PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Router ???

brad9798
04-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Got a new HP laptop ... with wireless ... so got a wireless router Tuesday. Cysco Linksys ... 2.4 gHz.

WOW ... the installation has come a long way for peripperals ... literally just push a button and it does the rest.

Anyway, my question is this:

How can I print wirelessly? Is there an attachment I need for the printer to make it wireless? The printer is a Brother MFC scanner/fax/printer/copier ...

Brad

brad9798
04-11-2007, 09:40 AM
cool, thanks ... I was thinking along those lines ... but wanted some confirmation. Thanks, Norman!!

ccmanuals
04-11-2007, 12:22 PM
I bought one of these a couple of months ago. Works great!

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wireless/ss/wirelessgear_4.htm

brad9798
04-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Linksys is great ... my router is linksys ... I will try it.

Thanks.

High C
04-11-2007, 07:51 PM
You don't need to buy anything to print wirelessly. Just go to the Add a Printer wizard, and follow the prompts to add a network printer that you will find on whatever computer on your network has a printer installed. You may first have to go into the printer settings on that 'puter and "share" the printer.

It's not hard to figure out.

hansp77
04-11-2007, 10:48 PM
You don't need to buy anything to print wirelessly. Just go to the Add a Printer wizard, and follow the prompts to add a network printer that you will find on whatever computer on your network has a printer installed. You may first have to go into the printer settings on that 'puter and "share" the printer.

It's not hard to figure out.

I agree with what High C said, so long as your printer and your router can be in the same place, you just plug your router into the printer, and work out the details.

brad9798
04-11-2007, 10:49 PM
But if there is no wire running to the printer from the router, then it is not possible ... ????

My printer, although really cool ;) , does not have wireless built in ...

What do you mean????

High C
04-11-2007, 10:57 PM
But if there is no wire running to the printer from the router, then it is not possible ... ????

My printer, although really cool ;) , does not have wireless built in ...

What do you mean????

Hans was talking about something a little different than I was.

Do you have a wired computer on the network that has a printer installed on it? If so, open the "add a printer" wizard on the wireless computer, and have it scan the network to find that printer. If it finds it, installation is pretty intuitive.

First be sure that printer is set to be shared on the computer to which it is installed.

brad9798
04-12-2007, 07:54 AM
Okay, I get it now ...

Yes, one is wired to the (wireless) router ... mine is not!!