PDA

View Full Version : LP's (big black CD's)

Phillip Allen
05-03-2007, 06:41 AM
I've got a large stack of old LP's that don't get much play any more...the one top as I write this is The Doors...Waiting for the Sun. What I'd like to know is how best to sell this stuff...record collectors?

the stack must be 4 feet high

S.V. Airlie
05-03-2007, 06:45 AM
Phillip.. there has to be a buyer's guide for old lps... Check the internet.. Go through what you have.. A record with original cover is worth more etc.... etc....
And there is always condition...:D

Paul Pless
05-03-2007, 06:48 AM
A record with original cover is worth more etc.... etc....
And there is always condition...

yup and yup...

...or you could just send them to me, I'll let you know if ther're worth anything.;)

Phillip Allen
05-03-2007, 06:48 AM
Thanks Jamie...lot of travel wear on jackets and some got wet in the fire...won't affect the LP but does add value

Phillip Allen
05-03-2007, 06:49 AM
Thanks Paul...I"m sure you would... :)

Uncle Duke
05-03-2007, 06:57 AM
I sympathize. I've got about 8 feet of LP's, all in lovely condition, sitting on the shelf next to me. I've been saying for years that I'm going to sell them on eBay, but I never seem to get around to it. I even listen to them sometimes - last night played "Soul On Fire" by the obscure African band "Moloko".
I really need to copy some of these to CD, but that is such a pain in the *%!.... or maybe I'm just lazy. :D

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
05-03-2007, 07:00 AM
You just get on the bus, Gus.

http://www.hardtofindrecordsrecordstore.com/htfrimages/BMR70235.jpg (http://www.htfr.com/more-info/?catno=MR70235)

MarkC
05-03-2007, 07:04 AM
You want to sell them? - cant you still enjoy them?

http://www.retrothing.com/hifi_audio/index.html

a good link to read and a great site!

Uncle Duke
05-03-2007, 07:33 AM

Well, I don't play them very often, maybe once a month. Maybe less. Most of our music is on CD now - we have about 750 CD's - so the LP's are just taking up space. We probably already have CD copies of about a quarter of the LP's, so those could go with no loss. Some of the LP's I really don't like very much, so those could go to. There must be someone out there who would appreciate them more than I do. :D
I'd really like to cut back on the total number of "things" filling up the house... we have way too much "stuff".

Popeye
05-03-2007, 07:33 AM
i had a bud who bought a whole bunch of lp's for a few dollars , elvis , 60's sing-a-long stuff ,one album actually had the word 'jamboree' written on the cover and some guy in a white cardigan with perfect teeth and hair holding a banjo

then we got a twenty dollar high fidelity 'stereo' from the junk store , it had a record changer , an 8 track console player , bass and treble knobs and speakers with a plastic woodgrain finish

two albums and three beers later , it started sounding pretty good

S.V. Airlie
05-03-2007, 07:34 AM
There must be someone out there who would appreciate them more than I do.

Calling Paul P.. calliong Paul P....:rolleyes:

Uncle Duke
05-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Keep those albums clean!
I use the gizmo below ("Record Doctor", by Nitty Gritty) with some magic cleaning fluid. Scrub the fluid into the grooves, then let the gizmo vacuum it all out. It's just amazing how much of the junk it removes...
http://www.audioadvisor.com/images/NGRD3_000.JPG

Popeye
05-03-2007, 08:58 AM
seems to me an ultrasonic bath would clean lp's

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
05-03-2007, 09:15 AM
In the early 80s I found that CDs were lots more convenient than LPs - the Damascine moment was when SWMBO borrowed one from a CD library - and on opening the case discovered a layer of jam with toastcrumbs - she rinsed it under the tap, buffed it on a sleeve - and it played as good as new.

