
Growin up there people that knew where it was fell into two catagories; those whos car broke down on the way to somewhere else, or those that were duck hunters.
The hunters still know where it is, but the other group changed into those that want a cheep place to live while they work in San Jose. The place has grown from the 7 K spike way back when the dam was being built to the 30+k it is now. The jr. high where I work has about 1500 kids for two grades.