PDA

View Full Version : Okay.. what is...

S.V. Airlie
04-16-2007, 10:32 AM
the best age to get married.? For those who ain't, those who would like to be, and for those who said.. big mistake.

Naw.. not in the running.. just curious.

Mrleft8
04-16-2007, 10:36 AM
the best age to get married.? For those who ain't, those who would like to be, and for those who said.. big mistake.

Naw.. not in the running.. just curious. Why not? It's legal in several states now yanno Jaime.....

TimH
04-16-2007, 10:36 AM
70 - 75

S.V. Airlie
04-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Doug.. tell that to MMike.. He keeps looking at his neighbors and umm..

Mrleft8
04-16-2007, 10:40 AM
MMike is a closet lesbian...

Leon m
24, still young enough to have babies,and mature enough to be a parent.

Kaa

Naw.. not in the running.. just curious.

Define marriage :D

Kaa

Phillip Allen
04-16-2007, 10:41 AM
It varies with how well oiled your roller skates are

Mrleft8
04-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Define marriage :D

Kaa

A hole in your head into which you pour money...

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-16-2007, 10:43 AM
Between 16 and 69 - kinda depends...

Phillip Allen
04-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Marriage is a system whereby a man rents to be owned...

Another One
04-16-2007, 10:45 AM
I got married at 23 - and have never regretted it, and thought at the time that we were all grown up and all. Now I look at pictures and think that we were just babies! Luckily, we got to finish growing up together.

I told my daughter she can't get married until she at least finishes medical school, maybe residency. What does that make her, about 32? :)

Uncle Duke
while (strokes.different() = folks.different())
{
marriage.IDo();
}

Wild Dingo
I was thinking for males not before 100 and for women never :cool: ... ooooh sweet blessed sanity ;) but then I got married at 26 {her at 21} so what do I know :rolleyes:

S.V. Airlie
04-16-2007, 10:48 AM
okay I admit.. so many people here have been devorced, remarried, devorced again.. etc. etc..
Just trying to get their input. It seems that in some cases.. the second, or third, or fourth is the charm.:rolleyes:

Phillip Allen
04-16-2007, 10:50 AM
married once and now free forever

S.V. Airlie
04-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Phillip.. I can understand that but ya know, Ish's post made me think. By not having anyone.. who is around to check when ya get old, perhaps infirm. Ish raised an issue that has always worried me.
So.. okay.. you and I are free but are we?

Now I know.. my siblings might call once every six months but that is a long time.

Phillip Allen
04-16-2007, 10:54 AM
My daughter and son both are in the process of building new houses...both with a extra room for me...in the horse barns... :)

S/V Laura Ellen
04-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Married once in '78. still married.
My wife, Jo, tells me I'm lucky.

Katherine
04-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Part of it depends on when you find someone that you want to marry. Being married is a lot of work and commitment and some people are never ready to face that.

As my father says: "Marriage is finding that one person you can annoy for the rest of your life."

S/V Laura Ellen
04-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Part of it depends on when you find someone that you want to marry. Being married is a lot of work and commitment and some people are never ready to face that.

As my father says: "Marriage is finding that one person you can annoy for the rest of your life."

He's talked to my wife hasn't he.:D:D:D

Uncle Duke
04-16-2007, 11:15 AM
In all seriousness, I first got married at 37. It will be the last time win, lose or draw. So far, so good.
Like most things, the extreme positions are probably poor choices - i.e., don't get married just to be married and don't stay single just to stay single. On the other hand, my personal opinion is that the second of those 2 extremes is better than the first.
My Dad always said: "Don't get married until you can both fight fair" - seems reasonable.

Katherine
04-16-2007, 11:16 AM
My parents are such an old married couple that it's pretty funny some days. After 37.5 years together, there's not a whole lot of mystery left.:D

I contemplate marriage, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Noah
04-16-2007, 11:22 AM
I met my Honey at age 21 (she was 20) and now 10 years later we are getting married. I figure the first 10 years were us growing up, figuring out who we were, and what we were going to do with our lives.

I'm very confident that this is a marriage that will last my lifetime.

Michael s/v Sannyasin
04-16-2007, 11:34 AM
maybe it is 12-14 (as in arranged marriages)

In countries where that is a recognized social custom, they seem to have decent luck with it. Maybe it sets expectations low enough, young enough ;-) And, if it doesn't work out, then you haven't lost too much time!

