PDA

View Full Version : Every once in a while

Phillip Allen
04-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Watching the History channel and a show about Annie Oakley...I just realized that my mother was 18 years old when Oakley died...history is compressed again

S.V. Airlie
04-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Let's see.. my grandmother was born in 1879...A few years after Custer's last stand...and she knew the last Czar.. had dinner at the Winter palace. Had her coming out party at the Winter Palace..
Yup.. compressed history.

Phillip Allen
04-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Little did I know or appreciate (at the time) but the grandfather whose knee I sat upon was born the same year Lee surrendered, Lincoln was killed and more...

elf
04-15-2007, 11:06 AM
My father was born 4 months after Brahms died about 75 miles further east.

Phillip Allen
04-15-2007, 11:08 AM
I think these bits of knowledge are fascinating...they take the mystery out of history

S.V. Airlie
04-15-2007, 11:12 AM
It does put history in perspective doesn't it?

paladin
04-15-2007, 11:19 AM
and the younger generation doesn't seem to care........:(

S.V. Airlie
04-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Ain't that the truth Chuck.. plugged in, tuned on, tuned out..:eek:

Leon m
04-15-2007, 11:33 AM
and the younger generation doesn't seem to care........:(

Oh we care ;) I've talked with old timers from Token Creek who still remember seeing Tee Pees set up in the clearings by the creeks when they were children, and an old farmer who remembers the last elk and wolves that roamed this far south, before electricity was available, and they still plowed with a horse team...

and when you think about stuff like that you relize how connected to history you really are.

and the good news Chuck...my kids are fascinated by these stories too...don't worry oldtimers...we wont forget ;)

Katherine
04-15-2007, 11:36 AM
I grew up on a farm that's now home to the 6th generation of my family. Real disconnected.:rolleyes:

Leon m
04-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Oh and another thing...My Father in law (a very old timer) has invested many years of teaching me the old ways (mostly hand tool stuff). On Thursday we will be taking down a tree with a Two Man Saw (isntead of a chainsaw), just because thats the way he wants to do it.

So rest assured oldtimers, If the power goes out , we will servive ! ;)

S.V. Airlie
04-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Leon.. there are always a few..who do care...nature of the game.
I remember.. about 35 yrs. ago, my father's cousin sold a.. umm.. family home.. fully furnished including family portraits... Okay, perhaps the Cherry Valley Massacre was no big deal but the portraits represented those survivors..
I wrote her and asked her how could she? She wrote back and said.. well her kids wouldn't be interested.. ages 10-16.
I've written the current owners.. the same ones and have asked them to let me know if they ever sell the house. I'll take the portraits.

Leon m
04-15-2007, 11:47 AM
She wrote back and said.. well her kids wouldn't be interested.. ages 10-16.

Thats a shame...At that age they never seem to care, but when they get older it seem to matter more, then they kick themselves in the backside.

S.V. Airlie
04-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Leon.. it is too bad... Not much I can do except try to retrieve them.
For the next generation.. etc...
At least I do know they have been well cared for...

Rick Starr
04-15-2007, 12:10 PM
Part of the trick is to instill the stories early. At least that's what we're trying to do with some of the incredible stories from our ancestors for our daughter. Fortunately we've been able to put a lot of them down in writing or on video.

S.V. Airlie
04-15-2007, 12:11 PM
That's the best way Rick...

botebum
04-15-2007, 12:29 PM
When Jack Kennedy was killed I was 11 days old and busy at Momma's breast when Dad called to say he'd just fallen off a ladder two stories up upon hearing the news. Mom hung up on him after telling him that his sick jokes had finally gone too far. She later apologized to him in the hospital.
I don't remember it but that bit of history is ingrained in me.
Who else will remember exactly where they were and what they were doing on the morning of Sept. 11, 2001? I'd wager all of us.

Doug

Wild Dingo
04-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Thats a shame...At that age they never seem to care, but when they get older it seem to matter more, then they kick themselves in the backside.

As her highness is just now realizing... she didnt seem to give a hoot about her family history until very recently when she was given a few interesting facts about her great great grandfather on her fathers side and started you know casually looking around for more information... this led to a bit of a journey to find info at the local library then to the geneology place in town to finally making me sit here and find out stuff for her... which I did till I got bored as hell with it and passed it on to Tiffany who got the same way fairly quickly with Lukas demanding her attention more and more as he grows and explores... so now she sits here researching the Vigers family tree

Bloody bunch of shipwrights undertakers and such unsavory types :rolleyes:

But by cripes its got her well and truely trapped!! I mean photos are arriving almost daily of family members paintings portraits family homes all over the world going back several centuries shes met and now spends more time on the net than I or the hoons ever did emailing all over the place!!

Interestingly she found out the other day that theres a Vigers Hall over in England somewhere built way back when such things were important :rolleyes: but for a few minutes even I considered that pretty cool :cool: And shes noticed as she goes back further and further how the name has changed over the years (from Vigours to Vigors to Vigers etc) and how the same families seem to be cropping up in marriages and the handing down of family names (whitehair seems to be a really old but common one in her mob) that sort of thing... and now shes heading of on her mothers side to explore the Hargraves from NZ and the Arney side of things... shes totally enthralled with it all

But see what Im getting at here? none of her other relies where even slightly interested in looking back and neither was she till now (shes 45) so imagine if the family had taken more care of the family hairloons over the years? Jo would be wrapt NOW but when she was young not in the slightest... well she was like me always interested in reading old headstones but thats different ;)

Bill R
04-15-2007, 02:32 PM
I have always been interested in history. SWMBO just got her BA in History and is working on her Masters currently. She is also a semi-professional geneologist and the official keeper of the family history. No apathy here.

Another One
04-16-2007, 10:55 AM
My husband's grandfather (whose given and middle names were "General Lee") used to tell stories about how Frank and Jesse James used the stream running through their property as a trail when they were moving back and forth on "business." They used to sleep in the family farm's barn on occasion, if it was too late in the day for them to get all the way to their destination. Grandpa used to insist that they were good boys, just caught in a difficult situation and trying to do the best they could.

My own grandfather used to tell me about hearing the news on the radio about the Wright Brother's flight at Kitty Hawk (his mother thought it had to be a hoax), and about farming with the help of German P.O.W. prisoners from the local prison camp. He said they were mostly good farm boys who were just as happy to be out of the war.

Jami

Phillip Allen
04-16-2007, 10:58 AM
I'll bet that last is true!