View Full Version : bronze stantions

S.V. Airlie
05-08-2007, 07:00 AM
I put an order in with Toplicht for stantions and bases ( bronze ) on March 20th. Umm.. seems to have been back ordered. e-mailed them last week and received a reply... 2-3 months...:eek:
Now I know the company that makes them is in the UK... Anyone over there aware of the company's name? I think I would like to go the direct approach.....and cancel my order with Toplicht.
2-3 months is a bit long.
Perhaps an alternative company?
To give you an indication stantions were about 80 Euros each.. bases about 53.00 ( including what ever taxes were involved.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-08-2007, 07:04 AM

S.V. Airlie
05-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks Andrew.. They appear to be a bit more pricey. But I'm researching them...
I guess what I have learned is that Toplicht gets the stations from an English company... and has them shipped to Toplicht...
I'm looking for the company that sells to Toplicht.
2-3 months for an order that was placed almost 2 months ago seems a bit extreme. It is not as though I only ordered one.. more like ten... plus bases for ten.

05-08-2007, 09:36 AM
You can also try http://www.rwrope.com The Rope Warehouse imports bronze hardware from Davey & Co. of London, England.

I guess you can also Google Davey & Co. directly.

S.V. Airlie
05-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Ahh.. norm.. thanks.. that was the company that sells the stantions to Toplicht. I just could not remember it.:eek:

05-08-2007, 09:42 AM
I believe that R&W gets their Davey hardware via an outfit in Canada, so you can anticipate more of a delay for that part of their product line than what they carry in house in the USofA. Very nice folks to work with!

05-08-2007, 09:46 AM
This may have been suggested previously ...

S.V. Airlie
05-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Thorne etc.. Just talked to RWRopes... Seems as though they have been having a lot of trouble with Davey ( re: orders ) and now have orders specially made. I had a nice talk with the crowd in Bedford. They will be back to me.
Will see...

pss.. just got an e-mail from Classic Matine 10-12 weeks which sounds like 2-3 months. If I had not put an order in with Toplicht two months ago...ummm...
I guess it might be a situation of hurry up and wait.. but I did trey to give Toplicht plenty of time. No, perhaps not their problem... but...
Now.. I guess I am in a sliight rush which I tried to avoid by ordering when I did.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-08-2007, 10:20 AM
please see PM

Ken Hutchins
05-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Paul Rollins has some nice patterns he made, pm
Cullen T.M. McGough, to get details I need some also.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Classic Marine are reliable. Not cheap, but reliable.

S.V. Airlie
05-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Andrew.. no questions about being reliable.. just the 2-3 months for delivery...

05-08-2007, 11:14 AM
I'll second contacting Pete at Port Townsend Foundry. They may be able to cast some for you quicker than 2 or three months and, given the current exchange rate between the dollar vs. the pound and euro, they may even cost less. The shipping costs will be less for sure.

Bob Cleek
05-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Given the simplicity of the casting, I'd be inclined to check out what a local foundry would charge you to cast what you need. All you need to do is turn a pattern on a lathe and off you go! You'll save a lot if you do your own polishing on the casting.

05-08-2007, 03:52 PM
There was a whole set on ebay not long ago that went for $900. Wish I'd known you were looking.

05-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Did you call/e-mail Lunenburg Foundry to see if they have a pattern you like?

S.V. Airlie
05-09-2007, 02:48 PM
well just off the phone with RWropes.. 300.00 each not counting base.
I think I'm gonna have to go back to the foundary in Lunenburg.
Of course the metal plays a part.. Bronze vs. gunmetal.
So, I'll give the Lunenburg crowd another call.

S.V. Airlie
05-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Well. although I really don't like this but I have called around.. Either the price/station is cost prohibitive ( between 240.00 and 300. for the stantions and approx 80.00 for the bases ) I am gonna have to buy stainless steel. I don't like them but at some point, to do what really should be done to compliment an old boat is just not logical.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Well, my old boat was built with galvanised steel ones - in 1937. Forged by the local blacksmith, like her knees and floors.

That would be "in keeping" and not expensive.

05-11-2007, 05:25 AM
as Bob Cleek sugested get some bronze ( cu al) round bar have it turned the way you like; it is almost as strong as steel and it is easely weldable (mig...) and even forgable at the right temp.
think this would be a lot cheaper (but more work)

05-11-2007, 07:25 AM

Could you just wait the 2-3 months for delivery from Toplicht and make do with something else until they arrive? If not, Andrew's idea about galvanized is interesting. But I'm not a big stainless fan ...

S.V. Airlie
05-11-2007, 07:33 AM
Well, of course I could... I I guess it bugs me.. being scottish, that I would have to buy a set of stainless now.. gotta have them.. I'm sailing alone.. at xxx..# of dollars and then spending 3x # of dollars in two or three months for bronze ones.
I guess my feeling right now is.. bronze can wait. Safety first.

05-11-2007, 09:24 AM

Sorry if you've already covered this in previous discussions, but could you maybe use a jackline (?) and clipped in harness in lieu of lifelines for a couple of months? I've heard some say lifelines are a false sense of security anyway. Just a thought - I'd love to see bronze stanchions on that boat when she's down this way!

Gary E
05-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Whose gona keep the bronze pollished?

Besides the price, which would dictate SS to me,
do some calculations on weight saving,
I think you will find it worthwhile.

S.V. Airlie
05-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Whose gona keep the bronze pollished?

Gary are ya nuts? I like the petina... Polish.. nope!!!!!
As an experiment, polished Uncas' pulpit one time... three days later.. umm.. back to the petina... Told myself.. yup, looks good the way it is.
And it is not as though Stainless stays the same as the day you bought it.