PDA

View Full Version : Considering Lasik

Gary E
05-02-2007, 11:56 AM
any comments on what it helped or did not help?
Interested in your condition before, and after.
Aprox cost ?

Thanks

TimH
05-02-2007, 12:19 PM
I have been considering it. I get nervous at the the possibility of an error though. You only get 2 eyes....screw them up and your toast.

Plus what about long term degeneration. Lasik doesnt stop that, so chances are in a few years you may be back in glasses or contacts again. If that happens...whats the point of the risk?

Andrew
05-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Approaching six years since my Lasik. I've noticed a slight weakning in distance vision in one eye. The other is developing a cataract so it's hard to tell. My prescription prior to the surgery was -6.75 and -6.50, pretty bad. My near vision actually seemed to improved slightly after the surgery. The cost was on the order of $2000 for both eyes. Ten minute procedurem with no discomfort after a 2 hr nap.

One piece of advice. If it is not covered by your insurance and your company has a pre-tax medical account option you can save a little more in the long run.

Gary E
05-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Well... thanks fellows... guess it cant hurt to go talk to them...
I dont know what these prescription numbers mean but
here they are...

R eye... SPHERE -5.00 Clynder -1.00 Axix 105 Add +250
L ____________-2.75_______ -1.00 ____075 ____+250

This was an exam in December, and I'm still not real happy with the glasses...

TimH
05-02-2007, 02:47 PM
I am a -8.0 in both eyes ...

High C
05-02-2007, 02:50 PM
They should warn you that Lasik WILL make your eyes dryer than before. Drops may become a daily necessity. If your eyes are already on the dry side, I wouldn't do it. My wife did it about five years ago, her eyes slightly on the dry side before, are very dry now, drops several times a day.

Now her vision is getting worse in one eye. The doc offers only more surgery, a "touchup" that he admits will worsen the dryness problem. No thanks.

Gary E
05-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks fellows...
And yes, I was told I have astigmatism.. is that the Axis tilt ?

One thing that bothers me about these glasses is that if I look at a Vertical Surface, like the corner of a tall building, and it's near the edge of my vision, not near the center... it's allmost like a fisheye lens... and I KNOW the bricklayer didnt do THAT bad a job... same thing with the vertical blinds... I know there straight...but, not according to what I see.

Gary E
05-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Thanks Norm... sounds good

TimH
05-02-2007, 03:32 PM
I dont even own glasses anymore..havent for years. Just wear contacts. Still would be nice to wake up and see. Especially when camping or such...or when offshore in a force 10 gale. Dont want my contacts to get blown out of my eyes :-)

Uncle Duke
05-02-2007, 03:59 PM
My wife and I both did it about 8 years ago and we're both highly pleased. I went from coke-bottle glasses to nothing except some very light specs if I really feel that I need to see the little letters on street signs or something.
Quick procedure - 10 minutes is about right. No valium or anything else for us, and we didn't feel the need for it. My eyes felt a little dry/scratchy for about a week, I just put drops in when I felt like it. I had it done at 3:00 on a Monday and went to see the Redskins play Monday Night Football at the stadium that night. Astonishing - I could read the names on the uniforms from where I was sitting. I think that I totally bored everyone around me with my constant exclamations of pleasure.
Highest recommendations.

Gary E
05-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks Unk
Reminds me of a time on the boat years ago...
Night, or almost anyway and I could not see a thing...
I told my then 12 or 13 yr old... there ougth to be a buoy out there, should be dead ahead...
he said... you mean that one?...
uhh... where is it, sez I...
RIGHT THERE >>>> doncha see it???

You get the point...