PDA

View Full Version : Applesauce

Nicholas Carey
05-07-2007, 07:01 PM
What do you think?

From BoingBoing, I found this little tidbit of pedagological wonderment: http://www.boingboing.net/2007/05/07/lousy_test_question_.html
Lousy test question for fourth graders

My fourth-grade daughter is taking a series of standardized tests in school this week, called the ERB tests. Her teachers handed out a practice test last week, and when I was going over it, I came across a question in the math section that I think has several possible correct answers:
9. Sara wants to measure how much applesauce she made this fall. If she uses metric, which unit should she use?
A) gram
B) liter
C) kilogram
D) centimeterI've shown this question to a movie director, a screenwriter, and a magazine editor, and they think its a lousy question, too. I've even heard a decent argument for d).

What do you think? Weigh in here: Link (http://www.quicktopic.com/39/H/kGVwqgHHcKSe)

brad9798
05-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Ounces here ... translates into grams in that silly Metric system! ;)

jack grebe
05-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Who really cares????

S/V Laura Ellen
05-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Apple sauce is measured as a volume (fluid ounce in the US) or Liter in the metric system.

Bruce Hooke
05-07-2007, 07:24 PM
This important point was made on the other forum:

The question came from a test-prep workbook. Those are NOT written by the folks who write the actual exam. They are written by any number of publishers who specialize in practice workbooks, just like you can buy GRE practice books written by Kaplan or other folks unaffiliated with the ETS that creates the real exam. The real writers of these workbooks are badly paid, given absurd deadlines, and insufficient guidelines. I know, because I'm one of them. If you do quality work, the practice books cost more and the school districts don't buy them. Chances are, the question used to ask what liquid measure or some other clarification was in there, and a zealous editor took it out for pagefit without thinking.

S/V Laura Ellen
05-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Ounces here ... translates into grams in that silly Metric system! ;)
Only in a weight measure, in a liquid measure is would be in litres.

John B
05-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Thixotropics are so ambivalent. ah, I mean ambiguous.

Shane had a thread on this facet the other day and he was pretty confused by it too.

Bruce Hooke
05-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Which is one of the better examples of why our system is kind of silly...to have one unit that is both a weight and a volume measure depending on context is kind of foolish! :D

Nicholas Carey
05-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Ounces here ... translates into grams in that silly Metric system! ;)Are those fluid, imperial, troy or avoirdupois ounces? :D

The only ounces that map to grams are troy (31.1034768g) and avoirdupois (28.349523g). Fluid and imperial ounces, being volumetric, map to cc/ml.

[edited to note...it's funny that they use the same unit twice (gram/kilogram), with scaling factor the only difference. :rolleyes:]

Bruce Hooke
05-07-2007, 08:58 PM
[edited to note...it's funny that they use the same unit twice (gram/kilogram), with scaling factor the only difference. :rolleyes:]

A lot more than twice:

10^0 gram g 101 decagram dag
10^2 hectogram hg
10^3 kilogram kg
10^6 megagram Mg
10^9 gigagram Gg
10^12 teragram Tg
10^15 petagram Pg
10^18 exagram Eg
10^21 zettagram Zg
10^24 yottagram Yg

And there is a similar progressing going towards smaller weights.

Then there are centimeters, meters, kilometers, etc.! Gee, a kilometer is 1000 meters just as a kilogram is a 1000 grams! :D

brad9798
05-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Yes- I wasn't thinking volume ... my error!

Nicholas Carey
05-08-2007, 05:08 PM
A lot more than twice:

10^0 gram g
10^1 decagram dag
10^2 hectogram hg I know that. I just think it funny they included the mass unit twice in the multiple-guess list, but volume and length just once. Whether gram or kilogram measure would be more appropriate is pretty much dependent on the quantity of applesauce involved -- we talking 3 or 4 mason jars of applesauce here, or an entire pallet?).