PDA

View Full Version : I**s In The *orning

rbgarr
04-10-2007, 02:07 AM
*i**y the Greek lost his *ob for abo*t the sa*e thing, why not this g*y? Too pop*lar?

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
04-10-2007, 02:17 AM
What's with all the *? At first I thought your U button was busted and * was a replacement but you seem to scatter them freely, like daisies in the breeze, you undisciplined hippy!:D

I think it's because Imus is in the habit of offending all stripes, so perhaps it doesn't look like he is singling out any single group. Not sure, I don't listen to him. Sort of like Dirty Harry; "Harry's not prejudiced. He hates everybody."

BrianW
04-10-2007, 06:20 AM
Racial slurs are of course bad, but given the fact his were directed at a specific group of girls, this one was worse.

General racist statements are mostly a sign of stupidity, and can be dismissed when considering most sources.

Direct insults are not to be taken as lightly.

That said, I'm sure his degrading comments don't even come close to things you might hear in many rap songs. So there is some bit of inequality in the fact that a black man can get rich saying the same things that might ruin a white man.

S.V. Airlie
04-10-2007, 06:29 AM
It's interesting.. I am not even sure why I sat down in front of the telly on Sunday.. Not usual as I don't watch it very often.
I watched all of those Shirly Temple movies.. The old ones...
It was sim. to reading To Kill A Mockingbird...same idea.
Amazing what was accepted back in the 40's and 50's which is now considered incorrect politically. But, that is the way it is.. If a Temple movie came out today.. it would be shot down faster than you can spit.

ps.. I did not hear the initial blast spoken by Imus.. Only his apologies..
Needless to say, I have heard worse on the streets and certainly worse when I taught in the ghettoes of Houston..

Osborne Russell
04-10-2007, 12:31 PM
That said, I'm sure his degrading comments don't even come close to things you might hear in many rap songs. So there is some bit of inequality in the fact that a black man can get rich saying the same things that might ruin a white man.

To put it mildly. Without the putrifying influence of contemporary African American popular culture, he would not have spoken so in the first place. Where oh where did he get the idea that it would raise no serious objection? From the fact that far worse has raised no serious objecton?

High C
04-10-2007, 12:37 PM
*i**y the Greek lost his *ob for abo*t the sa*e thing, why not this g*y? Too pop*lar?

Joe Biden got to keep his job.

S.V. Airlie
04-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Heck, it is keeping the media happy. Checked a few news stations.. Got the entire line up of the woman's team... oh and the coach of course.
They could not ask for more publicity even if they won a game..
Lordy lordy, the media idiots are obviously worth their salaries. Must be a quiet day.. Gotta hyp something.

John of Phoenix
04-10-2007, 02:43 PM
He called the Rutgers womens' basketball team "Nappy headed hos."?

Whoa, man - what happened to this guy?

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2007/04/09/PH2007040901101.jpg

Bob Cleek
04-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Well, ARE they?

mariner2k
04-10-2007, 05:07 PM
No doubt about it,it was a very offensive statement. I listen to the show frequently and from time to time he makes me sit up straight. He often pushes the envelope, but went too far this time. Sometimes I don't see the humor in his insults. Do I think he should be fired? No. Is a sincere apology in order?...you bet. He may have a history of pushing the envelope, but he has no real history of racism. In fact it has been quite the opposite...and he has done a awful lot of good, which I do think should be taken into account. (I can't believe I'm defending him. I like his show but not him neccessarily). His statement will follow him the rest of his life. The thing that bothers me also, is the two most vocal opponents of his. The Reverend Al and Jesse Jackson. In my mind they are two of the most hippicritical and unapologetic men alive. Those two have no credibility with me. I think Imus should apologize to the team and straighten out his act, but I wouldn't give those two the time of day. Who appointed them the leaders of Black America?

Hwyl
04-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Well, ARE they?

Well you're in that profession, perhaps you should decide. Given your prejudice in the past however. That opinion would be about as useless as the rest of your pathetic comments.

Kim Whitmyre
04-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Well, ARE they?

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2007-04/28951105.jpg

Bob, I hope you are kidding.

John of Phoenix
04-10-2007, 06:30 PM
I suspect the only thing that bothers Imus about this is that Stern is laughing at him.

Even Howard Stern of Sirius Satellite Radio, a big fan of unrestricted content, weighed in, mocking Imus' apology, according to the New York Daily News. "He's apologizing like a guy who got his first broadcasting job," Stern said. "He should have said, '(expletive) you, it's a joke.' "

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
04-10-2007, 06:38 PM
People who talk **** usually end up with it all over their face.
Just another example.

PatCox
04-10-2007, 09:44 PM
They are athletes, and as much as they push retards through in the male sports, I'd bet a lot that this is not so much the case with the women. They took a program that wasn't much to speak of and played in the national title game. If I were the father of one of these girls, a college student, a world class athlete, coming one game from achieving the national championship, and probably from less than privileged homes and overcoming a lot to achieve all this, I would be damn proud. And if I had the chance, I would bust that ass Imus in the nose. This wasn't just a general slur made in a humorous way, it was a direct attack on a group of young girls, for no other reason than their race. Shame on him. What would you all think if he said that about your 19 year old daughter?

hokiefan
04-11-2007, 10:55 AM
They are athletes, and as much as they push retards through in the male sports, I'd bet a lot that this is not so much the case with the women. They took a program that wasn't much to speak of and played in the national title game. If I were the father of one of these girls, a college student, a world class athlete, coming one game from achieving the national championship, and probably from less than privileged homes and overcoming a lot to achieve all this, I would be damn proud. And if I had the chance, I would bust that ass Imus in the nose. This wasn't just a general slur made in a humorous way, it was a direct attack on a group of young girls, for no other reason than their race. Shame on him. What would you all think if he said that about your 19 year old daughter?

