PDA

View Full Version : Deck II

Andreas Wiese
02-25-2002, 07:15 AM
Just following on from mariner2k's post......

I have never seen a fibreglass cloth/epoxy covered deck before (on a wooden boat, that is), am I wrong to assume that the surface will be rougher than with traditional cloth/dynel?
- If so what sort of product can I use to make the deck fairer?

Andreas

Hugh Paterson
02-25-2002, 09:34 AM
Hi Andreas, its quite common in lieu of a traditional canvas/cloth covering to see a fiberglass cloth covered deck, if not frowned upon by some people that swear by the trad canvas covered deck. I am due to start work on a Dragon that has had the canvas deck replaced a number of years ago by a GRP alternative and the timber below it is fine. The last owner done it to stop rainwater falling on him while in his pipe cot and swears by it, it looks good if applied correctly, most often done with epoxy resin in lieu of the polyester stuff this was done with.
There is a chain of thought however that it can make the deck too stiff and not allow for the natural movement (expansion/contraction) of the wood itself and is frowned upon in some quarters!
Regards Shuggie.

WFK
02-25-2002, 10:07 AM
Andreas;

Epoxy and cloth is a great way for covering over a deck, if it's plywood. Never over a laid deck!
If you do go with the cloth and epoxy, it's very important that the bottom side gets coated with epoxy as well. If you don't, then moisture can travel from below and over time will cause surface cracks on your deck. At the very least, paint the bottm side. Epoxy resin is much more flexible then polyester allowing for better movement. In regards to your non skid situation. After coating your deck with a second coat of epoxy, primer, and paint, it would be quite smooth, so a non skid compound should be added. I've done it several ways, but normally I make the compound follow the curve of a laid deck, bordering the house as well as toe rails. The key here is to put the compound in your first coat of paint and only paint in the area you want the nonskid to be. After that has dried, sweep of any loose compound and paint the entire surface.

Andreas Wiese
02-26-2002, 06:27 AM
Thanks guys!

I'm more confident that I've made the right decision now!

Andreas