PDA

View Full Version : I am back

Beach Party
04-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Hey guys, it won't be too long and I will be back at Myrtle Beach at my summer job and this is the year I am going to get that old cabin cruiser to liveaboard.

I cant wait to begin my days lying in the sun fishing off my back boat porch in between restaurant shifts. Hopefully you all are going to be able to help me keep her afloat at least till Labor Day!

S.V. Airlie
04-14-2007, 11:21 AM
sorry.. I mean we all have handles and forum names but for some of us, to take you seriously.. well. the name has to go. Sounds like some 17 yr. old who is away from home for the first time in his life.

S/V Laura Ellen
04-14-2007, 11:21 AM
It's like one of those recurring nightmares.:D

S.V. Airlie
04-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Sounds like he might be moving in next to Geeman or Mike...:eek::eek:

Paul Pless
04-14-2007, 11:24 AM
and this is the year I am going to get that old cabin cruiser to liveaboard.

Might be tough to find a Dutch built cabin cruiser in the Carolinas.

Beach Party
04-14-2007, 11:26 AM
Shore Party

One of the most serious problems encountered in early landing exercises was congestion on the beaches as men and supplies piled ashore. To keep such a situation reasonably in hand requires a high degree of control; control difficult to achieve under such circumstances, even when the enemy remains only simulated. Assault troops must push inland with all speed not only to expand the beachhead, but also to make room for following units and equipment to land and to provide space in which personnel assigned strictly beach functions can operate.
To solve this problem the Tentative Landing Operations Manual provided for a beach party, commanded by a naval officer called a beachmaster, and a shore party, a special task organization, commanded by an officer of the landing force. The beach party was assigned primarily naval functions, e.g., reconnaissance and marking of beaches, marking of hazards to navigation, control of boats, evacuation of casualties, and, in addition, the unloading of material of the landing force from the boats. The shore party was assigned such functions as control of stragglers and prisoners, selecting and marking of routes inland, movement of supplies and equipment off the beaches, and assignment of storage and bivouac areas in the vicinity of the beach. The composition and strength of the shore party were not set forth except for a statement that it would contain detachments from some or all of the following landing force units: medical, supply, working details, engineers,

Corpsman

S.V. Airlie
04-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Shore party is not Beach party... Make up your mind here...
Beach party to me is a bunch of 17-19 yr olds having a grand time twisting bottle tops off with their teeth.

botebum
04-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Hey guys, it won't be too long and I will be back at Myrtle Beach at my summer job and this is the year I am going to get that old cabin cruiser to liveaboard.

I cant wait to begin my days lying in the sun fishing off my back boat porch in between restaurant shifts. Hopefully you all are going to be able to help me keep her afloat at least till Labor Day!

Somebody forgot to check dockage costs and marina restrictions around here:rolleyes: Lostsa luck, youngun'. You're in for a world of reality checks.

Doug

S.V. Airlie
04-14-2007, 11:43 AM

Can't happen if you are lounging around fishing all day now can it? I mean... there is no such thing.. Boats need and take work. They are not gonna continue to float unless.. umm.. a little elbow grease, work,, etc.
Read your post Beach Party.

I realize I'm being hard on ya but you have to be realistic.

Robmill0605
04-14-2007, 01:12 PM
http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/i55.photobucket.com/albums/g148/robmill54/h2m_1.jpg?t=1176574165

Robmill0605
04-14-2007, 01:14 PM
{img}http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g148/robmill54/news_title.jpg?t=1176574456

S.V. Airlie
04-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Well Robmill.. that didn't work.. any comments from breach bumm.. I mean beach party?

Robmill0605
04-14-2007, 01:21 PM
yeah I know, I can't get the damn thing to do it.

botebum
04-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Well Robmill.. that didn't work.. any comments from breach bumm.. I mean beach party?
Do you have to make the youngun' sound like kin to me?
botebum---breach bumm. That just ain't nice:eek: Don't make me haunt you:D

Doug

Robmill0605
04-14-2007, 01:33 PM

well, get ready because if you pick up a mooring you need to think about getting to shore, docking your dingy, power, water.

AND, now that they are catching on to the liveaboard life most towns will want to see your proof of insurance.
That "cheap" ol' cabin cruiser?
The insurance company will want to see your survey, and without it, they not insure it.
If you find a dock they will want the same thing assuming that they will even let you liveaboard in a marina.
I lived aboard for 12 years so unless you are completely off the "radar"...
it's not so easy anymore.
Best of luck though.....