Wild Dingo
05-03-2007, 12:35 PM
THE 80s??? Man I didnt get my first CD till 1995!!! Always had and always will have tapes... just love them

fair enough now an again you'll get a touch of too much bulldust through the vents into the cassette deck but hey for a bushbash or in the shed theres nothing NOTHING that compares to a tape deck! :cool:

Sorry Im just not into the CD thing... and as for mp3s and mp4s I know Bethy Jacinta and Brie have them as do the other hoons but me? nope give me a tape or an LP and Im in music heaven... see the hoons are right I am a trog!! actually a fan too! ;)

We used to have a swag of LPs and the little singles but Im buggared if I know where they are... probably got washed in the flood but then again could be amid the crap and crud her bloody highness has out in my 40ft seatainer SUPPOSED to be finishing shop :mad: luckily I had pretty much taped them all so Ive still got the sounds... mmm songs of the protest era... doors... white album... all with the original snap crackle and pop of the needle ooh yeah!! :cool:

elf
05-03-2007, 01:28 PM
12-14 feet of CDs, 11 Gigs of mp3s, 1100 LPs, 2 liquor cartons of 78s, a couple hundred casettes. No iPod, dead turntable, double deck casette player that has to be hand started to go on either side, 5 CD changer.

Moving to CD through the computer has to be done in real time, so fergit that. Many of the CDs are replications of the LPs, however. The mp3s are about 85% live off Auntie Beeb and the Grateful Dead weekly podcast. Most of the casettes are 6 years of the Prairie Home show.

I listen to the radio, Auntie Beeb radio 3, the mitteldeutscher Rundfunk and Bayern 4Klassik.

All that material is dead storage. If anyone knows an environmentally responsible way to dispose of LPs and 78s please tell me.

Phillip Allen
05-03-2007, 01:41 PM
I've got a few PHC tapes...

Paul Pless
05-03-2007, 02:46 PM
then we got a twenty dollar high fidelity 'stereo' from the junk store , it had a record changer , an 8 track console player , bass and treble knobs and speakers with a plastic woodgrain finish

I always wanted one of those console jobs with the speakers that light up to the rhythm of the music.

Nicholas Carey
05-03-2007, 05:32 PM

http://www.retrothing.com/hifi_audio/index.html

a good link to read and a great site!You don't need that just to rip LPs.

Just drop $40 and get yerself a Griffin iMic (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/) -- it's a little gizmothingy that has a USB cable on one end and 3.5mm miniplug input and ouput on the other. To hook up your turntable, you'll need a cable that will take two female RCA plugs on one end and gender-bend them to a single 3.5mm stereo miniplug on the other. Don't forget the chassis ground for the turntable [unless you like that 60hz hummmm :p]

Hook it all up, install Final Vinyl or Audacity or the Recording Software of Your Choice and you should be ready to rip. If you're willing to do a little work or spring some $$ for software, you can edit out the hisss-and-pop from the LP rip.

TimH
05-03-2007, 05:47 PM
I have about 300 cassette tapes which have been played to death.
Bad thing about tapes is they wear out.

Backfin
05-03-2007, 06:04 PM
I have been giving mine away to the neighborhood kids. They come over when they see me in the shop. My only request is that they burn it to disc for me. They also have to listen to my lecture about the album, the geneaology of the musicians and the cryptic meaning of various the tracks. Everybody is happy. Tull got good reviews. :)

Bob Adams
05-03-2007, 06:49 PM
I still spin vinyl on the rare occasions thet I break out my DJ gear. A properly mastered LP is a joy to listen to, if it pops and crackles, you have abused it. There are exceptions, as Norman alluded to, some recordings were brutaliy equalized and could never sound good regardless of the recording media.BTW, I am not a purist, I use CDs also, much easier to cue.

PS...at parties I do, kids are ALWAYS curious about the records. "Wow mister, is that a new technology?"

Wild Dingo
05-03-2007, 08:38 PM
I have about 300 cassette tapes which have been played to death.
Bad thing about tapes is they wear out.

True indeed... so true Tim... and the other thing? they get stuck!! geeeez that rips me!:mad: and its usually that SPECIAL tape that does it :( man I dont know how many times Ive lost me Bob Marley tape and had to buy anothery or find that hiding out somewhere in the dark recesses of some cupboard copy I made when I bought it... but usually it chomps the tape when your out back somewhere 100 klicks from the nearest phart'nspew that may just JUST sell anothery... but then the tape deck needs a serious headjob cause its now full of bulldust from the jumpups youve just crossed that lurk in the dirt road pretending to be corrigations but are infact mountains that exist simply to if your experienced fill your car with the finest bulldust you will ever breathe or get stuck in your tape deck or if not slash your tyres rip the underbelly of the 4x4 your driving to bits and finally slowly sucking it down under the bulldust to be hidden and lost to mankind..

