PDA

View Full Version : Statement of Vaclav Klaus

Alan D. Hyde
04-11-2007, 12:27 PM
A quote from Vaclav Klaus, President of the Czech Republic, in the Czech daily HospodŠřskť Noviny, 8 February 2007 (translation Lubos Motl)

Global warming is a myth and every serious person and scientist says so. It is not fair to refer to the U.N. panel. IPCC is not a scientific institution: itís a political body, a sort of non-government organization of green flavor. Itís neither a forum of neutral scientists nor a balanced group of scientists. These people are politicized scientists who arrive there with a one-sided opinion and a one-sided assignment. Also, itís an undignified slapstick that people donít wait for the full report in May 2007 but instead respond, in such a serious way, to the summary for policymakers where all the ďbutísĒ are scratched, removed, and replaced by oversimplified theses.

This is clearly such an incredible failure of so many people, from journalists to politicians. If the European Commission is instantly going to buy such a trick, we have another very good reason to think that the countries themselves, not the Commission, should be deciding about similar issues.

[...] Other top-level politicians do not express their global warming doubts because a whip of political correctness strangles their voice. [...] Environmentalism as a metaphysical ideology and as a worldview has absolutely nothing to do with natural sciences or with the climate. Sadly, it has nothing to do with social sciences either. Still, it is becoming fashionable and this fact scares me. [...] Indeed, I never measure the thickness of ice in Antarctica. I really don't know how to do it and donít plan to learn it. However, as a scientifically oriented person, I know how to read science reports about these questions, for example about ice in Antarctica. I donít have to be a climate scientist myself to read them. And inside the papers I have read, the conclusions we may see in the media simply donít appear. But let me promise you something: this topic troubles me which is why I started to write an article about it last Christmas. The article expanded and became a book. In a couple of months, it will be published. One chapter out of seven will organize my opinions about the climate change.

[...] It is not quite exactly divided to the left-wingers and right-wingers. Nevertheless itís obvious that environmentalism is a new incarnation of modern leftism. [...] [W]e know that there exists a huge correlation between the care we give to the environment on one side and the wealth and technological prowess on the other side. Itís clear that the poorer the society is, the more brutally it behaves with respect to Nature, and vice versa.

Itís also true that there exist social systems that are damaging Nature - by eliminating private ownership and similar things - much more than the freer societies. These tendencies become important in the long run. They unambiguously imply that today, on February 8th, 2007, Nature is protected uncomparably more than on February 8th ten years ago or fifty years ago or one hundred years ago.

The will to power of would-be tyrants is unchanged over all the millenia of human history; only their excuses vary.

Alan

Memphis Mike
04-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Good to see ya Alan. Your article is of course total horse**** but good to see ya, anyhow.:)

Keith Wilson
04-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Global warming is a myth and every serious person and scientist says so.LOL! What a fellow. He's entitled to his opinion, I guess, but the second part of this statement is absolutely false. Your dislike of some proposed solutions does NOT mean the problem is imaginary, or that those bringing it up are would-be tyrants.

I have asked you this several times over the years as a challenge to Libertarian ideas and you've never really addressed it: Let us assume that warming caused by CO2 emissions is real and will cause really serious problems for human civilization. Is there any way absent some kind of governmental regulation to deal with it?

pcford
04-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Typical post from Mr. Hyde. Not one fact. Total posturing.

No fatuous Latin quotes this time though. I doubt this will be a trend though.

Oh, still believe that the bad news from Iraq is a left-wing conspiracy, Alan?

Exotic flora and fauna one finds in the bilge.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Hello Alan,

Nice to hear from you.

However, I feel duty bound to point out that the current President of Togo, Faure Gnassingbe, shares President Klaus's unease about the UN's scientific credentials; he has ordered the World Health Organisation out of his country because they expressed doubts about the efficacy of his herbal cure for AIDS.

The rest of us will just follow the herd in the scientific mainstream.

Incidentally, may I particularly commend to you Jeffrey Sachs' Reith Lecture today?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/reith2007/lecture1.shtml

All the best,

Andrew

ljb5
04-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Alan, I believe there once was a time when you sought to be taken seriously.

When you posted that fake research from a phony institute in Oregon, I thought you had been duped.

Now, it just appears that your credibility is no longer a concern to you.

TomF
04-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Nice to see you Alan, but I wish you'd not posted that.

I can probably follow up with a statement from the South African president that the transmission of HIV/AIDS has nothing to do with sex.

t

Vince Brennan
04-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Geesh. I dunno Alan at all, but I'm that suprized that ANY rational person could seriously post that drivel as an argument and have it regarded as anything other than a troll.

The President of the Czech Republic? Who next, Bart the tire guy from the filling station?

martin schulz
04-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Ok then. No EU membership for the Czech Republic in the near future, I guess.

They are already "in"?
Fcuk, when will we learn to question those backward-orientated countries better?

This is clearly such an incredible failure of so many people, from journalists to politicians. If the European Commission is instantly going to buy such a trick, we have another very good reason to think that the countries themselves, not the Commission, should be deciding about similar issues.

