PDA

View Full Version : just an opinion..........

jack grebe
04-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Article By Craig Smith quoted by Jay Leno

The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and came across some poll data I found rather hard to believe. It must be true given the source, right? The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the performance of the president. In essence 2/3s of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change.

So being the knuckle dragger I am, I started thinking, ''What we are so unhappy about?'' Is it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter? Could it be that 95.4 percent of these unhappy folks have a job? Maybe it is the ability to walk into a grocery store at any time and see more food in moments than Darfur has seen in the last year? Maybe it is the ability to drive from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move through each state? Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels we would find along the way that can provide temporary shelter? I guess having thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine from around the world is just not good enough. Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up and provide services to help all and even send a helicopter to take you to the hospital.

Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home. You may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of a fire, a group of trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch equipment to extinguish the flames thus saving you, your family and your belongings. Or if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or prowler intrudes , an officer equipped with a gun and a bullet-proof vest will come to defend you and your family against attack or loss. This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias raping and pillaging the residents. Neighborhoods where 90 percent of teenagers own cell phones and computers. How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the world? Maybe that is what has 67 percent of you folks unhappy

Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S. , yet has a great disdain for its citizens. They see us for what we are. The most blessed people in the world who do nothing but complain about what we don't have,

and what we hate about the country instead of thanking the good Lord we live here.

I know, I know. What about the president who took us into war and has no plan to get us out? The president who has a measly 31 percent approval rating? Is this the same president who guided the nation in the dark days after 9/11? The president that cut taxes to bring an economy out of recession? Could this be the same guy who has been called every name in the book for succeeding in keeping all the spoiled ungrateful brats safe from terrorist attacks? The commander in chief of an all-volunteer army that is out there defending you and me? Did you hear how bad the President is on the news or talk show? Did this news affect you so much, make you so unhappy you couldn't take a look around for yourself and see all the good things and be glad?

Think about it......are you upset at the President because he actually caused you personal pain OR is it because the "Media" told you he was failing to kiss your sorry ungrateful behind every day.

Make no mistake about it The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have volunteered to serve, and in many cases may have died for your freedom. There is currently no draft in this country They didn't have to go. They are able to refuse to go and end up with either a ''general'' discharge, an ''other than honorable'' discharge or, worst case scenario, a ''dishonorable'' discharge after a few days in the brig.

So why then the flat-out discontentment in the minds of 69 percent of Americans? Say what you want but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds

it leads and they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a car crash with blood and guts. How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the corner? The media knows this and media outlets are for-profit corporations. They offer what sells , and when criticized, try to defend their actions by "justifying" them in one way or another. Just ask why they tried to allow a murderer like O.J. Simpson to write a book about how he didn't kill his wife, but if he did he would have done it this way......Insane!

Stop buying the negativism you are fed everyday by the media. Shut off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage. Then start being grateful for all we have as a country. There is exponentially more good than bad.

We are among the most blessed people on Earth and should thank God several times a day, or at least be thankful and appreciative.

"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, "Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-17-2007, 05:46 PM
"No wonder the world loves the U.S. , yet has a great disdain for its citizens. "

Yep, it's a great big love in.... at this point you're competing with Iran and North Korea for the bottom.

LeeG
04-17-2007, 06:00 PM
yep, if it wasn't for the media we wouldn't be hearing about things like Blacksburg and Iraq all the time and we'd be happier. They don't talk about the good things at Blacksburg, only the bad things.

"Say what you want but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds
it leads and they specialize in bad news."

Damn, that's the problem, we're listening to too much bad news.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/YAT561119.htm

BAGHDAD, Feb 25 (Reuters) - A suicide bomber wearing a vest packed with explosives killed 40 people in a Baghdad college on Sunday, a day after Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki expressed optimism about a U.S.-backed security crackdown in the capital.

John of Phoenix
04-17-2007, 06:06 PM
You can fool some of the people all of time, etc.
That number seems to be about 30% of the population which still thinks dubya is doin’ a heckuva job.

But it's still dropping.

Tylerdurden
04-17-2007, 06:12 PM
"Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S. , yet has a great disdain for its citizens. "

Can you say Bull****? In my experience its the other way around.
And with all the toys and wonderful things that we have the article forgets to point out that we are not any happier.

Memphis Mike
04-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Yep, I'm extremely happy with my chicken in my pot. I just love the fact that crime is out of control and our kids are coming back in pine boxes from places like Iraq and Afganistan.

