X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ishmael
    Banned
    • Jun 2000

Body Heat(the film)

It's been a bit dreary here today, and I watched it for the first time. Kathleen Turner, William Hurt at their youthful bests. It's an homage to the forties and fifties noir--in color of all things. Pretty good, dark, murder/love story. Unlike a lot of modern murder mysteries that rely endlessly on red herrings, this one is a straight line about a really clever sociopath, who with her considerable charms leads a tainted but likeable lawyer down the garden path to do murder for her.

It's pretty good at keeping you guessing, and has good performances by the secondaries, Ted Danson, Micky Rourke, Richard Crenna. All but Rourke's interesting, quirky casting out of type.

I won't tell you more, in case you haven't seen it and want to.

P.S. It's not graphically violent, but it is pretty steamy in places, so parental discretion advised.
    Last edited by ishmael; 04-28-2007, 07:02 PM.
  • rbgarr
    43.50.918 N, 69.38.583 W
    • Apr 1999

I thought it was Ted Danson's best performance ever.
    For the most part experience is making the same mistakes over and over again, only with greater confidence.

Comment

• ishmael
      Banned
      • Jun 2000

I didn't realize it WAS Danson until about halfway through. And I never knew he could dance. LOL.

There're some memorable long shots, and the use of the tight shot(which really puts an actor on the spot) is well done. The writing stands up pretty well after twenty years, too.

I love Chinatown and don't think I've seen Meanstreets or L.A. Confidential.
      Last edited by ishmael; 04-28-2007, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• Sam F
        Banned
        • Jan 2002

Jack if you want to watch really good film noir... get a copy of Double Indemnity.
        Last edited by Sam F; 04-29-2007, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• Tom W.
          • Aug 2005

LA Confidential is really worth renting. Very good flick, with lots of great actors who were to go far but were still early in their careers.
          Russell Crowe, Kevin Spacey, Kim Bassinger. Oscar for writer and Bassinger.

Comment

• brad9798
            • May 2000

Great film ... for its time!

The glasses ruined it, no?
            Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

Comment

• ishmael
              Banned
              • Jun 2000

"The Big Sleep," I think considered the Ur noir by many, has holes in the plot you could drive a Mack truck through. Bogart opposite Bacall. This film does too, though maybe not quite so big.

I think it's part of the deal. The glasses, who was this mysterious woman who was in the fire? Not the name, who was she? Matty, the femme fatal, knows and we don't...and never will.

Part of the attraction.

Sam,

I've seen Double Indemnity, but it was years back. Fred McMurray and I can't remember who, Barbara Stanwick?

The original "The Postman Always Rings Twice" was pretty good too. The re-make a hash.

Comment

Working...