Again someone who still hasn't grasped the concept of the EU.

Bruce Taylor
04-11-2007, 02:25 PM
When you run out of ammunition, you throw rocks. When the rocks are gone, you throw clumps of mud, horse chestnuts, your hat, your shoes, your loose change -- whatever falls to hand. When you have nothing to throw but sand, you throw that (and the wind, as Blake said, "throws it back again"). Eventually, there is nothing to do but stand naked in the dust and hop up and down and shake your fist and shout. Vaclav Klaus, a man of impressive accomplishments in fields unrelated to climate science, seems to have reached that point.

Note that Alan hasn't explicitly endorsed the Czech President's strange speech. I imagine he's just curious to see how we respond to it.

ljb5
04-11-2007, 02:40 PM
We have another very good reason to think that the countries themselves, not the Commission, should be deciding about similar issues.

I suspect this is at the heart of his true feelings.

Czech likes being in the EU for some things such as trade relations, but wants a little more wiggle room for other issues such as industrial controls.

This doesn't have anything to do with science, it's just that Czech wants to use it large, cheap labor force to manufacture stuff for the EU without any restrictions.

It's States' Rights for the new millennium -- "Give me your trade, but not your morals."

Leon m
04-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Facts schmacts...The plain truth is that we are plowing under more nature and producing more pollution every day and that is not in balance with nature (you know, the stuff we and our planet are made of)...and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that it will soon bite us on the backside.

So you can argue the fine pionts till the end of time (wich will probably be sooner than later), but 2+2 will always = 4.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
04-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Great to see you Alan.
Always a pleasure to hear your opinionated opinion.
Where ya been?

Cuyahoga Chuck
04-11-2007, 04:39 PM
Dobry den', pan Hyde.
Hovorit' po C'esky?
Jsem Kujahoga Karel.

Kujahoga Karel knows something about politics in that part of the country. Those folks have a lot of political parties that all pull in different directions which encourages politicians who want to come to the top to say almost anything. When push comes to shove the truth is not in them. It is not that they are craven but that political instutions there are rather weak and political power can be fleeting. They'll deny the sun came up to stay in power.
In this case I suspect Klaus took this extremist view because he was engulfed in some political beef. It may be internal or it may come from the European Parliment which is a bit "greener" than the guys who control Czechia.
The country is heavily industrialized and was noted for having some of the most polluted sites in the Communist world.
One town had such foul air the sun looked brown and the inhabitans, particularly children, were given numerous state sponsed "vactions". The vacationers spent a lot of time trying to scrub the dirt off and, it was hoped, the pristine air would increase the survival rate so that they could continue to man the industry that was poisoning their town. The place was so bad it got a write up in National Geo.
The first and most honored president of the Czech Republic was Vaclav Havel. He is a first water intellectual and it would be interesting to see if he made a reply to Klaus.

ahoj!
Kujahoga Karel

John of Phoenix
04-11-2007, 05:50 PM
:D LMAO :D

As usual.

Harry Miller
04-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Hi Alan.
A couple of years ago I suggested that Milton Friedman was paying you for each of your posts here. With his death and your absence I thought I might even be right. :D
What's the exchange rate for czech korunas?

Alan D. Hyde
04-13-2007, 01:18 PM
"Note that Alan hasn't explicitly endorsed the Czech President's strange speech. I imagine he's just curious to see how we respond to it." Bruce

Thank you, Bruce.

Hello to all and thanks for the greetings. I'm still hard at work (WMAO) but will try to pop in occasionally.

Best,

Alan

huisjen
04-13-2007, 01:26 PM
hogwash

huisjen
04-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Here ya go, Alan:

The loudspeaker spoke up and said ...

Christianity is stupid. Christianity is stupid.
Christianity's stupid. Christianity is stupid.

Communism is good. Communism is good.
Communism is good. Communism is good. (Did you hear that?)

Give up. (Did you hear that?)
Give up. Give up. Give up! Give up!

Give up. Give up. Give up. (Communism is good.)
(Communism is good.)
Christianity's stupid. (Communism is good.)
Christianity's stupid. (Communism is good.)
(Give up.)
Communism is good. (Christianity's stupid.)
Communism is good. (Christianity's stupid.)
Give up. Give up. Give up.

From 5:00 in the morning till 10:00 at night! (Give up! Give up!)
From 5:00 in the morning till 10:00 at night! (Give up. Give up.
Give up.)
From 5:00 in the morning till 10:00 at night! (Communism is good.)

Christianity is stupid. Christianity is stupid. (Communism is good.)
Christianity's stupid. Christianity is stupid. (Communism is good.)

(Give up! Give up! Give up! Give up! Give up!)

... stupid. stupid. (From 5:00 in the morning till 10:00 at night!)

Communism is good. (Give up! ...) Christianity is stupid.
Christianity's stupid. (Give up! Give up!) Communism is good.

(Give up! Give up! IYIYIYIYIYI ...)

Seventeen hours a day! Give up! Give up! Give up! ...

Shop as usual.

And avoid panic buying