PDA

View Full Version : Georgia High School Integrates Prom!

PatCox
04-23-2007, 03:26 PM
http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/georgia-school-holds-first-integrated/20070423102809990002?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Whatever is the world coming to? Why, if this goes on, soon there will be no vestiges of apartheid left in the south.

Its the usual pattern adopted in the south, when integration was mandated and discrimination became illegal, the school simply stopped having a prom, rather than have a prom in which blacks and whites mixed, (great way to flout the law) and that lovely tradition lasted right up until last weekend.

Kaa
04-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Its the usual pattern adopted in the south, when integration was mandated and discrimination became illegal, the school simply stopped having a prom, rather than have a prom in which blacks and whites mixed, (great way to flout the law) and that lovely tradition lasted right up until last weekend.

Some priceless quotes...

...she said. "The white people have theirs, and the black people have theirs. It's nothing racial at all."

:D :D

Kaa

mister_moon
04-23-2007, 03:42 PM
What's your point Pat?

My daughter is right now running around in our Georgia backyard with her best friends, a black girl and an British ex-pat. We're moving in two weeks to a home a couple of doors down from the the first girl.

The south isn't what you think it is. But you've been told that many times here on the forum, so I don't expect you to beleive it this time.

PatCox
04-23-2007, 03:54 PM
I went to high school in the south, nobody had to tell me. It was everywhere around me. Northerners don't have a word for southerners, did you know that? Whereas the expression "damn yankee" is something a northern boy going to high school in the south hears quite a lot.

There's lots of high schools in the south still have segregated proms. But as the delightful southern belle in the article said, "its not racism, its just seperate."

Anyone ever heard of a "seg academy?"

Phillip Allen
04-23-2007, 04:09 PM
I went to school across the street from where I'm typing this...I never saw any racism. On the other hand there were no blacks here and if we had wanted them we would have had to bus them from pretty far away. It has become my notion that racism exists mostly at the confluence of the races and not upstream...for the most part.

There are now many black families living nearby including my daughter's neighbors...BIG DEAL!

Art Read
04-23-2007, 04:15 PM
I seem to recall reading about this school several years ago. If I remember correctly, the school district WANTED to integrate the prom but met some of the strongest resistance from the black community. They didn't want to give up the "tradition" of their own prom... For what it's worth...

Paul Pless
04-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Northerners don't have a word for southerners, did you know that?

Hmmm.... did you know there's a universally known word for petty trolls like yourself: ASSHOLE

Memphis Mike
04-23-2007, 04:17 PM
He must be bored today. Pity.

Guys, why pay any attention to him?

Thanks Paul. I was going to suggest "Prick."

PatCox
04-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Paul, I thought you guys were proud of your heritage. You really are too sensitive by half. You could point out, for example, that there were huge riots, by whites, protesting desegregation in Boston in the 70s, and I would not take it so personally. It just is, racism, and its everywhere.

Its not boredom, its current events, this school just held its first integrated prom, last weekend. Thats news, southern school allows black students and white students to dance together, thats great. I bet many of the whites have black friends! And thus, there must be no racism!

Oh, but did you see that picture of the big ole black boy hugging that white girl? His arms around her creamy white body? Thats the kind of image that scares lots of people, thats why they didn't hold integrated proms for so long, wouldn't want the flowers of white southern femininity subjected to the unnnaturally lustful negroes.

So, have you ever heard of a "seg academy?"

skuthorp
04-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Heh, and I thought you were talking about the school allowing gays to bring their partners...

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Wow, I had no idea that issues like this were still current. That said, rascism is not a geographic idea. Toronto Ontario has our biggest black population..... talking to some of the suburban predominantly white folks that live in outlying towns, the biggest weird thing I hear from them is "the neighbourhood is changing, THEY are moving in." They, it turns out, are the Indians, Pakistanis, and blacks. Very sad.

Tristan
04-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Shoot, I thought you meant there'd be boys and girls TOGETHER!

Mrleft8
04-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Ask Ted Landsmark about segregation, and how peaceful it all can be.... Even if you're a 29 y/o lawyer on his way to a meeting on an unrelated subject....

SamSam
04-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Yankees live up North, damn Yankees come to visit, GD Yankees stay.Birds of a feather applies to people, too. Whites aren't alone, all peoples are full of bigots and rascists.