S.V. Airlie
04-14-2007, 01:36 PM
How many boats have a porch? If it does, is it a boat?
Now I can understand trasom.. stern.. but porch..
Hey I've gotta rocking chair.. Want to buy it?

Wild Dingo
04-14-2007, 01:37 PM
aaahh but Rod hes got this dream you see... life of a liveaboard easy life wake up in the mornin toss a line out catch his brekky toddle around the landscape checkin the chickybabes you know live the life of riley free and easy no worries no rent no outlays easy as... and there you go puttin the seed of doubt in his mushy stuff... sad eh? :D

Robmill0605
04-14-2007, 01:41 PM
It CAN be done mate, but ya gotta know the ropes ....he has to get off the grid and get away from prying eyes... and nosy constables.

Robmill0605
04-14-2007, 01:43 PM
read this if you want to see what your up against.......http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/images/icons/icon10.gif

http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=62303

Tom Montgomery
04-14-2007, 01:47 PM
How many boats have a porch? If it does, is it a boat?
Now I can understand trasom.. stern.. but porch..

I think this may be the sort of thing Dutch has in mind:

http://gpsinformation.net/exe/redneck-yacht-2.jpg

Beach Party
04-14-2007, 04:00 PM
I don't believe I have ever seen a larger group of wet blankets in my life. Is this what happens when you get old? It seems like I remember a poll I took here and the average age turned out to be about 60 years old. It can be done because I have a friend who did it a few years back. Maybe I wont be able to tie up in the fanciest marina in town, but plenty of people rent private docks and slip space around Myrtle in the sumer, so there ought to be a pretty good place to tie up somewhere. If worst comes to worst, I can always anchor out and get a little jet ski to comute on- after all I will be working in a waterfront restaurant again.

S.V. Airlie
04-14-2007, 04:04 PM
I can always anchor out and get a little jet ski to comute on-

You could get something that rows...:D Jet ski!!!!:eek:

S/V Laura Ellen
04-14-2007, 04:14 PM
I don't believe I have ever seen a larger group of wet blankets in my life. Is this what happens when you get old? It seems like I remember a poll I took here and the average age turned out to be about 60 years old. It can be done because I have a friend who did it a few years back. Maybe I wont be able to tie up in the fanciest marina in town, but plenty of people rent private docks and slip space around Myrtle in the sumer, so there ought to be a pretty good place to tie up somewhere. If worst comes to worst, I can always anchor out and get a little jet ski to comute on- after all I will be working in a waterfront restaurant again.

Go for it, but do it right and don't leave a mess for others to clean up. There has been a thread running recently about a formite living on a 27' boat. Do a search on it, it's good reading.
Let us know how it works out.

botebum
04-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Where exactly in Horry County is this safe little lagoon that you plan to anchor in? You want it to be so simple and yet it is not. I know this area, I live here, I fish here. If there is a place for you to do as you wish, enlighten me.
I'm not saying that what you want to do is impossible, impractible(sp?), but not impossible. But where? You seem to feel that you know it all... tell us...tell me, I know the area. I'd really like to know.

Doug

Nanoose
04-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Somebody forgot to check dockage costs and marina restrictions around here:rolleyes: Lostsa luck, youngun'. You're in for a world of reality checks.

Doug

Maybe he's planning on anchoring out?!

Bob Adams
04-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Um, guys, this is a repeat of last summer's thread. Don't you remember? We beat him to death then.

S/V Laura Ellen
04-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Um, guys, this is a repeat of last summer's thread. Don't you remember? We beat him to death then.
Yep, I remember. If he does it I just hope that he doesn't abandon the boat somewhere and cause more damage to the reputation of wooden boats among the marina operators.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-16-2007, 04:08 PM
fart

John B
04-16-2007, 04:37 PM
Hey beach, you never told us how the gasoline tanker date went.

http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=52532

Vince Brennan
04-16-2007, 07:12 PM
Hmmm.... sudden silence from the Dut.... I mean. Mr. Bum.

jack grebe
04-16-2007, 07:26 PM
ummmm, did he say jetski..............:eek: JETSKI..... WDF

S.V. Airlie
04-17-2007, 06:05 AM
Actually Jack.. I saw a hunter.. I think it was a hunter towing a jet ski one time. Funniest looking arrangement I have ever seen.:eek:

Beach Party
04-17-2007, 07:14 AM
I know a guy who uses a jet ski to pull his duck blind into place every year. It is kind of funny to see him in his camoflage and shot gun on the back of his purple jet ski.:D

S.V. Airlie
04-17-2007, 07:44 AM
Hunter! as in sailboat Beach... Ya know.. a puff boat!!:rolleyes: