PDA

View Full Version : Battery Recycler?

clancy
04-12-2007, 07:43 AM
I work for an electronic security company. We change a ton of batteries in various controls and devices each month. The larger rechargeable ones we have no problem getting rid of. A local recycler picks up a pallet load from us every 2 weeks. The smaller batteries are a problem. We have 9 volt, AA, AAA and similar size ones that no one wants. How does one go about getting rid of batteries in this size range?

brad9798
04-12-2007, 07:49 AM
Batteries Plus stores recycle ...

Also, many municipalities have programs for this ... fire stations too ...

capt jake
04-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Batteries Plus stores recycle ...

Also, many municipalities have programs for this ... fire stations too ...

Don't start that "Fire Stations do it all slogan". ;) At least in our State, we do not. ;) Oh, we don't do cats in trees either. ;)

Batteries Plus will, but I try to by my product there also.

High C
04-12-2007, 10:21 AM
...We have 9 volt, AA, AAA and similar size ones that no one wants. How does one go about getting rid of batteries in this size range?

You have to store those onsite forever, like nuclear waste and old cans of paint. ;)

Kevin G
04-12-2007, 10:40 AM
In our area, the local Water Authority runs a monthly "Haz-Mat" recycle program during the warm months. They will take them. Check your area for a similiar program.

kg

Bert Langley
04-12-2007, 11:19 AM
You can find New Jersey battery recyclers here:

http://newjersey.earth911.org/master.asp?s=lib&a=electronics/bat_index.asp

Frank Wentzel
04-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Standard batteries contain the heavy metals zinc and manganese. However a check of your vitamin/mineral supplements or the back of a fertilizer bag will reveal that these are both necessary trace elements and both you and your garden, in most cases, need more of them. There is negligible environmental impact from normal disposal methods for these items. Some cities do have recycling programs for these batteries but they are expensive and have no environmental benefit. It is not economically possible to recover the zinc and manganese for reuse and the small amount of steel incorporated in the battery is not economically recoverable. Several years ago, when I operated a county recycling/household hazardous waste program I was quoted a price of $2.00/lb to recycle zinc/manganese batteries.

Some special purpose lithium batteries (military types mostly) have dangerous materials in them but non-rechargeable lithium batteries that are sold for consumer use are also benign.

The batteries that need recycling are lead acid, which when I last looked were 97% recycled, and nickel based rechargeable batteries. You can recycle automotive and marine batteries at battery dealers as well as recycling centers. Small rechargeable (power tool) batteries can be recycled through RBRC (see below) at all the big-box stores, radio shack and most other major electronic and consumer retailers.

The Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation provides free (i.e., paid for by battery manufacturers) recycling for nickel-cadmium, nickel- metal hydride, lithium ion and small sealed lead-acid batteries. To find additional recycling sites go to their website

http://www.rbrc.org/call2recycle/corporate/index.html

/// Frank ///