PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Doin's? 5/18

Bill R
05-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Whatcha doin' this weekend?

Working weekend for me- I have to get the switch hangers and banner rack finished, crated and out of the shop. If I have time, attempting some of the finhead bolts mentioned topside.

Weather permitting, take the twins to the Bonney Eagle car show Sunday. My 4 1/2yo son LOVES hot rods.

SWMBO is out of town at a professional conference/research trip, so I am Mr. Dad.

StevenBauer
05-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Swing by and show them your friend's boat. :)
I won't ask you to help lift the engine out on account of your back. :D

Steven

Bill R
05-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Back is doin ok. Need help?

Peter Malcolm Jardine
05-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Put up some siding today, until I ran out, went to the boat, took out an old transducer, came home, did some varnishing, painted some floorboards from the engine room, made a new cockpit panel out of mahogany ply that was a bit rough, put the stuff in the truck I need tomorrow... surveyor coming at ten to tell me everything I already know about my boat for the insurance company... varnishing down at the boat tomorrow, waxing the hull, new piece on vinyl on the back deck, continuing to remove the old nautolex in the cockpit, put the batteries in, start the engines, have to cut the lawn, do some weedeating, clean the house, boat goes in the water thursday... Boy I love a weekend off..:D

Bruce Taylor
05-18-2007, 06:45 PM
http://www.jour.sc.edu/pages/wigginsweb/481_Sisyphus.jpg

Bruce Taylor
05-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Also...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/288000-288999/288353_82_full.jpg

capt jake
05-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Weekend???:confused: I have to work tomorrow. Getting ready for a new addition on Sunday. I got most of the deck removed and wiring disconnected today. A few plants got relocated, as well. ;)

elf
05-18-2007, 09:18 PM
Rain, rain, rain, get seaweed if it's not raining, take care of neighbor's dog 2 or 3 times during the day, make notecards.

Vacuum house (sounds of whip cracking in background).

Paul Girouard
05-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Also...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/288000-288999/288353_82_full.jpg

Humm it sez cardomain but that sure looks like a sideways / all most upside down photo of a elec. clothes dryer:confused:

Eh good luck either way, maybe jiggle the key in the ignition swt. or look for a electrical leak if-in it's a car:rolleyes: :D Those elec. leaks will git a guy every time!

http://www.seattlephil.com/images/laughing.gif

Paul Girouard
05-18-2007, 09:47 PM
#1: Weekend???:confused: I have to work tomorrow.

#2: Getting ready for a new addition on Sunday.

#1: But what weekday do you have off this week?? Ya can't have every day off even if you are a fireman:rolleyes: :D

#2: Boy or girl:eek: :eek: Jake yer a lil old fer a new addition :D

Bruce Taylor
05-18-2007, 10:05 PM
but that sure looks like a sideways / all most upside down photo of a elec. clothes dryer

Bingo.

No heat...I've got to figure out whether it's the element, the timer, or one of the thermostats.

And the other one's a bunch of rock retaining walls, where the old septic system used to be. (The new system is crazy...two tanks, two pumps, and a whole lot of plastic spaghetti: Bionest)

pipefitter
05-19-2007, 02:46 AM
I'm going fishing. All that house stuff will be here when I get old like you guys. I'll be begging for stay at home projects by then. Save the home stuff for rainy days or winter. Summer is too short for some of you folks.

The Bigfella
05-19-2007, 02:58 AM
No heat...I've got to figure out whether it's the element, the timer, or one of the thermostats.

Easy to do with a multimeter. I fixed our 19 year old dryer again last weekend - I did the element about 5 years back - this time it was a broken bearing mount on the drum (fatigue crack - welded it) and new bearings in the motor - $10.90. As much as we try to avoid using it - we are under Drs orders to do so for those with allergies.

Saturday is coming to a close already - took my youngest for a spin on the boat today - it having not been off the mooring for ages. The river was almost deserted - not a soul on the moorings in Deep Bay - yet there wasn't a cloud in the sky.

Just back from the first of two soccer games for the weekend.

Now - Top Gear is on soon - there's also V8 Supercars tomorrow at Winton (a track I've driven) and Moto GP tomorrow night.

WX
05-19-2007, 03:01 AM
Scored a 5 metre X 150mm Brushbox pole today...only need another 5 and I will have all the rafters for the roof over the boat. hooked up a small solar panel to a battery in the shed, so I now have a light out there if I want to go an do stuff at night.
I will get some decent wiring in there over the next few weeks and that way I'll be able to put some lights in the boat.

