PDA

View Full Version : Hot coating Captains Z-Spar

Lazy Jack
05-24-2003, 07:58 AM
Can Captains Z-spar be hot-coated successfully? What happens if I recoat over a previous coat that has dried to the point of just slightly tacky. Is it really necessary to fully cure and sand each coat?

Concordia..41
05-24-2003, 08:10 AM
I've hot coated most brands for a couple of coats esp. early on, but the problem usually occurs when you get too carried away and apply so many coats in succession that the lower coats get sealed in without being allowed to fully cure. Temperature and humidity are also factors.

Happy varnishing :D

Scott Rosen
05-24-2003, 09:31 AM
What Margo said. It's okay for early coats, but you're going to get alligators because the heavy coats won't let the solvents dry fast enough.

Apply your early coats two or three a day. After six coats or so, give it a couple of days to get a good cure. Then give it a thorough sanding and apply your finish coats one a day.

Lazy Jack
05-24-2003, 09:54 AM
I've had problems with tree pollen, stray mosquitoes and gnats in my varnish because it didn't cure quick enough, but alligators?!

Thanks for the replies. I'll follow your advise.

Tom Barnatt
05-24-2003, 01:57 PM
WoodenBoat #135, pg. 59, "How Not To Varnish" by Georgia McDonald. You do what she suggests and you'll never go wrong as far as i'm concerned. I have varnished the Mahogany and Spruce spars on our 40 yr old cat boat using her advice to the letter and have had no regrets. So often often in this world, with speed goes quality. Take your time!! It's worth it.