I wish there was something I could do to make the rich even richer than what they are now. I mean, I know they are going to share their wealth with me.

Bruce Hooke
04-17-2007, 06:20 PM
If all we concern ourselves with is whether there is a chicken in our pot and a roof over our head we are really missing the bigger picture that will determine our long term future. To suggest that we should only focus on the things that will have immediate and obvious impact on our personal lives is to suggest that most issues should be left to the political and business elites. This is both insulting to everyone else and anti-democratic.

It is not being a spoiled brat to be worried that our reputation has been greatly damaged around the world by Bush's mistakes on the international front.

It is not being a spoiled brat to be upset about the actions that have been taken in the name of our country in Gitmo, Iraq and elsewhere.

It is not being a spoiled brat to be concerned about Bush's lack of action on global warming and other environmental issues.

It is not being a spoiled brat to be upset over Bush's handling of Katrina.

It is not being a spoiled brat to be concerned about the huge deficit Bush has run up.

It is not being a spoiled brat to be concerned that Bush has made us less safe from terrorists rather than more safe.

It is not being a spoiled brat to be concerned about the increasing concentration of wealth in the hands of a few, and the influence that they wealthy can have on the political system.

And to suggest that any of the above opinions are simply media creations is extremely insulting and is basically an attempt to dismiss out of hand anyone who disagrees with the party line being put out by the Bush administration.

As I have said before on this board, anyone is welcome to put forward alternative viewpoints, but one viewpoint that I reject and that I'd hope anyone else who cares about democracy would reject is the viewpoint that the opinions of one group of people do not matter or are without a foundation in honest beliefs about what is right.

Tylerdurden
04-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Yada Yada Yada.

Y'all need to get a new song, or at least new lyrics.

If you're all so unhappy, why don't you do the right thing, and end it? Do us all a favor, and swallow the shotgun.

What a bunch of losers.:rolleyes:

Yeah Donn, spoken by a "real" (not) Vietnam Vet.

Bruce Hooke
04-17-2007, 06:25 PM
No wonder the world loves the U.S. , yet has a great disdain for its citizens.

From what I've seen, it is if anything the reverse. In one-on-one encounters most people seem to like Americans. What much of the world despises is how we have twisted ideals that the world respects into a country whose policies and actions a lot of people from other countries have great disdain for.

Tylerdurden
04-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks, hillbilly, but we don't need your help. The stats on households worth $5mil or more are up 23%. Life is sweet for the elite.:p

That statement shows what a true idiot you are. You are no where near elite, your just low rent to them. Elite never asks the price and doesn't need to. Your so tight it screams.

Tylerdurden
04-17-2007, 06:28 PM
I'm easy to find, Fight Club Boy.

You got the cash to spend mister elite, you can do the walking.

capt jake
04-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Stop buying the negativism you are fed everyday by the media.

Just, in this instance, it is the right wing BS being thrown out in the media. Trying to point the microscope in another direction rather really focus on the crap that this president is getting away with. Why it only took a short while to crucify Clinton for a sexual lapse in judgment and this one gets away with way worse is still beyond me.

Katherine
04-17-2007, 06:30 PM
If you don't like the situation you're in, why don't you do something to change it instead of spouting that things are so horrible?

Just because you have money doesn't mean you have class.:rolleyes:

Memphis Mike
04-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Thanks, hillbilly, but we don't need your help. The stats on households worth $5mil or more are up 23%. Life is sweet for the elite.:p

Your unhappiness shows on this forum everyday, You miserable P.O.S.

Rick Starr
04-17-2007, 06:43 PM
http://www.csun.edu/~vcpsy00h/images/jacknbox.gif

Memphis Mike
04-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Time for your meeting, Mikey?

TaTa!

That's right. I got a room full of friends that I could call anytime day or night for anything.

What do you have? A bottle of rot gut gin, the birdies and your computer?

Memphis Mike
04-17-2007, 06:56 PM
Nah..it's good gin. Pity you can't deal with it, but that's how things go, hillbilly. Some of us are adept, and some of you are not.

Must be hell to have to drink everyday to accept life as it is. I feel sorry for you.

S/V Laura Ellen
04-17-2007, 06:59 PM
I think Donn must be off his meds, someone want to see if you can find his pills and get him to take a hand full.

LeeG
04-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Mike,,why let him get to you?

Memphis Mike
04-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Mike,,why let him get to you?

You're right. He's not worth it.

BrianW
04-17-2007, 07:46 PM
What an ugly thread.

Phillip Allen
04-17-2007, 07:53 PM
I thought so myself Brian...