Ron Williamson
05-19-2007, 06:16 AM
I'm planning to finish the gable end framing and start steel siding on the Garage Mahal.
R

Milo Christensen
05-19-2007, 06:17 AM
Unplanned weekends start off so innocently. Quaffing a margarita on the deck, Marilyn and I sitting in the deck chairs that were finally completely refinished last weekend. My beloved turns to me and sweetly says "When are we going to the greenhouse you found while I was in Nashville?"

A gentlemen of discernment like myself knows that their soulmate doesn't ask questions like this unless the promised trip is overdue and some mild dissatisfaction with my tendency to sit and think, with an emphasis on sitting, may be settling in to my sweetys heart, so off we went.

At certain times and places my sweet, beloved soulmate turns into SWMBOWA (WA = with alacrity). A couple acres of greenhouses, filled with row after row of blooming annuals in bewildering profusion is one of those places. In general, I don't like annuals or exotics and I really don't like exotic annuals. I mean, have you seen what the plant breeders have been doing to Dahlias lately? Hideous. Here, SWMBOA and I have a fundamental difference in gardening philosophy.

So now, not only do we have some of the new Dahlias, but the container into which they are going to live the summer (unless I forget to water them, hee hee) must be repainted.

But hark! My slumbering princess stirs. I must away.

botebum
05-19-2007, 08:46 AM
Whatever we do it won't include being on rte17 south of here. Final day/night of Myrtle Beach Spring Bike Rally aka Spring Harley Week. Time for the middle aged mindless to ack like 17 year old punks before they go back to their jobs as municipal garbage men and lawyers. Tomorrow they head home in groups of 2-200. I live 7 miles from rte17 and there are times when you can hear them.
Chances are we'll be doing some minor things around the house in anticipation of FINALLY being able to close on the house around the end of the month. Well, that and having a little discussion with my wife about the dangers of hanging around with flirtacious Aussies:D

Doug

Wild Dingo
05-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Well, that and having a little discussion with my wife about the dangers of hanging around with flirtacious Aussies:D

Doug

Well mate... I may be flamin brilliant and exceptionally good with the sheilas but... I mean North Carolina?? Now thats a reach even for me!! :eek: Shes safe as houses mate you'll be right no worries ;)

As well as that shes got you to worry about and thats enough for any wee sheila... specially one with a Macherdacks! :D :D

ahem... today? bein as it was Saturdy I spend a fair time in the shed muckin with some Jarrah boards Im turning into workbench number 5... cant have enough workbenches or so says I ;) ... but this one... oooh this one Im plannin on takin me time with since I have a bunch of otherys to do the work on this ones gonna be the high friggin ducks knuts of workbenches!! :cool:

Then the 12in thicknesser packed it in... so I moved over to the 15in one and wouldnt it just blow your mind but it worked! so I did another dozen boards till that dropped a screw from somewhere near the cutters... so I packed it in... and then as light was failing at around 4pm due to the mongrel weather I decided to do some glue ups and get them out the way

Then the rain kicked in and I had to run like billyo to the house turn of the power disconnect the extention lead plug in the hot water lead run back to the shed reelin in the lead all the while gettin drippin wet :rolleyes:

I was considering doing some more turning and get some more practice in... but the weather and darkness beat me and so with a sigh I gave up and got outta there

Tomorrow Im HOPING!!! HOPING I SAY... to get back out there and get to work on the big thicknesser and get it sorted so I can do the remaining 40 6ft lengths of Jarrah Im cleaning up and sorting out... then if I get time Im gonna get out the damned chainsaw and take a massive deep breath take life and limb in hand and cut some trunks so I can have some turning timber to play with... then somewhere around darktime ala 4pm I will find the lawnmower top its fuel up show her highness how it goes zzzzzzooom and go have a beer while she cuts the monterous acre of grass thats gone knuts around here over the last 5 or so months of my convelescance... personally I think shes just gonna watch me start the thing and start showing her how to do it. then she will come right up close and whisper sweet nothings in my earhole that will sound very much like "your doing a good job keep at it" and promptly disappear inside the house again :rolleyes:

But Im aimin for as much shed time as I can get!! :cool:

Paul Pless
05-19-2007, 09:43 AM
Chances are we'll be doing some minor things around the house in anticipation of FINALLY being able to close on the house around the end of the month.

