PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is wrong with America (movies)?

bamamick
04-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Now that Lent is over I can buy movies again. I was strolling through the movie sections at Target and Wallyworld and the number of movies featuring people getting chopped into bits is truly astounding. At least Target has an Indie section (I wound up with 'Copying Beethoven'). Is it that the clientele of your average WalMart just WANTS to see people chopped into bits with different kitchen appliances or construction tools, or is it America in general? Are these the movies featured for sale where you live?

Horrible. And disturbing.

Mickey Lake

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
04-10-2007, 09:07 PM
I agree Mick.
I'm more into comedy......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBnY28Mo6Is&mode=related&search=

LeeG
04-10-2007, 09:33 PM
the previews at the movie theaters are featuring lots of blood and gore horror flicks,,as opposed to fun blood and gore flicks like 300 or Grindhouse.

Leon m
04-10-2007, 09:39 PM
I hear ya Mickey, I can't remember the last time a movie came out that I actually wanted to see.And it's not just the theatres...Look at the garbage thats on TV... I don't get it.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
04-10-2007, 09:40 PM
I like the old B&W 3 Stooges movies better.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cua4N0LlrCs

Vince Brennan
04-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Way back when ( like 1980) I used to be able to walk into our local bookstore and find real science-fiction (Niven, Kim Robinson, Dick, etc...) but I recently went in and there were three (what I'd consider) science-fiction books and the rest of the section was all fantasy stuff.

Seems a similar paradigm shift has occured in movies (which I rarely watch).... I looked around and sure enough, slasher/zombie/blood-n-guts and their bretheren (Transporter, etc.) seem to have taken over.

Is it the invasion of the mod people?

LeeG
04-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Vince, I noticed that in the last ten years as well. Kind of bothered me.

Rick Starr
04-10-2007, 09:50 PM
One of my oldest rants. Why are emotional movies 'lame'? Why are sensual movies taboo? Why is violence the coin of the realm? George Carlin did a funny bit about replacing the word 'kill' in movies with the one that starts with 'f'- which makes for some pretty radical plot shifts.

I don't understand why, of all our deepest drives, violence--the one most visibly going obsolete, is the one we pander to the most, to the exclusion of all others. Anyone who has experienced the sort of Aristotelian catharsis (that drove early drama) in a movie knows that it's a much better sell.

Did you know that according to the unities and tradition of Greek drama, no violence was to take place on the stage at all? Hollywood would do well to read up on Aeschylus, Sophocles and most importantly Euripides. 2500 years is a LOT of box office staying power.

So, speaking of catharsis(ok, empathy),I feel your pain, Mickey.

WX
04-10-2007, 10:01 PM
ocal bookstore and find real science-fiction (Niven, Kim Robinson,
Try Ben Bova, Alistair Reynolds
AS for American movies...what's wrong with them? You mean apart from the fact that they very rarely depart from tried and true formulas?

Cuyahoga Chuck
04-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Sorry, Mick, but, they don't make movies for you. Movies are made for certain demographics like men and boys 14-18, 18-25, and like that. If you can find people with a lower level of culture than men of those age groups I'd like to know who they are.
Ya' gotta' face it. Young Americans crowd around sex, gore and toilet bowl humor. That is, until they have children of their own. They become instantaneous Puritans once their kids do what they did.

Phil Heffernan
04-10-2007, 10:55 PM
I loved Sin City...:D

PH

WX
04-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Boylesboats, Have you seen Wolf Creek?
I haven't and have no desire to.

WX
04-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Well, I've never heard anybody have that reaction to it...most have found it disturbing or downright scary.

PatCox
04-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Anyone remember the old SCTV skit, "The Farm Film Report?" The reviewers only comment on anything they reviewed was "It got blowed up. It got blowed up real good."

brad9798
04-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Nothing to do with WALMART shoppers ... it's what was/is hot at the box office that drives video sales.

I'll still take TITANIC over most movies!!

Bob Adams
04-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Nothing to do with WALMART shoppers ... it's what was/is hot at the box office that drives video sales.

I'll still take TITANIC over most movies!!

Of course, the people shopping at your beloved Wal Mart could be nothing less than tasteful!

bamamick
04-12-2007, 02:15 PM
because where I live those stores sell more movies than do Circuit City or Best Buy. WalMart probably sells more movies than does anyone else, wouldn't you say?

Mickey Lake

geeman
04-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Recently , I have been drawn to the western tv channels and have been watching the very old cowboy movies I enjoyed as a kid.
Gene Autry,Roy Rogers,The Rifleman,and so on.
I enjoy being taken back to my younger years,when I had such fun watching all those old movies.
I do not like horror movies,, never did.Since the pickins is so slim now with the trash coming out of Hollywood,I'll just enjoy the old stuff.

huisjen
04-12-2007, 03:43 PM
I saw "The Persuit of HappyNess" over the weekend. That was scary.