Nanoose
04-16-2007, 07:59 PM
26 was perfect for me....some time to do some growing up first....(yes, I said "some" :) :))

bamamick
04-16-2007, 07:59 PM
been a wonderful 25 years. Now, as the father of three daughters, I would honestly like to see them wait until they are at least 25. That way they can at least finish their undergrad stuff and work for awhile before getting married.

I used to say that anyone who wants to get married before the age of 25 should have to put up a marriage bond. That would make them think seriously before diving off into something that may be a mistake. Put up, say $5K. If they stay married for five years they get it back, with interest. I am not totally against divorce, but it is too darn easy to get these days, and too many kids get emotionally scarred after going into it with the attitude of 'hey, if it doesn't work we can just get a divorce'.

jmo Mickey Lake

Katherine
04-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Maybe arranged marriages done as a business agreement aren't a bad idea when both partners have substantial assets or liabilities. If nothing else, a full disclosure is on order. Maybe if the marriage started with a visit to the lawyer, it wouldn't end in one.

Phillip Allen
04-16-2007, 08:04 PM
I don't doubt for a moment that divorce is called for at times. I also believe that many, many of the divorces that happen are ultimately a selfish/childish act by one or both partners.

Katherine
04-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Since I only want to get married once, I've tried to be very careful about who I get involved with. Of course that's been known to backfire too.:rolleyes:

KNOCKABOUT
04-16-2007, 10:18 PM
I met my Honey at age 21 (she was 20) and now 10 years later we are getting married. I figure the first 10 years were us growing up, figuring out who we were, and what we were going to do with our lives.

I'm very confident that this is a marriage that will last my lifetime.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

LeeG
04-16-2007, 10:26 PM
the iron age

KNOCKABOUT
04-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Womins is crazy.

Phil Heffernan
04-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Marriage is a system whereby a man rents to be owned...

A cynic's view, but truth be told...I don't hold on to many romantic views these days...

We are so little prepared for the work needed to achieve our high expectations in the 'love' department...

Is 15 years all you can expect?

PH

WX
04-16-2007, 11:00 PM
I got married at 24, my wife was 17...we lasted about 4 years. Two beautful kids came out of it though.

Paul Girouard
04-16-2007, 11:04 PM
the best time to get married is once you both understand that love is not a feeling, but a commitment. If you get that at 16 then good on you, if you never get it, then don't!

I like that , I'm not sure thats how we , the wife and I did it but now 26 years later , that's a good way to put it.

I'm not sure when that happened or seemed to happen but ya I like the way that sounds.

Feelings are some thing you , well , feel , like hot , cold , love , hate , etc.

So when the feeling gets old , so does the love , maybe we seek the wrong thing when we "feel like we're in love"??

geeman
04-17-2007, 12:04 AM
I married the 1st time at age 16,yep, I said 16.I was in love or deep lust, take your pick.But I went into it understanding what I was doing and had no problem with being "one" with my wife forever.The problem was, SHE DIDNT SEE it that way.I did everything I could to save the marriage, just wasnt savable.My daughter was born 1o months to the day after we married.I had no problem with that either.I worshiped my daughter, AND her mother.Until she killed the marriage.Why did she insist on doing this? I really dont know.At the age of 20, I got a loan and had a house built for her,the papers were ready to be signed on my 21st birthday,the house building was timed to my birthday.Then I bought her a brand new car,brand new,1973 chevy, because she said our old car dragged down the driveway in our new home.
Then I bought her all new furniture for her new house,because she said the old furniture looked "ratty" in her new house.
I thought we were doing pretty good for our young age.
New house that belonged to us,and the bank of course.New car, new furniture. We owed money on all these things but we were having no problem with payments,no money problems at all.
All was well, except in her head.
Why do people do what they do? who knows sometimes,,,,

Paul Girouard
04-17-2007, 12:31 AM
So now we know you where 17:eek: :eek: when your first kid was born maybe 18 depends on your B-day.

No wonder you never answered on your thread about being a G-Ggranda :eek: Hoy vey gee:eek: What where you thinking?? Oh well , with the wrong head eh:D