PDA

View Full Version : A place to build and get started.

charlesparmele
05-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Hello my name is Charles Parmele. I am a disabled vet and live in an RV park located in Poulsbo, Wa. I very much would love to build a small boat, maybe a canoe or something car toppable. An RV park is not exactly the place to build. I would love to find a place to build and learn. I am on disability and would love to learn something new to do as a hobby or trade.
Any advice would be welcome. Need to find resources.
Charles "Chuck" Parmele

Spokaloo
05-10-2007, 02:43 AM
Chuck, if you made your way to the eastside I could always use an extra set of hands and you could poke together a canoe or jonboat.

Im over in Spokane.

E

Steve Lansdowne
05-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Some small boats have been built in living rooms and outside under cover, such as a tarp, and if you go for a pre-cut wood kit boat, such as a kayak or other small boat from CLC or Pygmy boats (the latter is a WA firm) you are only talking about assembly, gluing, sanding, and painting. You might check into the Center for Wooden Boats in Seattle, as they may have classes or get you started on what you're looking for. Best of luck to you.

S.V. Airlie
05-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Chuck.. this is a rhetorical question.. disabled.. How well can you get around?
I'm just thinking here.. I'm just wondering whether, if you are say near Seatle, there might be a boat building school or a club or a group that does build boats and you can sort of slide in. But it depends on whether you can travel under your own steam and how difficult it is to do so.
Not meant to be personal or insulting.. etc.... Just trying to look at this issue/request from various sides.

oops.. you did say where you were after carefully reading your post. I have no idea where that town is located though..Sorry...

paladin
05-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Chuck....welcome to the forum..from another Chuck......

charlesparmele
05-12-2007, 10:05 PM
First, I want to thank all who have responded to my post. As for my disability I will just say it does not limit my getting around. I can work on hobbies and hopefully turn one into a profession. So if anyone near Poulsbo, Kitsap county area can help drop a line.

Paul Girouard
05-13-2007, 01:07 AM
Port Townsend would be the place to look . Not really "close" to you but they'd have something like what your looking for. Good luck .

LiveAboard
05-13-2007, 06:51 AM
If you're truly interested in boats as a trade, I'd suggest some structured learning. Here's a place in Port Hadlock:

http://www.nwboatschool.org/about/

It's about 45 mins from Pouslbo. If you got serious about it, maybe you could find another RV park/campground up in Nordland or Port Townsend.

Good luck

S.V. Airlie
05-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Good luck Chuck P....I wish you the best...

charlesparmele
05-15-2007, 11:04 PM
I think I might have enough area in my RV area to build a small canoe ~13' long. It will be built outside. I would love to try a cedar strip. Would this work. Recommend any good books. As Always thank you for the posts.
Charles "Chuck" Parmele

Tom W.
05-19-2007, 01:58 PM
The best book on cedar strip canoe construction is Ted Moores' book available at bookstores and from the WBS store. I built my first boat from that book, and it worked out great. You can buy strips from many sources, such as Newfound Boatworks, at http://www.newfound.com/stripcanoe_kits.htm or probably places closer to you. Not hard to find suppliers of strips. Unless you have good stationary machinery I would recommend buying strips rather than making them yourself. It is a fun way to build, and you end up with the envy of the boatlaunch.

Bob Triggs
10-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Hello my name is Charles Parmele. I am a disabled vet and live in an RV park located in Poulsbo, Wa. I very much would love to build a small boat, maybe a canoe or something car toppable. An RV park is not exactly the place to build. I would love to find a place to build and learn. I am on disability and would love to learn something new to do as a hobby or trade.
Any advice would be welcome. Need to find resources.
Charles "Chuck" Parmele

The Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding
Port Hadlock, WA (about 1/2 hour north of you.)
Aside from huge programs that last months or over a year, they offer many classes and elective studies in a wide range of boatbuilding tasks, skills, etc, From building complete small boats over a few weeks time, to tools & sharpening etc, welding, carpentry, planking, designs and lofting, even sailmaking.
www.nwboatschool.org (http://www.nwboatschool.org)