Christ dude, how long have you been trying to get this done?:eek:

Katherine
05-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Making a honey do list.:D

botebum
05-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Christ dude, how long have you been trying to get this done?:eek:
I thought I posted(maybe not) about how the old biotches refused to close. We had to sue them. We had a court date for May 29th but at 6:45am this past Monday our lawyer called to say that they'd thrown in the towel and would close. All in all, we made our initial offer August of last year. Umm...Yes, we REALLY want this house!
Let me remind you all- Small(824sq ft), 2 bdrm, 1 bath home with a 400sq ft shop with lean-to roof on either side(to build boats under). All this on two acres. Contract price- $60,000 with an addendum that sellers will pay all closing costs and refund the difference between closing costs and $5000 (approx. $3600 closing costs, $1400 to us). Actual sale price- $55,000. No out of pocket costs to us other than paying up front for an appraisal($300-$400). Appraised value last time(now expired) was $75,000, outbuildings not included.
With some cosmetics and updating (I'm figuring $5000 in the next year), the property will be worth close to$95,000. With additions we have planned at a cost of $60,000 to $80,000 over the next 8-10 years, today's value would be around $220,000.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/botebum/139_3958.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/botebum/139_3960edit.jpg

Doug

Katherine
05-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Forgive me for being nosy Doug, but why did the seller refuse to close for so long?

botebum
05-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Forgive me for being nosy Doug, but why did the seller refuse to close for so long?
They got a better offer and thought that they could ignore the contract. It cost us $2500 in lawyer's fees and cost them close to $4000(guesstimate) to prove the contract and addendum valid. I think you've got a cute nose Katherine;)

Doug

Cuyahoga Chuck
05-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Sunday. Cleveland Marathon, Half Marathon and 10k. I'm only running the 10k. Did it in 68 minutes last year. It's may rain Sunday morning. Hope it holds off. Wet shoes can get mighty heavy.
And, after a little nap, I may go for a paddle up the Cuyahaoga.

Mrleft8
05-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Painting the ceiling pink, and letting my arms and back recover from turning 15 8/4x big White Oak planks into 47 8/4x 2"x 8' White Oak sticks..... (Like painting a ceiling is going to make my arms and back feel better.....)

Paul Girouard
05-19-2007, 10:47 AM
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/botebum/139_3958.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/botebum/139_3960edit.jpg

You got your weekends worth of work on those places :eek:

Is that typical of that area?? Smallish houses on largeish lots??

Will you be living there?? Doing some repairs / addtions etc??

That , I'd guess, bathroom addition / bump out on the right side seems to be listing to starboard:eek: Love that old transite siding , really vintage stuff, I wonder if Hardi plank siding will look that good when it's 50 or 60 years old ??

Good luck with the place Doug:cool:

JBreeze
05-19-2007, 10:48 AM
2 acres! Outbuilding for a shop! Mild climate!

It is typical to be able to buy 2 acres (without buildings) for less than $100K in that part of the country?

I'm on 6000 sq. ft., barely enough room for a tomato patch and room to park a small boat....the cottage is about the same size. Zoning and space preclude a shop. It is appraised for a lot of money, but frankly, I can't even use a small boat on the bay on weekends and holidays for fishing because of all the traffic on the water.

I'm jealous:D ....if you see a car with RI plates in the neighborhood, it's probably me looking for a place for retirement.

Paul Girouard
05-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Painting the ceiling pink, and letting my arms and back recover from turning 15 8/4x big White Oak planks into 47 8/4x 2"x 8' White Oak sticks..... (Like painting a ceiling is going to make my arms and back feel better.....)

PINK!:eek: Good gad man are yer nuts :D

And thats only what 376 L/F of ripping what are ya soft??? :rolleyes:

Mrleft8
05-19-2007, 08:03 PM
Each plank weighed at least 80 lbs. Ask Matt how his shoulders feel. (And he's twice my size AT LEAST!)
And yes....Pink.....I'm looking at it right now, and it looks white. But the kinda white you see at sunset.....:D

cs
05-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Well the weekend is almost over, but I started Friday so I didn't see this thread till today.

My weekend involved spending time knocking down pop up silhouettes with 5.56.

Chad

capt jake
05-20-2007, 12:55 PM
Got home hours ago, still waiting for my 'help' to get up and moving. Tap, tap tippity tap......

Cuyahoga Chuck
05-20-2007, 04:25 PM
Ran the Cleveland Marathon 10,000 meter race. 62 and the rain never materialized. Did 1:09:01. Placed 3rd in my class which gets ever smaller as the decades roll by.

John B
05-20-2007, 04:29 PM
I'd like to see a thread on what Matt's up to. I thought it was a few frames needed replacing after a bad rebuild job.

Soccer day sat for us, kids going two directions , and sunday was boat day.
My mate Golly and I took Riada out for 3 hours. Started maybe 15 knots, went 18 to 20 or so at times so we spent most of that on the wind up to Drunks bay for a look and then punched out wind against tide through Motuhuie channel.. poking the bow under and powered right up:D . That was fun.

