PDA

View Full Version : A couple questions of the USA :

Rum_Pirate
04-18-2007, 09:45 AM
A couple questions of the USA :

1 What is the school leaving age?

2 What is the minimum age to start drinking?

3 What is the minimum age to legally have sex?

4 What is the minimum age to get married?

5 What is the minimum age to vote?

6 What is the minimum age to join the army (and legally kill people)?

7 What is the minimum age to drive a car?

8 What is the minimum age to get a full time job (avoiding child labour)?

9 What is the minimum age to get a mortgage?

10 What is the minimum age to be sent to prison as a juvenile?

11 What is the minimum age to be sentenced to death penelty (in applicable states)?

12 What is the minimum age to buy/own a gun?

Tom Hunter
04-18-2007, 10:09 AM
These vary by State, except for joining the army. I don't know the answers for all 50 ;)

adampet
04-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Alright lets see
1. 16
2. 21
3. depends on the state generally 16
4. again depends on the state..some as young as 14
5. 18
6. 18
7. depends on the state generally 16 1/2
8. 16
9. 18 legal age to sign contracts
10. Not sure what you're asking here
11. depends on whether they want to try you as an adult, which can be done for those under 18
12. again 18, legal age for contracts.

and my question...Why?

Adam

Mrleft8
04-18-2007, 10:20 AM
As Tom said these vary by state, but in Connecticut the answers (To the best of my knowledge are:
1 What is the school leaving age?
Generally 18, but some may stay back, while others may skip a grade or 2.

2 What is the minimum age to start drinking?

3 What is the minimum age to legally have sex?

4 What is the minimum age to get married?

5 What is the minimum age to vote?

6 What is the minimum age to join the army (and legally kill people)?

7 What is the minimum age to drive a car?
16 with conditions. 18 full license

8 What is the minimum age to get a full time job (avoiding child labour)?

9 What is the minimum age to get a mortgage?
I think that depends largely on the lender, but I'd imagine it to be 18

10 What is the minimum age to be sent to prison as a juvenile?
I'm not sure I understand the question. Juvenile hall (or "juvy") is essentially a prison, but you're not mixed into the adult prison population.

11 What is the minimum age to be sentenced to death penelty (in applicable states)?

12 What is the minimum age to buy/own a gun?
Hand gun, shot gun, air gun, rifle? As far as I know there's no age limit on air guns. Lot's of kids get a .22 for their 12th birthday (or used to when shooting rabbits for dinner was more popular than Gameboys)

Wild Dingo
04-18-2007, 10:21 AM
First Im no American but since no one else is answering you I will have a burl... probably make a total cockup of it but hey! I warned you! :D

A couple questions of the USA :

1 What is the school leaving age? Im assuming high school leaving age and not further study Americans do however like to send their kids to college... but Id say between 15 and 17 most likely 17

2 What is the minimum age to start drinking? I believe this is dependant upon the particular state some 18 and others 21

3 What is the minimum age to legally have sex? Usually the age of consent is 16 although some states will probably be higher and others may be lower but doubt it would be less than 15

4 What is the minimum age to get married? Again I believe for most its 16 but others will be no doubt 18 and maybe even 21 although Id doubt that it would be more than 18 as most states see over 18 as adult and therefore old enough to decide.. but if related to 3 above then see 3 above

5 What is the minimum age to vote? 18

6 What is the minimum age to join the army (and legally kill people)? 18

7 What is the minimum age to drive a car? Depending on the state same here in Australia some east coast states are 16 here its 17 NZ I believe is 15 but I could be wrong... I believe in the states its 16

8 What is the minimum age to get a full time job (avoiding child labour)? 16 although like here in Aussie the big companies such as Macleather Burgergunk etc can find a get around so they hire 14 year old without being seen as slave labor as such

9 What is the minimum age to get a mortgage? 18 but this could also be affected by what state you live in

10 What is the minimum age to be sent to prison as a juvenile? 15 I believe there are some juviniles on death row

11 What is the minimum age to be sentenced to death penelty (in applicable states)? see above

12 What is the minimum age to buy/own a gun?unknown I thought anyone could buy a gun in the states just have the money have id and bobs your uncle do it through the streets theres no age limit but thats the same anywhere... legit I dont know

Now hopefully the Americans will wake the heck up and respond ;) ahhhh I see theyve waken :D sooo what was that I was reading about a young 15 year old mentally challenged lad on death row if the age is 18? somethings not right here... ive also heard read that youngsters are also incarcerated in prison depending on the crime etc?

Keith Wilson
04-18-2007, 10:29 AM
These are state laws, except for voting and military enlistment, so it varies somewhat. This is how it is in Minnesota. It was an interesting research exercise.

Leaving School - 18, or 16 with parent’s consent
Drinking – 21. Although there’s a lot of underage drinking, the law is enforced.
Sex – The law is somewhat complex; there are various provisions depending on the relative ages of the partners – 13, 16, or 18 depending. There is an old “fornication” law still technically on the books, but it’s never enforced and would probably be struck down by the courts if it were.
Marriage - 18, or 15 with parental consent
Voting - 18
Enlisting in the military (federal law) 17 with parental consent, 18 without.
Driving -16; there are certain restrictions and exceptions
Working – Fairly complex; 16 mostly, but look here ; http://www.doli.state.mn.us/childlbr.html#Minimum%20age
Mortgage - 18, I think, although perhaps younger with co-signers
Incarceration –12 in the juvenile system, 18 in the adult system, although an occasional offender aged 14-17 can be tried as an adult. This is quite rare, and you have to be charged with something very bad.
There’s no death penalty in Minnesota.
Purchase of guns or ammunition from a dealer –18 for long guns, 21 for handguns. Possession – long guns, no minimum, handguns 18. Concealed carry, 21.