Oh thats a double entre thing eh? 2 warnings in 1 thing! :cool: first the tape deck chomping the tape or getting full of dust and needing a headjob second the hidden dangers that lurk in outback Aussie
"roads" do not believe what you hear about the road bein dirt but passable but not in rainy season... cause in the rainy season it ISNT a road its the MOST AWESOMESTLY BRILLIANT mud slide inducing suck down anything on wheels or feet play pen there is!! and when its not wet its dry and if its dry its the soddingest mongrelest bone crunching axle sheerin tyre rippin peice of bullock trail ever!

oh buggar it stick to the cities if you come downunder... its just safer... and stick to the music in your head it doesnt faulter one bit!! Nope its chrystal clear perfeckshun with YOUR own voice... frig the machines and man made stuff go with the sounds in your noggin... far bedderah! :D

(Translation... phart 'n spew... roadhouse truck stop... mainly refers to one at Fortesque River in West Aus and originally a play on the name but after many years of experience at many different roadhouses around this great country of ours its become my nickname for all of them... gawd some have the most revolting tucker this side of anywhere!!... oh and the FR one DONT whatever you do DONT drink the water... not even a cuppa coffee!!! its bore water... and no they dont tell you you just get this MOST RANK tasting coffee... an ala the phart n spew... cheers!)

MarkC
05-04-2007, 02:58 AM
I love reading the retrothing web site www.retrothing.com (http://www.retrothing.com)

He runs through the 'outdated' formats:

- the first dictaphones (wire recording)
- reel to reel
- LPs and singles (picture singles!) 78's, 45's, 16's
- 8 track
- cassette tape
- DAT tape!
- mini disk
- mp1- mp2 and the first mp3 machine

On the site - and also this link - www.crosleyradio.com/prods/cr89.html (http://www.crosleyradio.com/prods/cr89.html) look at the newly made (wooden) portable vinyl single player - that would be fun on a boat.

martin schulz
05-04-2007, 03:05 AM
I think every sort of music has its own "media".

It is totally ridiculous to play, lets say an old Chuck Berry song on better and more sophisticated equipment than the song was recorded on.

Bob Adams
05-04-2007, 10:07 AM
I love reading the retrothing web site www.retrothing.com (http://www.retrothing.com)

He runs through the 'outdated' formats:

- the first dictaphones (wire recording)
- reel to reel
- LPs and singles (picture singles!) 78's, 45's, 16's
- 8 track
- cassette tape
- DAT tape!
- mini disk
- mp1- mp2 and the first mp3 machine

On the site - and also this link - www.crosleyradio.com/prods/cr89.html (http://www.crosleyradio.com/prods/cr89.html) look at the newly made (wooden) portable vinyl single player - that would be fun on a boat.

Gee, I never knew reel to reel was outdated! I have an Ampex, a Roberts (Akai) and two Teac reel decks.

Nicholas Carey
05-04-2007, 01:33 PM
I think every sort of music has its own "media".

It is totally ridiculous to play, lets say an old Chuck Berry song on better and more sophisticated equipment than the song was recorded on.There's a company in England -- Past Perfect Records (http://www.pastperfect.com/) -- that specializes on taking 78rpm glass masters, ripping them and stripping out the hiss/pop and otherwise cleaning the sound up. There's a lot more information [fidelity] on those old glass masters than you would ever expect, or could get out of a turntable. Check 'em out -- their download store lets you preview the stuff.

MarkC
05-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Gee, I never knew reel to reel was outdated! I have an Ampex, a Roberts (Akai) and two Teac reel decks.

Sorry Bob!

I meant 'outdated'... in quotations.

For me it is all part of the process - setting up the machine - playing the music and relaxing.

MarkC
05-04-2007, 02:30 PM
It is totally ridiculous to play, lets say an old Chuck Berry song on better and more sophisticated equipment than the song was recorded on.

Ah yes, the 'Who' and tin speakers.

Qquuuuakchang!!! - 'I can go anwhere, when I choose....' Quaaaaachang!!!