Dan

brad9798
04-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Whatever Bob Adams ... read my damned posts ... I'm no WM fan ... if you don't think that box office drives video sales, then you are less than sharp.

Relax, Bob ... get over yourself.

PatCox
04-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, and John Wayne, they had six-shooters and occasionally shot a bad guy. But only when pushed, and the movies allways made clear that it was forced on them as a last resort, and they always regretted the need to have done it.

Modern "heros," usually bigoted sadists, enjoy the carnage, revel in it, shoot first, and don't even bother to ask questions later. Like the soldier in Iraq who shot a civilian woman at the bridge in Ramadi and said, on camera, with no shame, "the bitch got in the way."

Oour culture is sick. We have lost our honor. Honor requires using deadly force only as a last resort, and with regret. Anything else is sociopathy. Fascism.

Phillip Allen
04-13-2007, 06:51 AM
Have you read the thread about firing senior employees and hiring new cheaper ones? This is done with short term gain and ease of overhead costs. The movie industry is just as susceptible to this line of avarice. The easiest set of people to sell cow poop to is probably mid-teen to about 30 years old. Targeting this set keeps costs down...including political campaigns (why do you think the voting age was lowered)

Folks, this isn't just cynicism...it's direct observation!

Think about it!

mister_moon
04-13-2007, 07:50 AM
I read an interview with Quentin Taratino where he was asked about the why horror movies do so well:

It seems like "Grindhouse" is arriving at an ideal time—horror movies are doing incredible business, and there's no sign of it slowing down. What do you think is driving this trend?
It hasn't happened in a while, but every now and then, there's a wave of them. This one has really been brewing for about six years now, and it started with ultragory movies that were coming out of Japan, by guys like Takeshi Miike, movies like "Battle Royale." What's changed this time is that the mainstream audience is absolutely loving it. There was a time when that kind of extreme violence was the thing that would stop a movie from being mainstream. If you did that kind of gore, you were putting your movie in a little box. Now it's totally different. Back when Robert and I did "From Dusk Till Dawn," the studio would've sent us to our rooms without dinner if we even uttered the word "horror." They wanted to say "thriller" or "roller coaster." Their notion was that "thriller" or "science fiction" was commercial. Horror wasn't. But now? It's horror, horror, horror. A little $6 million horror film beats some $150 million studio blockbuster on opening weekend.

It has to do with return on investment. Apparently horror sells really well and isn't that costly to produce. Lower risk, greater return, therefore the studios produce more. I don't watch those kinds of movies myself, but enough do to encourage more being made.

Landrith
04-14-2007, 10:55 AM
I had to kill some time and saw the movie Breach starring our Woodenboat reader Chris Cooper playing Robert Philip Hanssen an FBI turncoat. It made me really question some of my ideas about being a citizen and the power of the state. I wondered how it even got filmed given today's movies. And, it was very good in a The Spy Who Came in From The Cold way. Hopefully cable and satelite are creating a demand for more meaningful serious films.

CAPNBIL
04-14-2007, 04:23 PM
Gave up on film and TV long ago, rediscovered reading. Try
"The Rise and Fall of Alexandria". A look at Ancient Greece and Egypt that is a really refreshing view of Ancient History. It's truly remarkable that those learned philosophers uncovered truths about planet earth, mathematics, physics, and engineering, that later became lost and were not rediscovered for over a thousand years.
CAPNBIL

ishmael
04-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Film is both subject to and a former of popular images. Always has been. The money, as in any industry or artform, is one of the central concerns. It still takes a fair amount of scratch to make a feature film, though it's changing with digital technology.

I have no objection to cheesy horror flicks. I don't like to watch them because my heart doesn't like them. LOL You know you're being goofed, you go to be startled. What I object to, and it started with Peckinpaw, is a quasi-reality created by film, in which characters who aren't quite cartoon, yet aren't quite unreal do dastardly and often really gory things to each other. This is where the psyche, especially the adolescent psyche, begins to blur the line and can be sucked up by the image. IMHO.

Walking out with my groceries today I ran across a car with the following bumper stickers:

F%&k you! I don't care what you think! And...

I f%cked your girlfriend!

Some political cadres are fond of ignoring that we've declined in our civil morals, our glue which holds us together. I point to those bumper stickers to say, yes, we have.

I was tempted, for just a moment, to stick around and see who returned to that car, perhaps confront them and ask them to remove what is just ugly. Didn't. What's the point?

Com'on folks, mind, idea, consciousness is what holds human civility together. When we give in to such as I mentioned, we're surrendering.