PDA

View Full Version : John Steinbeck, Democratic Party Strategist

Osborne Russell
04-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Twas ever thus, apparently, but why?

Among the many distractions that fall was the presidential campaign, and Steinbeck had to live up to his promise to write some speeches. Alan Lerner called one day, asking that he write a speech for Kefauver, and Steinbeck agreed, drafting it overnight. Before long he was asked to write speeches for Stevenson himself, although by mid-October it was apparent the Democrats were going nowhere fast. Wherever one looked, the familiar smile of Dwight D. Eisenhower gleamed from posters and campaign buttons; “I like Ike” was the slogan of the day. Furious, Steinbeck blamed the ineffectiveness of the Democrats on “their failure to say things straight” and their refusal “to name names or face issues.” He found Stevenson’s refusal to dig in and fight depressing. “I wish to God they would let me write one violent fighting speech,” he said in a note to Elizabeth Otis near the end of the campaign.

Jay Parini, John Steinbeck: A Biography (1995) Henry Holt and Co., Inc. New York. P395-6

Ian McColgin
04-13-2007, 04:21 PM
Steinbeck was way to the left of most dems and he was a brilliant writer. Of course he'd be more inclined to a liberal. Anything new or sinister here? Anything different than George Will, except that Will was closer to the seat of power and far inferior as a writer and as a moralist?

Osborne Russell
04-13-2007, 06:05 PM
1. The Democrats fail to say things straight.
2. The Democrats refuse to name names or face issues.
3. The Democrats write no violent fighting speeches.

George Will and the Republicans do all three, if not always out of principle. But still they defeated the Democrats, with a monkey.

Surely there's some lesson to be drawn.

SamSam
04-13-2007, 08:20 PM
1. The Democrats fail to say things straight.
2. The Democrats refuse to name names or face issues.
3. The Democrats write no violent fighting speeches.

1 bull**** 2 bull**** 3 ??I was too young when everyone liked Ike. What was there to get fired up about anyway? Write a violent speech about what?George Will and the Republicans do all three, if not always out of principle. But still they defeated the Democrats, with a monkey.

Surely there's some lesson to be drawn.

People are stupid and are improving at it day by day.