PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ship a skiff?

DavidF
04-14-2007, 12:18 PM
It is mid-April, I just did my taxes, the snow is a foot deep outside with another two feet forcast for tomorrow and today is the opening of trout season. Guess who isn't going fishing.
So got to dreaming, dreaming about camp cruising in the Keys in my Chesapeake Skiff and my son and plenty of fishing gear. But my boat is in Vermont and Florida is a long, long drive. So I got to thinking about shipping my skiff to Florida and we would fly down to meet it. Has anyone done this? How would you go about it? What would it cost?

I guess I can do the research but I'm feeling lazy (just did my taxes) and suspect your experience is the best research.
David

George Ray
04-14-2007, 12:25 PM
Put it on a trailer and I bet a car hauler would move it for a ??fair?? price. Have him drop it at a marina or a self storage place. IF it is small enough and has a great tongue wheel so 1 or 2 people can roll it around easily then it should be easy to arrange and not to expensive. You fly in rent a car and drive to the storage lot and hook it up.

Wild Dingo
04-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Or get them to drop it off at Margos... and when you pick it up you and the young fella could do some sanding on Sarah?? :cool:

Well heck thats what Id do :rolleyes:

johngsandusky
04-15-2007, 09:19 AM
I once looked into crating and trucking my canoe. Seems like the price was cheaper than the gas to drive it down. But in the end I cartopped it to Florida for a great vacation.

bamamick
04-15-2007, 06:08 PM
transport a boat is to advertise at your local sailing clubs in the early winter. A lot of sailors travel south for the winter and for the price of gas would probably be very happy to tow your boat. Key West Race Week. What used to be SORC (is it still SORC?). Dozens of one design regattas. Noah can probably help you, but surely someone from Burlington sailed in Florida this past winter. Think about it for next time.

Mickey Lake

Nick C
04-16-2007, 07:49 PM
Guys buy boats and ship them all the time. I bought a trailer from a guy that bought a 24' Pelican in Pennsylvania and shipped the whole shebang to Sacremento Calif. by rail. The trailer came with it and he didn't like it so I got it cheap.