StevenBauer
05-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Well I got this done this weekend:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r241/bauerdad/Ostkust/IMG_0663.jpg

:)

capt jake
05-20-2007, 05:12 PM
#1: But what weekday do you have off this week?? Ya can't have every day off even if you are a fireman:rolleyes: :D

#2: Boy or girl:eek: :eek: Jake yer a lil old fer a new addition :D

Not that Kind of addition. The air must be thin up there in the Northern County. ;) I already have a wee grand one to chase after...:D

Steven, can I borrow your scaffolding??? ;)

StevenBauer
05-20-2007, 07:17 PM
Sure, Jake. As soon as the Vire is rebuilt. It was pretty cool, really. We had the engine out and on a plank accross the cockpit seats and we looked at each other and said "now what?" We didn't want to carry it down the ladder, we had visions of crushed body parts and smashed engines. So I thought of the baker staging. We set the plank to the highest level - just about even with the deck of the boat. Then just slid the engine over on a scrap of pine board right onto the staging. Then we rolled the staging away from the boat and carefully lowered the plank a few notches at a time intil she was at a good height for rebuilding. And, since I know you're thinking of asking, I have no idea how we'll get it back up there. :eek:

Steven

StevenBauer
05-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Mike, the harbormaster hasn't even given out the moorings yet for the season. We just got leaves on the trees last week. It's been cold and rainy for weeks. We'll catch up eventually. It won't be long before it's too hot down there to spend the day on the water and that's when the boating around here is heaven. :)

Steven

Joe Dupere
05-20-2007, 08:04 PM
We didn't do too much. My wife's VW Golf died and she ordered a basic Honda Fit which came in Saturday. She went to sign all the paperwork whilst I went to pick up the bees we ordered. I got the bees settled in temporarily.

Orono has one week during the spring where residents can bring stuff to the town landfill for free. They used to pick the stuff up from the curbside, but about three years ago they stopped doing that during a round of budget cuts and offered the free trips to compensate. So, I took a pickup load of stuff to the landfill. After that I stopped by the town mulch pile and picked up a load of wood chips to use around the gardens.

Then we went dancing last night.

Today was iffy as far as the weather went but I managed to get some weeding done in my garden. I watched the bees a while.

And so to bed.

Joe, FPoP

S.V. Airlie
05-20-2007, 08:06 PM
So Joe.. Umm you did get some bees.. Great! Lots of fun.. Are ya gonna put them on your new property?

LeeG
05-20-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm tip tapping on a laptop in my boat!

Joe, how do you like the new Honda?

Tylerdurden
05-20-2007, 08:17 PM
My oldest Graduated magna *** laude from Clark University this weekend. A fine Liberal college. Everybody says she got her brains from me but I cannot think about that. Too scary.
She is working with Autism patients this summer and then on her Phd. Not much money but many rewards.
Had the strange experience of meeting an old High School love interest while there. She is on the staff and I had no Idea.
Lookin Fine too. All in all a very good weekend.

S.V. Airlie
05-20-2007, 08:19 PM
Tyler.. congrat.. Heck, why am I giving you congrats!!!! LOL.. Tell your daughter for me.. Good for her...:D

The Bigfella
05-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Yep - congratulations to your daughter, Tyler. well done

Bill R
05-21-2007, 06:35 AM
Congratulations to your daughter TD!

Tylerdurden
05-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Thanks guys, I told her that it was one of the happiest days in my life next to her being born and anything I have done pales in comparison in my memory bank. My stupid ex had to let on that the business grads will make more money, she still doesn't get it.
I would say never marry a goldigger but then I would never have been blessed with such great kids.

MattL
05-21-2007, 05:37 PM
My week end was buzzzzy, This is the first I've had to stop and look at the compter.
Friday, the younger boy (7) and I left for the cubscout week end camping trip. Did activities in the AM, then he had to leave for a birthday party. Got home with him, the wife took him to the party. The elder (10) and I went to the lake for our clubs annual regetta. While there I was asked to crew for a guy in the Day Sailor fleet. Cool, wasn't expecting to get on the water. The wife went to pick up the younger while I was sailing, then he and I went back to camp for dinner, couple of acitivites and campfire. In the morning we cleaned up and headed home. We were beat, but the wife wanted to go back to the lake for some more relaxation. The guy I sailed with the day before came and asked if I'd sail with him again. Sure.
Thakfully I had to come back to work for some R and R.

Joe Dupere
05-21-2007, 08:52 PM
Lee, the Fit's a neat little car. My wife let me drive it to the dance and back. It handles great in town, the pickup between lights is pretty good. It goes pretty good on the open road, although it drags a bit going up hills. It's the first new car either of us have owned in about 15 years. We paid cash so it's nice not having a payment.

Joe, FPoP