PDA

View Full Version : Puffin 28 update

Mike Keers
01-05-2003, 11:39 AM
Alright gang,
Some of you know I've been building the Karl Stambaugh-designed Puffin 28 Diesel Cruiser, a cold molded sedan cruiser, for a coupla years.

I just recently updated the website that's following the project. There were a few site updates over the summer and fall I didn't post here, so you may want to go back a few, or start at the beginning and fast forward if you're a repeat visitor.

Work has pretty much stopped for the winter, so I don't expect to be posting any new site updates for a few months until building season resumes--but I'll keep pecking away at stuff on the boat itself over the winter.
Puffin 28 (http://personal.riverusers.com/~emkay/puffwelcome.html)

capt jake
01-05-2003, 12:05 PM
Looks very nice Mike. Nice details. smile.gif

Wild Dingo
01-05-2003, 12:14 PM
Dang da dang!!! baba bing!! here I was wondering what you were up to and you go post this?!! actually Mike I was looking for it today before after I emailed you mate...

Your goin along at a cracking pace mate! :cool: Launch day soon??? love the windows... is that the newest style from Lexan? gaboonply clear no tint? :D actually one of the most important things a fella needs on any boat is in there already... yes that all important... HEAD!! tongue.gif yeeeeeeeha says Mike no more runnin into the house gots me own head here missus! :D

Excellent! lot to read and catch up on so will bookmark it and come back when its a bit earlier/later in the day but its lookin good... thanks for the update Mike

Shane

Mike Vogdes
01-05-2003, 12:55 PM
Lookin good Mike...
I've been checking in from time to time, shes really taking shape. Do you have a tenative launch date?

Rogue Sailor
01-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Magnificent! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

videoguy
01-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Mike she's looking realy good I'm in the same boat as you with Floozie my redwing 21 Just doing
odds and ends on her till it warms up some . Thanks for the update............Phil

Mike Keers
01-05-2003, 05:27 PM
Thanx for all the positive comments. I don't have a launch date set, but I'm pretty sure it ain't gonna be this year--just flat too much to do yet, and a lot of it isn't just time and effort; it's coming to the point of having to spend lots of dollars I ain't got, for stuff like tanks, the windows (when they're that big, it's hard to call them, 'ports' or 'lights')and systems stuff.

Of course I could take Shane's advice and simply go for the privacy those Okoume ports provide. :D Maybe just paint windows on the outside. I suppose then I could paint murals on the inside too, so I'd always be cruising my favorite waters in perfect conditions. Then again, my wife says why finish it at all, I can just rotate around between Puff and the several other boats I have in the yard--virtual sailing, as it were. She even says I'm welcome to go out and sleep aboard any of them any time I get the 'go to sea' urge. She promises to sneak aboard in the middle of the night and throw buckets of cold water on me, just to make it more realistic. What a woman.

A lot of it at this point is just spinning my wheels--I go aboard and do mock-ups and stuff of interior things--I really need to make decisions about where stuff is gonna go before I can start running pipes and hoses and wires and so forth.

And after the boat is done (are they ever?) I have to figger out a trailer too.

Ah, but it's all part of the fun and games! ;)

ishmael
01-05-2003, 05:28 PM
Looking really good Mike! First time I've seen this site. Nicely done.

Any words of wisdom about the building technique? Any major hurdles not reported. Tired of sanding yet? ;)

Jack

Mike Keers
01-05-2003, 06:45 PM
Ish,
I was sick of sanding a year ago, and I haven't gotten over it yet. :D In the Grand Scheme, I am over the greatest part.

As for words of wisdom, I don't think I'll ever tackle a cold molded boat this large again--the sides are two layers of ply, but the bottom is four layers--'double-double' diagonal planking I guess--about half of it in strips...it really is like building the boat four times--you get all the way to one end, and start all over again. I thought strip planking was slow, but at least you only do it once. But there is all that fairing...

One last thought--you gotta love googe--there's an awful lot of it in there. But I've built fiberglass boats from scratch (and scratch and scratch)with polyester resin in the Good Old Days :rolleyes: , and I'd eat epoxy-coated rubber gloves before I'd pop another can of polyester in this lifetime.

VidGuy--I've been out of the loop for a while, how far along are you with The Flooze? Are you satisfied overall with the design, construction techniques, quality of the plans, etc etc?