PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy based Glue

JonRiley56
04-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Hi,

I have been using the Gen L epoxy and adding silica and microspheres to make material for bonding and filets etc. Does anyone know of a premixed epoxy that will work ? IT is a hassle mixing material for small work and I seem to waste an awful lot.

Thanks

jon

Stiletto
04-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Ready made epoxy glue that just needs the hardener added is readily available at most hardware stores here, it works out quite a lot more expensive than mixing your own, but if you end up avoiding waste it would probably even out in price.
Check your hardware store, or builders supply merchant.

Bruce Hooke
04-09-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm not sure if you are talking about epoxy that already has the fillers mixed in or epoxy where you just squeeze it out of one tube so there is no need to mix the resin and hardener. The latter is impossible as far as I know. The basic nature of epoxy is a separate resin and hardener that once mixed together start the curing process. The former (epoxy with fillers already mixed in) might in theory be possible but would not be very practical because different jobs require different amounts and types of filler.

There was a discussion here recently about ways to mix up small batches of epoxy. Maybe someone can find it...

David G
04-09-2007, 09:26 PM
System Three now offers a line of pre-mixed epoxies, formulated for boatbuilding. I haven't used any - or even heard anything secondhand yet, but they have a good reputation in general. Google them, and you ought to find their whole line of products.

Tom Robb
04-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Yes small batches can waste a lot of expensive epoxy.
But all woodworking generates waste - sometimes lots of it, and if you're philosophically minded, all existance involves vast amounts of waste and inefficiency. We all do out bit to promote the heat death of the universe.

Anyone here have neat tricks for not overdoing small batches so much?

Bruce Hooke
04-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I use a good scale to mix small batches, which lets me mix pretty small quantities. To some degree it just comes down to visualizing well how much your going to need...

JimConlin
04-10-2007, 03:45 PM
I use the West System pumps. A one-squirt batch costs about $.35.
I value my time, too. I have not found a method which is as reliable as the pumps and which saves enough of the $.35 to be worth the value of the added time spent.

kc8pql
04-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know of a premixed epoxy that will work ?

I've used both T-88 and Gel Magic from System Three for small batches and quick fixes away from the shop. They both work fine. T-88 has longer pot life, Gel Magic is a bit thicker. Neither is thick enough for fillits and both are much more expensive than mixing your own.

Cuyahoga Chuck
04-10-2007, 07:35 PM
I have some stuff I bought at the hardware store. It is a gray color. I think it is thickened with portland cement or some other inexpensive powder. It works but it is expensive and ugly.
I prefer to mix my own of whatever amount because I have a variety of thickeners for different uses and to produce different colors.

few3
04-10-2007, 09:07 PM
What are you building?