You are right Pat. Other than football and men's basketball, almost every college athlete is a student first. To be a full time college student and compete at the level these girls did is a remarkable accomplishment, one they and their families should be extremely proud of. Don "s***head" Imus should be fired summarily, immediately after every parent got a shot at him with a baseball bat. What an *ss!

Bobby

S.V. Airlie
04-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Bobby.. You have it backwards.. An Athlete first and then a student.
That is the way it works..
Now... how many athletes are accepted at college based on skills and not grades?
How many athletes are tutored for free.
How many athletes after winning an Basketball championship and give up college to go into the pros.
Nope, you have it backwards.. Colleges/universities will bend over backwards to keep a star athlete on a team...
How many coaches with a few championships under his belt makes probably five times the amount as a Professor of English Lit?
Sorry.. disagree.

Hwyl
04-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Gareth, while you're lightening up, you might want to look at your own prejudices.:rolleyes:
I try to every day. I still end up liking you.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
04-11-2007, 11:20 AM
That's probably because he light's up too Gareth.
I still have to wonder about the quality of what he's smoking.

hokiefan
04-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Bobby.. You have it backwards.. An Athlete first and then a student.
That is the way it works..
Now... how many athletes are accepted at college based on skills and not grades?
How many athletes are tutored for free.
How many athletes after winning an Basketball championship and give up college to go into the pros.
Nope, you have it backwards.. Colleges/universities will bend over backwards to keep a star athlete on a team...
How many coaches with a few championships under his belt makes probably five times the amount as a Professor of English Lit?
Sorry.. disagree.

In football and men's basketball I agree with you. In most other sports, the academic standards are much higher. In soccer circles, the best thing you can do to enhance your chances of getting a scholarship is to be a good student. Most non-revenue sports don't have as many scholarships as roster spots, so most kids only have partial rides anyway. So most of them are students first. Not all by any means, but most. Certainly, they are good athletes, but if they can't get in, no admissions person is going to bend over backwards to let in a pole vaulter. A tight end maybe, but not a pole vaulter. A team like a women's soccer team might have 2-3 players on full ride, they are the stars, and likely athletes first. The rest will be partials, maybe 1/4 - 1/2 depending on their ability. Some coaches will help the really good students get academic scholarships to save the athletic ones. So most of the kids are students first.

When I was in school back in the dim ages, Va Tech had a good baseball team, that hit something like .350 as a team. I had one of the players in a senior Mech Eng class and I asked him about it. He said all the good pitchers (and the majority of the rest of the good players) were already playing pro out of high school, and that they were all basically students that happened to be good baseball players. A handfull were athletes first, but the majority were students that loved sports.

Cheers,

Bobby

S.V. Airlie
04-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Bobby.. I am not going to disagree with you. There are sports that trigger all sorts of dreams in the viewer.. Hockey, Basketball, football. And there are sports that few follow.
However, I sense that those athletes that entered a scoll.. any scool, who could play say soccer, got into college on their own steam.. academics and not because they could play soccer.

ccmanuals
04-11-2007, 11:46 AM
I find it hard to believe the guy is even on the radio at all given he has horrible ratings.

hokiefan
04-11-2007, 11:52 AM
The thing that makes football and men's basketball different is that they are essentially the minor leagues for the NFL and the NBA. In most other sports, there is either a direct path to the big time, like Major League Baseball, or there is no big time. In some sports that may change as the MLS catches on (or not) for men's soccer, or the WNBA for women's basketball. You almost have to play college football to get a shot at the NFL, college soccer is considered by many coaches to hinder a professional soccer career.

Sorry to drift so, doesn't change my opionion of what the J*ck*$$ said.

Bobby

S.V. Airlie
04-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Bobby.. I do disagree about what Imus said. If I had a complaint, it would be with the media that has nothing better to do.
No one.. athlete or otherwise should be called the names Imus used...
It does not matter...
But.. I think it is being hyped up more than it needs to be.

rbgarr
04-12-2007, 04:11 AM
If I understand the situation, he's off MSNBC TV... but not radio. Lost his TV advertising. Money talks.

Tylerdurden
04-12-2007, 05:41 AM
He's done hundreds of millions of dollars worth of good, for a wide variety of causes, and never misses a chance to pat himself on the back for it. If the combination of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton could claim half of his contributions to society, I still wouldn't give a rat's patoot for anything they have to say.

These people don't give a damn thing away unless there is benefit's to it. They make no sacrifice in they're giving and You will always see it declared in their taxes.
In your book Hitler would have been ok as long as he gave large amounts to the Red Cross.

In your dumbass ways you will still be singing the elites praises as they lay you down to convert you into Soilent Green.
Your just fishfood to them and your to stupid to know it.