LeeG
04-17-2007, 07:53 PM
no kidding, it starts with poll data:
"The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the performance of the president. In essence 2/3s of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change."

then proceeds to say "So why then the flat-out discontentment in the minds of 69 percent of Americans? Say what you want but I blame it on the media."
"Stop buying the negativism you are fed everyday by the media. Shut off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage. Then start being grateful for all we have as a country. "

what an ugly justification for willful ignorance. Donn is frosting on the manure pile.

Phillip Allen
04-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Rather all-inclusive isn't it Donn

LeeG
04-17-2007, 08:20 PM
bad, bad media. They just don't tell the good stories.

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=28192

WASHINGTON, Oct. 31, 2003 – When Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld gives a speech, people listen. When he responds to people's questions, they really listen.
The secretary's formal remarks focused on the U.S.-led coalition's success in Iraq. He said the media's reports of "doom and gloom" don't tell the whole story. While U.S. and coalition forces in Iraq are dealing with a "difficult, dangerous and complicated" situation, there has been impressive progress and the nation should be proud of its accomplishments.

Too often, he said, news reporters have "the next question" in their minds "instead of listening to the answer that they're getting to the prior question, and then respond to that in a way that forces people to justify statements like those."

"When you walk down the street, the people come up and they are thankful," he said. "When you fly over in a helicopter, they come out in the courtyard and wave."

jack grebe
04-17-2007, 08:27 PM
"When you walk down the street, the people come up and they are thankful," he said. "When you fly over in a helicopter, they come out in the courtyard and wave."
yep....they're waving all right

Pistols:eek:

LeeG
04-17-2007, 09:09 PM
It's the medias fault.

One one hand you've got Rumsfeld micromanaging a battle plan for minimal up front labor cost then on the other hand a neocon columnist supporting the war plan decries the execution of a plan that REQUIRES deception and disinformation.

It's too confusing,,it's the medias fault.
Kristol:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A132-2004Dec14.html
Contrast the magnificent performance of our soldiers with the arrogant buck-passing of Rumsfeld. Begin with the rest of his answer to Spec. Thomas Wilson of the Tennessee Army National Guard:
In any case, decisions on troop levels in the American system of government are not made by any general or set of generals but by the civilian leadership of the war effort. Rumsfeld acknowledged this last week, after a fashion: "I mean, everyone likes to assign responsibility to the top person and I guess that's fine." Except he fails to take responsibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Kristol#Controversy_and_criticism
As were other neoconservatives, Kristol was a strong advocate of the Iraq war. In 2003, just as the Iraq War was starting, Kristol appeared on the National Public Radio show "Fresh Air" and made the following statement: "There's been a certain amount of pop sociology in America ... that the Shia can't get along with the Sunni and the Shia in Iraq just want to establish some kind of Islamic fundamentalist regime. There's almost no evidence of that at all. Iraq's always been very secular."

John of Phoenix
04-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Donn up yet?

http://health.uri.edu/healthed/hangover.gif

Keith Wilson
04-18-2007, 10:46 AM
The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the performance of the president. In essence 2/3s of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change. And then he goes on to make a bunch of utterly irrelevant statements about how good life is in the US. The first question is "the direction the country is headed". This has absolutely nothing to do with how good things are, but rather the direction of the trend. We could live in heaven, and the harps might not be getting tuned as often as previously, and the direction things are headed would be negative.

And yes, he's quite correct; Mr. Bush has not screwed things up so badly that we are starving, the fire departments and hospitals have stopped functioning, and there is civil war. I should approve of his performance because of that? Should we perhaps hold our presidents to a higher standard than "while he was in office, most of us stayed alive and the country didn't descend into chaos?" Did the author wrote a similar piece during the Clinton administration?

The article is fatuous nonsense.

Bruce Hooke
04-18-2007, 04:17 PM
I will say that the question about the "direction the country is headed" has always puzzled me. If someone were to ask me now, for example, I might say yes because I am glad the Congress is doing a better job of overseeing the executive branch and it looks like some of the Bush administration's excesses have been checked. However, it appears this might be interpreted by many as an endorsement of Bush, which would certainly not be my intention. In general I have a good bit of respect for the people who put together major surveys, but this question has always struck me as so vague as to be pretty much meaningless. I suspect that when most people answer it they are not answering the literal question of "the direction," but rather a more general question, which could range from "are you happy the political leadership of the country" to "do you think things are on average better or worse in the country than what you would consider the norm?"